GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2013 GLI 6mt - gear oil

Yeah, its harder to shift when cold, and takes more effort. Feels like I'm rowing into a gravel or rocks, and close to almost grinding if it dont set properly. I just go drive gingerly until car is up to temp. 3k shifts. (normal for me regardless until car is to temp)

FLtrooper

Go Kart Champion
Yeah, its harder to shift when cold, and takes more effort. Feels like I'm rowing into a gravel or rocks, and close to almost grinding if it dont set properly. I just go drive gingerly until car is up to temp. 3k shifts. (normal for me regardless until car is to temp)

You Should of stayed with the oem fluid. These are daily drivers not race cars.

:)

True that!

There was big confusion at time of OEM oil purchase. All online vendors were selling the smaller bottles. the dealer had the tall round bottles and the oil looked brown and very thin..

Guess there was a change based upon build date?

zrickety

The Fixer
Unlikely. Maybe a change in their supplier but the fluid should be consistent.

mattkosem1

Ready to race!
What I am saying is that most any of the quality aftermarket oils: Motul, Amsoil, Redline, etc; all are better than OEM. OEM is a very thin fluid for a manual; it is actually far closer to an ATF than a standard manual oil. By its very nature it is impossible for it to protect as well as the thicker "premium" manual oils with friction modifiers.

I am not saying OEM fluid won't work... I am simply saying there are other fluids that work even better.
I've had pretty mixed luck with non-oem fluids in the 02q. I do not disagree that, from a protection standpoint, that you can do better than the OEM stuff but from an ease of use perspective it is difficult to find one that covers as wide a spread of conditions (ambient temps and miles) as the OEM oil.

Straight up MT-90 was way too stiff in the cold (bad until fully warmed up), but nice and smooth in the hot months. It has been my go to on VW gearboxes for a pretty long time, but I don't love it in these ones. 50:50 MT-90 and MTL was better across temperature ranges but the shift quality seemed to degrade noticeably after 20k or so to the point where it needed to changed. It was pretty stock like from cold.

Motul Gear 300 was great in the summer months, and not awful but not good in the cold months. Shifts after a cold start on a 0 degree (F) day were pretty slow going for the first couple of miles, which is pretty unacceptable to me, but only the first couple were bad closer to 30 degrees. I didn't run this one long enough to comment on longevity because of the cold shifting quality.

Whch oils have you run, under which conditions, and how did you like them? A company named Specialty Formulations used to make an oil named MTL-R, which is the best I've had in any VW transmission, but (sadly) I ran out and the product vanished. I'm always interested in trying something new if someone has any other good suggestions. The OEM stuff is pretty pricy, so avoiding dumping it for the summer by having a nice fluid that can take miles and cold temps would be awesome. If I lived somewhere warm, I think either MT-90 or Motul Gear 300 would be in my gearboxes year round.

I've heard good things about the Ford XT-M5-QS, but haven't yet had a chance to try it. It's definitely in my short list of oils to try, though.

--Matt

Last edited:

mattkosem1

Ready to race!
Anyone? I'm genuinely interested in vetted options. I'll probably give the Ford stuff a try in the spring if I don't find any better options.

--Matt

zrickety

The Fixer
I'm not familiar with the Ford stuff, but I'll say it again- mobil 1 gear oil has been great in all my cars. And it's $11.

mattkosem1

Ready to race!
Last I checked, they only make a GL-5 in 75w-90. That's no good for yellow metals. I won't be using anything that isn't GL-4, or otherwise rated to be compatible with gearbox components, in my transmission. Besides, if it is thick I what you'd call cold in Georgia, it probably won't be usable in northern winter.

--Matt

zrickety

The Fixer
From my research, mobil 1 meets GL4 and GL5. It's perfectly stable and does not react with yellow metals. I haven't had problems here in Georgia or when I lived in New York. I would look for redline or motul if I didn't like it.

mattkosem1

Ready to race!
From my research, mobil 1 meets GL4 and GL5. It's perfectly stable and does not react with yellow metals. I haven't had problems here in Georgia or when I lived in New York. I would look for redline or motul if I didn't like it.

I'm not sure what you're running, but I only see this one available locally.
http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lubes/PDS/GLXXENPVLMOMobil1_Syn_Gear_Lube_LS_75W-90.aspx

Are you running something other than that? It doesn't, as far as I see in the data sheet, claim any GL4 compatibility.

I'd consider this one, if it were available in the US, but it doesn't seem to be.
http://www.mobil.com/UK-English/Lubes/PDS/GLXXENCVLMOMobilube_1_SHC_75W-90.aspx

I already listed my experiences with various Motul and RedLine products, and their drawbacks, a few posts back. I'm looking for other options that are more weather friendly.

--Matt

zrickety

The Fixer
I will have to look at the bottle, but I believe it's the same stuff that was GL4. From the document you linked-
'Excellent rust, staining and corrosion protection of copper and its alloys'
That is the yellow metals you are concerned about. I put this stuff in at 55k and am now at 105k with no gearbox issues. It has been below freezing here too.