GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR Presents the 2.0 TSI ECU Update (Version 2.0!)

corydd

Go Kart Champion
Did anyone else have random cylinder misfires (P0300) with v2.1? Mine is a 2013 6mt. Newly installed R8 coilpacks and NGK PFR7S8EG plugs (0.032").

The misfires are on cylinders 1, 2 and 4.

What's your carbon situation like Deep?

bryngutierrez46

Ready to race!
I just had a carbon cleaned up in janurary and since i got the new version car has been acting wierd idles wierd when in low rpm move alot up and down -.-

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
I just had a carbon cleaned up in janurary and since i got the new version car has been acting wierd idles wierd when in low rpm move alot up and down -.-

Sounds like an intake manifold or PCV issue.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
In that case, shouldn't the error code pinpoint that?

Yea, my intake manifold went out earlier this year and the rpms were all over the place at idle, but other than that it drove fine. They'd shoot up to like 1800 and even get down to like 600-700 rpms without stalling. Next day I had 6 codes and intake manifold flap sensor was one of them. Here's all the codes that came up when I scanned... http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2381376&postcount=25
Had the manifold replaced and all the codes went away.

deep.mit

Go Kart Champion
Yea, my intake manifold went out earlier this year and the rpms were all over the place at idle, but other than that it drove fine. They'd shoot up to like 1800 and even get down to like 600-700 rpms without stalling. Next day I had 6 codes and intake manifold flap sensor was one of them. Here's all the codes that came up when I scanned... http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2381376&postcount=25
Had the manifold replaced and all the codes went away.

Cool, that helps. Thanks!

thatspsychotic

Ready to race!
Did anyone else have random cylinder misfires (P0300) with v2.1? Mine is a 2013 6mt. Newly installed R8 coilpacks and NGK PFR7S8EG plugs (0.032").

The misfires are on cylinders 1, 2 and 4.

I've seen a few isolated misfires on the same plugs and coils, but not enough for an actual code, but I'm not sure whether it has changed with V2.1 or not. Either way I plan to re-gap my plugs to 0.028" for good measure.

Uberryan

Banned
So I got in my wastegate clip, fitted it and the rattle is still there. I can hear it maybe...slightly less... but that might be a combo of wind and other outside interference making me tune it out more. Gonna see if I can get the dealer to check it out, as it almost sounds like the cams are rattling or something to that effect. Does the cam positioning sensor trigger a MIL if that goes bad? I literally have like maybe 2-3 months left on my powertrain warranty, so I really want to find a solution to this issue.

A friend suggested that it sounded like my MKV when the HPFP destroyed the cam follower, and the cam lobe, HPFP and everything in between had to be rebuilt. I almost want to change my oil to look for metal chunks.

Weird thing is there's no noticeable loss in power...

Last edited:

thatspsychotic

Ready to race!
So I got in my wastegate clip, fitted it and the rattle is still there. I can hear it maybe...slightly less... but that might be a combo of wind and other outside interference making me tune it out more. Gonna see if I can get the dealer to check it out, as it almost sounds like the cams are rattling or something to that effect. Does the cam positioning sensor trigger a MIL if that goes bad? I literally have like maybe 2-3 months left on my powertrain warranty, so I really want to find a solution to this issue.

A friend suggested that it sounded like my MKV when the HPFP destroyed the cam follower, and the cam lobe, HPFP and everything in between had to be rebuilt. I almost want to change my oil to look for metal chunks.

Weird thing is there's no noticeable loss in power...

Have the dealer check your timing chain tensioner, seriously. There's an inspection hole in the timing chain cover, they may be able to see if the tensioner is worn. I'm kind of paranoid about this on my car too. The EA888 is not prone to the cam follower problem that the EA113 had, so no problem there. Tensioner failure can be catastrophic though.

Uberryan

Banned
Have the dealer check your timing chain tensioner, seriously. There's an inspection hole in the timing chain cover, they may be able to see if the tensioner is worn. I'm kind of paranoid about this on my car too. The EA888 is not prone to the cam follower problem that the EA113 had, so no problem there. Tensioner failure can be catastrophic though.

Yeah, gonna have them check the timing chain. I know there's no real known cam follower failure on these, but the sound it makes is similar.

Jonrogers421

Passed Driver's Ed
noise

Yeah, gonna have them check the timing chain. I know there's no real known cam follower failure on these, but the sound it makes is similar.

Check the soundaktor for the rattle as well.

TKE Mario

Ready to race!
so got around to the dyno to see what APR stage 2 v2.1 puts down after being very pleased with the butt dyno, the real dyno confirmed it today and let's just say :clap::happyanim: this thing is a torque monster

Best 4th gear pull was 251whp/312wtq on a dynojet (temp was 69, and relatively humid day)

For the record I was extremely disappointed with their old file when I dyno'ed in the fall, which put down 227whp/268wtq (same dyno, same location, similiar temps)

sooooo :thumbsup: to v2.1

they will email me the graphs Monday

GTIx

Passed Driver's Ed
Well after limping around with the 2.0 version for 3-4 weeks I went out Tuesday a day after the great Houston flood through the high water areas to get the 2.1 version stage one. The problems are officially solved, beast mode ON! DSG shifting check, launch check, first gear tire spin check, second gear tire spin check, dammit how can you get a decent 0 to 60 time in this car :(