GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR Presents the 2.0 TSI ECU Update (Version 2.0!)

Abbott Martin

Go Kart Champion
Updated from Stage 1 v1.2 to Stage 1+ v2.1 morning.
Had them add program switching & did Stock/91 High/93 High.
The dealer stated I couldn't have 91 high/93 low/93 high but I tried to was under the impression it is possible so long as hey are all the same stage.

First impressions after about 30 miles of driving:
- noticeable power increase - glad I've got a set of new Pilot Sport A/S3+ on my car!
-throttle much smoother
-4th gear seems to have increased pulling power
- DSG shifts feel the same as with my old version
- first gear seems more usable
- lifting off the gas pedal doesn't have that "on/off" feeling

TKE Mario

Ready to race!
The dealer stated I couldn't have 91 high/93 low/93 high but I tried to was under the impression it is possible so long as hey are all the same stage.

- noticeable power increase - glad I've got a set of new Pilot Sport A/S3+ on my car!
-throttle much smoother

i second your last point, lettinf the gas/engine braking is significantly reduced!

CGorman68

Passed Driver's Ed
Upgraded from v2.0 to v2.1 today and had a twenty minute drive. Shifts in manual are definitely fixed - like stock or v1.2. No other changes to v2.0 that I can tell so far.

Very happy with it. Nearly forgot how fast the dsg shifts were.

TKE Mario

Ready to race!
I wanna see the video if you do put one up! I'm loving the mod list! It's not slammed, stretched, or otherwise crazy stuff!?! You're my hero, I miss my PSS suspension (sold em when I thought I was gonna sell the car last year and get a mk7, changed my mind), and stare at it every day in my Amazon shopping cart lol.

I absolutely love the mod list, well done good sir, well DONE! ��

Kei

hahaha alright i'll definitely upload them to youtube tonight then. Thank you sir, I take a couple steps back to appreciate how far she's come as well. And yes you can ask any of my car buddies, most of which are bagged "who's the last person you'd expect to run bags and stretched tires, they'll say me lol. You're absolutely right to miss them, I fuckin love this suspension, I'm in the market for an anti lift kit and sway bar end links and then I think my suspension will be exactly where I want it to be.

Thanks again, if you're going to waterfest this year (dunno how far you are) stop by my car, I'll be showing it on Sunday for sure, the car will have some new goodies by then :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Abbott Martin

Go Kart Champion

-throttle much smoother

Further impressions:
1st gear: the torque limiting is fantastic. 1st is not longer a victim to touch throttle input and excessive torque. Once I shift into 2nd I can FEEL the increase in torque but it balance well with the higher gear.
4th gear: I keep looking down thinking the car is in 3rd when it's in 4th. Shifts from 3--4 feel like the old tune shifting from 2--3.

Torque steer: yeah, it pretty much exists now whenever getting on it. Before it only did in extreme cases. The EPAS does what it can so the wheel isn't pulled from my hands but it takes some winding of the wheel to keep her on course.

Verdict:
Feels similar to our Mk7 Stage 1 low output without the loss of "character".

Last edited:

TKE Mario

Ready to race!
I wanna see the video if you do put one up! I'm loving the mod list! It's not slammed, stretched, or otherwise crazy stuff!?! You're my hero, I miss my PSS suspension (sold em when I thought I was gonna sell the car last year and get a mk7, changed my mind), and stare at it every day in my Amazon shopping cart lol.

I absolutely love the mod list, well done good sir, well DONE! ?

Kei

Here you go: (I don't know how to embed them here so here's the links)
1st pull:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TLFRdIPXkg

3rd pull (best result):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmaJc_L0xKc

my apologies for recording vertically

Uberryan

Banned
Definitely a much longer rev hang after taking your foot off the gas. Makes braking a bit trickier, and I imagine I'll burn through pads quicker on this tune, but it's whatever.

Took my car into the dealer, drove the foreman around and he heard the rattle. Says it sounds like something in the transmission that's following the RPMs. So thankfully I'm in under the drivetrain warranty. He also noted my coolant was low and wanted to check timing to be safe. So I might be getting a few things handled right before PT ends.

pgreene1

Ready to race!
Upgraded from v2.0 to v2.1 today and had a twenty minute drive. Shifts in manual are definitely fixed - like stock or v1.2. No other changes to v2.0 that I can tell so far.

Very happy with it. Nearly forgot how fast the dsg shifts were.

