GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Front mount intercooler versus upgraded stock location intercooler questions

Rotaryknight

Go Kart Champion
All right, since my thread was bumped back up and I am still looking at intercoolers, can someone explain this to me...

The Neuspeed intercooler appears to have a core totaling about 458.25 cubic inches whereas the Integrated Engineering core is roughly 885.06 cubic inches.

Call me crazy, but how can being out there in front make up for the fact that the core on the Neuspeed is so small? Also, what are Neuspeed's IATs compared to the APR, Integrated Engineering, and Wagner Tuning stock location replacement intercoolers?

If I was going to get a stock location I'd probably go Wagner though IE looks pretty interesting.

Neuspeed's size is what it is so you don't have to cut the support. It is wider than what I run and does fill the front well. I don't think anyone has done IAT readings on it.

U-20T i'm so jealous of your set up........It what I was hoping mine would have been.

zrickety

The Fixer
I love that ATP Garret intercooler but doesn't the top half get covered by the bumper?

ChrisB1

Go Kart Champion
Neuspeed's size is what it is so you don't have to cut the support. It is wider than what I run and does fill the front well. I don't think anyone has done IAT readings on it.

This is what concerns me about the Neuspeed. If it was so great, they would be advertising their numbers. Since they don't publish any data of their own, it makes me cast doubt on the effectiveness of their product. I've been burned too many times by the "trust us, you will like it" type of answers that I received when inquiring about that particular intercooler.

I want to see what the IATs are on a day with a particular ambient temperature and relative humidity (edit: preferably summer temps with high humidity). I'd also like to see it compared to the stock intercooler under similar conditions.

nvturbo

Go Kart Champion
ChrisB, if you want a true custom fit FMIC like mine and RotaryKnight's, let me know. I spent about $455 for my setup ~ $385 intercooler and the rest in materials (piping, silicone hoses, clamps, etc). BTW, the intercooler is made in 'MURICA (Vancouver, WA).

Last edited:

mr wrong

Drag Racing Champion
This is what concerns me about the Neuspeed. If it was so great, they would be advertising their numbers. Since they don't publish any data of their own, it makes me cast doubt on the effectiveness of their product. I've been burned too many times by the "trust us, you will like it" type of answers that I received when inquiring about that particular intercooler.

I want to see what the IATs are on a day with a particular ambient temperature and relative humidity (edit: preferably summer temps with high humidity). I'd also like to see it compared to the stock intercooler under similar conditions.

My IAT's are consistently 15-20 degrees over ambient. My stock IC was around 40-50.

Velociraptor Thrust

Go Kart Champion

But the companies that do post their numbers and dyno sheets are often wrong, or unobtainable for everyday use. Sadly just the way it is. But I do feel ya with your worries.

FriggenT

Go Kart Champion
One thing that Ray told me over at raimotorsports was that no matter which intercooler you go with, the air will only get as low as the outside temp will let it. You could put 3 ICs on a car and it won't get any cooler. He agreed that the stock location was not the most ideal however.

FriggenT

Go Kart Champion
ChrisB, if you want a true custom fit FMIC like mine and RotaryKnight's, let me know. I spent about $455 for my setup ~ $385 intercooler and the rest in materials (piping, silicone hoses, clamps, etc). BTW, the intercooler is made in 'MURICA (Vancouver, WA).

THIS!! Still planning on using your setup soon man!

RGTI13

Go Kart Champion
I run a EuroJet OEM location IC that I picked up for 350 used. My IAT temps are never more than 10 above ambient. I much prefer OEM location intercoolers over FMIC for our cars.

It works great. I don't even see heat soak anymore (I was K04 with stock IC) and I'm in south FL. FMIC's in comparison to OEM location intercoolers are less efficient. They require a longer distance of air travel. Just for that I went OEM.

The above setup looks very clean though. I'm also an advocator of "sleepers"... So I don't like to visabily show my IC. Still on OEM wheels and tires w/ GT3071.

Injen1us

Drag Race Newbie
Despite Neuspeeds small size it seems (from various reports on this site) that the IATs are pretty close to that offered by larger SMIC companies...

I think the price of Neuspeed's kit is the big problem. If i was spending that much money on an IC (which i wouldnt) I would go with Wagner or IE. I swapped to an SPM IC (which is basically a godspeed) for 400 bucks brand new and I still pull the same boost on v3.1 file and much better temps in higher rev ranges than i ever got with my s3 upgrade.

Neuspeed's product looks great and is easy to install... but that price is not worth it to me. And im OCD... the stock ic would have to come out; meaning i save no time on install either

ViRtUaLheretic

╭∩╮(︶__︶&#6
You can't fit a front mount core large enough to outperform a quality stock replacement or twin cooler. The stock location can fit a larger core and more importantly one with a lot more frontal area. This advantage outweighs the disadvantage of being behind the AC condenser.

If you alter or change the crash bar the sky is the limit....