GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Loud screeching noise from engine bay

sauceman101

Ready to race!
I had an old guy called "Bob the Extractor" come down from LA. With the motor still in he bent his aching body over the engine and carefully used a rounded cone dremel bit. Took him 90 mins of careful work. End result below.

yea, I have patience but not that much, and probably not the perfect tools for that job at that angel, At least I'll be a able to take care of a few other maintenance items with the motor out much easier, know of any good DIY cam chain tensioner guides? haha

Also, is the thread pitch 1.25? making it an M8x1.25 I imagine, going to pic up something to clean the threads up tonight

mto386

Go Kart Newbie
yea, I have patience but not that much, and probably not the perfect tools for that job at that angel, At least I'll be a able to take care of a few other maintenance items with the motor out much easier, know of any good DIY cam chain tensioner guides? haha

Also, is the thread pitch 1.25? making it an M8x1.25 I imagine, going to pic up something to clean the threads up tonight

Not sure. I have the part number at home. I can look tonight.

sauceman101

Ready to race!
Not sure. I have the part number at home. I can look tonight.

Yea I have the part number, but even looking on etka it doesn't give thread pitch, I'm gonna take a fairly educated guess and go with 1.25 since most exhaust manifold studs are of that pitch and looking at a picture of this stud next to a m8x1.25 online looks a lot closer than m8x1.0. Hopefully I'm correct!

sauceman101

Ready to race!
Came out with a little bit of work last night, only the first two or three threads are a little muffed. Was able to bottom out a new stud by hand within a minute or two. Still going to clean the threads up tomorrow when my tap for it comes, hopefully will have the updated tensioner and cover shortly as well as the few tools to do that and do the cam cradle, then it's slapping it all back together and crossing fingers that there are no leaks

twovalvekid

Need to remove the intake & turbo heat shield to use a mirror or camera.

Damn ok. Mine sounds like it's coming right from the top of the motor and the idle can be wonky. Also threw a code or two before the noise started, so I'm wondering if as cheap as the PCV is if i should try that route.

mto386

Go Kart Newbie
Damn ok. Mine sounds like it's coming right from the top of the motor and the idle can be wonky. Also threw a code or two before the noise started, so I'm wondering if as cheap as the PCV is if i should try that route.

If the idle is wonky and it comes from the top of the motor it is most likely the PCV.

twovalvekid

If the idle is wonky and it comes from the top of the motor it is most likely the PCV.

That's what I'm thinking. On part throttle and at idle it can skip/hiccup/be a little rough. But is smooth on hard acceleration and doesn't feel like it's lost power at all. Also the code has been intermittent and was before the noise showed.

sauceman101

Ready to race!
That's what I'm thinking. On part throttle and at idle it can skip/hiccup/be a little rough. But is smooth on hard acceleration and doesn't feel like it's lost power at all. Also the code has been intermittent and was before the noise showed.

I never threw a code because of that noise caused by the exhaust manifold leak, do you know your code, and like Greyon said if your idle has been affected it's most likely your PCV valve

Last edited:

DELETE

Autocross Champion
Are you guys CBFA with aftermarket intakes? Could the start up "whistle" be from your guys secondary air filter... iirc that only sucks in on initial start up.

If youre hearing a whistle/flute noise around 3k-4k rpm (and you have a open style intakes...) its normal its just the harmonics of having a open style intake.

I have the same noise and symptoms and it started immediately upon installation of aftermarket intake with SAI. I didn't think it was DV because it's not coming from under the engine. It actually sounds like it's coming exactly from the SAI filter.

sauceman101

Ready to race!
Well after getting it all back together and driving it three times this week that my screeching noise is gone for good. It was the exhaust gasket, if I haven't mentioned it somewhere already in this thread, I also noticed the backside of the coolant line that goes into the side of the head above the SAI was melted a bit by where the exhaust was leaking. I wonder how long I could have still driven it before that heat got through the line and caused a coolant leak. Anyway it was replaced as well. Now to chase down my P2008 and P0011 codes, and one motor oil leak in the RMS area that should be there after replacing it while doing the clutch. It never ends:mad0259:

Pdotc

Ready to race!
View attachment 50971View attachment 50972View attachment 50973

So Tuesday night I was able to replace my SAI pump to kombi valve hose, that eliminated my P0491 and P2440 codes, still have the P0420 code as well as the noise. Without taking the intake off looking from the side the exhaust bolt seems good, there's a little soot, but idk that it's what you dealt with. Didn't pull the kombi valve to check the gasket because it looked like something I only want to do once

Do you have a part number?