I had the same experience. After driving with V2.0 for a few weeks I felt like the shifts were getting better, but then I finally got the 2.1 update installed and WOW! The DSG shifts are practically instantaneous now. I am loving this tune.

zVp

Go Kart Champion
Definitely a much longer rev hang after taking your foot off the gas. Makes braking a bit trickier, and I imagine I'll burn through pads quicker on this tune, but it's whatever.

Took my car into the dealer, drove the foreman around and he heard the rattle. Says it sounds like something in the transmission that's following the RPMs. So thankfully I'm in under the drivetrain warranty. He also noted my coolant was low and wanted to check timing to be safe. So I might be getting a few things handled right before PT ends.

Found this as well. I'm still not used to it after driving with this tune for the last week.

gtboost

Drag Racing Champion
After logging much more miles on v2.1 here are some of the things not fixed from v2.0 to v2.1.

1. Downshifting to a lower gear engine still overshoots next gears rpm and downshifting is extremely slow. Using a stopwatch I got about 1 second from clicking - until next gear engages. At 3500-4200 rpm engine overshoots next year by 100rpm then grabs.
At 5000rpm next gear is overshot by 200+ rpm and takes just as long to engage.

2. I have noticed multiple times low load 2nd gear clutch slips. This is observed with significant shudder/vibration. Typically happens at 1700-2300rpm.

3. Very low speed in heavy traffic to the point where it will not drop to 1st gear. trans will slip 2nd gear to get up to speed significantly longer than with the pre-v2.0 file. I have also observed a shudder/vibration before full engagement indicating clutch slip.

4. Shifting quickness at WOT is noticeably slower and rpm drops slower vs old pre-v2.0.

My main concern is all of these issues are causing accelerated clutchpack wear. I'm concerned to the point of potentially going back to v1.2 dsg file because shifting was great on that file. Not one of the issues above existed with v1.2 dsg file.

Abbott Martin

Go Kart Champion
After logging much more miles on v2.1 here are some of the things not fixed from v2.0 to v2.1.

1. Downshifting to a lower gear engine still overshoots next gears rpm and downshifting is extremely slow. Using a stopwatch I got about 1 second from clicking - until next gear engages. At 3500-4200 rpm engine overshoots next year by 100rpm then grabs.

2. I have noticed multiple times low load 2nd gear clutch slips. This is observed with significant shudder/vibration. Typically happens at 1700-2300rpm.

3. Very low speed in heavy traffic to the point where it will not drop to 1st gear. trans will slip 2nd gear to get up to speed significantly longer than with the pre-v2.0 file. I have also observed a shudder/vibration before full engagement indicating clutch slip.

4. Shifting quickness at WOT is noticeably slower and rpm drops slower vs old pre-v2.0.

My main concern is all of these issues are causing accelerated clutchpack wear. I'm concerned to the point of potentially going back to v1.2 dsg file because shifting was great on that file. Not one of the issues above existed with v1.2 dsg file.

My stock DSG file doesn't seem to be having that issue. Maybe I'm not as keen on noticing those things.

corydd

Go Kart Champion

It's posts like this that make me hesitant to get the 2.1 update. My car has 95k miles on it and the DSG box still shifts as smooth as ever, and I've never had any complaints about the 1.2 file. Do I risk having slower/less responsive shifts or possible increased wear on my gearbox? The new tune produces a ton of torque, and I can't imagine installing new clutch packs is cheap.

Are all of those possible issues worth the new powerband of 2.1? I'm on the fence.

SweetJones_29

Ready to race!
2 weeks in on v2.1. In D mode I've noticed I have to press the gas more to get the car to accelerate and the gears change quicker. Seems like I'm in 6th gear by 35 mph. My mpg in city driving have gone down 2 to 3 mpg.

gtboost

Drag Racing Champion
Are all of those possible issues worth the new powerband of 2.1? I'm on the fence.

There are multiple people claiming its flawless on their dsg's. Maybe I'm just hyper sensitive to what my car is doing. i am going to borrow a vag-com
To do some logs and see if it's for sure slipping. If it is I'm going back to pre v2.0 engine and pre v1.6 dsg flash.

My only complaint with the old files was the hole in the powerband at 2800-3100rpm. Otherwise it drove perfect and power was sufficient. The new added power and smoothness was a big improvement at WOT and Part throttle. At this point right now it seems they took two steps back on dsg shifting.

gtboost

Drag Racing Champion
2 weeks in on v2.1. In D mode I've noticed I have to press the gas more to get the car to accelerate and the gears change quicker. Seems like I'm in 6th gear by 35 mph. My mpg in city driving have gone down 2 to 3 mpg.

IIRC stock tcu part throttle will have you in 6th by 40mph