GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

17" vs 18"

kampfire

17x8 et 45 235/45r17

kampfire

17's look so much better with the fatter tires. What springs are you on? Any mods to make it not rub?

I'm on VWR coilovers. Just screw modded the front. Nothing in the rear. No rub even on Michigan roads.

Agreed, 17s require a bit meatier tire and subtle drop.

BeOurProtector

Reviving this thread, if you don't mind! 2013 mk6 GTI

HAVE: Detroit 18x7.5 et51 225/40r18

GETTING: BBS RK 17x8 et35 215/50r17

WILL BE STOCK SUSPENSION

I want to fill the wheel well more. Car currently pokes about 1/4 inch of wheel. Will 225/50/r17 or 215/50r17 tires rub ANYWHERE on my BBS wheels? I've also herd on vortex that I should watch out for my car bottoming out and the top of the wheel or tire hitting the lip of the outer fender well. I've never herd of such a thing. Any one running these?

Stinger

Ready to race!
I've been running 215x45 on 17x9" ET43. Within the next 3 months I will need to change tires and looking to reduce the stretch with 225x45 or even 235x45.

Will either not fit? My other concern is I don't want my tire to stick out of the wheel well...

corrado917

Go Kart Champion
A year ago or so I gave up my search for a 18" set of RPF1. I was dead set to buy a 17" set from forum’s classifieds, to my surprise the seller by mistake posted them as 17" but in reality they were 18", I bought them.. They are 16.9lbs just the rim, you can feel the difference in handling & with Direzza ZII (the grip is crazy). I like the brake upgrade idea & might try a set of spacers if I ever go that route, but to tell you the truth, not feeling let go lighter wheels for a heavier brake upgrade: I'm sure they are good (TT-RS brakes) but a weight diet might work closely good too.

zrickety

The Fixer
Wow crazy light and looks like perfect fitment.

corrado917

Go Kart Champion
Yeah they look good; I think the visual is greatly benefited from the tire design.

BeOurProtector

I've been running 215x45 on 17x9" ET43. Within the next 3 months I will need to change tires and looking to reduce the stretch with 225x45 or even 235x45.

Will either not fit? My other concern is I don't want my tire to stick out of the wheel well...

Why is the tire sticking out of the wheel well bad? (Besides looks)

Stinger

Ready to race!
Not bad, just ugly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Stinger

Ready to race!

Stinger

Ready to race!