GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2014 R photos

hiimelvin

Ready to race!
I REALLY hope that isn't the final design of the R's front bumper. The giant square (automatic distance control?) in the middle of the GTI's lower fascia looks horrible.

MaliciousMK6

Go Kart Champion

Never mind that a prototype car doesn't have the looks of the finished car - this is the coming R.

Im not impressed...

2013R

Drag Race Newbie
I still prefer the unassuming innocence of the MK5 GTI over the MK6 and MK7. My 2006 MK5 was my 2nd favorite next to this one. It gave me a feeling none of the later have.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
maybe im missing something, but not sure how anyone could effectively/properly "judge" what appears to be a test mule, and has GTI brakes, etc... just because there are quad exhausts doesn't make it an R... as with most of these things, have to reserve judgement till actual model pictures are obtained of the final product.

danielj1

Go Kart Champion
maybe im missing something, but not sure how anyone could effectively/properly "judge" what appears to be a test mule, and has GTI brakes, etc... just because there are quad exhausts doesn't make it an R... as with most of these things, have to reserve judgement till actual model pictures are obtained of the final product.

Most folks jump the gun rather than waiting for official manufacture press/photo releases of the model.

Grambles should post a "test mule 101" for the forum :D

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
indeed.. i mean, before the Evo X premiered, the test mules were literally the new X platform and everything, with an IX body on top of it... so that was completely useless in "judging" it.

ottwabbit

Ready to race!
This is a GOLF R test mule, with the R engine, drivetrain, Transmission, exhaust in a body of a base golf... Golf R will look much better, and VW will keep its looks a secret until the day it is released. Look for some fancy LEDs at the front, agressive grilles in the front bumper, LED tails, body kit all around, beautiful interiour with R accents.... THe new R will be amazing, but not revolutionary... Most likely, a nice evolution of the current R

TimS

Go Kart Newbie
It's different from the base and GTI models in other pics, and the captions talk about the specs of the next R. So I'll go out on a limb and say it's an R, even if it is a preliminary testing version.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
which pics exactly?? I'm not seeing anything that looks different than the GTI they've been testing and the initial link is of a longer looking station wagon thing...

preliminary testing can definitely = not production looking, by a long shot.

TimS

Go Kart Newbie
which pics exactly?? I'm not seeing anything that looks different than the GTI they've been testing and the initial link is of a longer looking station wagon thing...
the ones posted in this thread. front bumper is different, as is the exhaust. The captions specifically call it the R, and talk about it having 290hp and a 7 speed DSG.

preliminary testing can definitely = not production looking, by a long shot.
you don't say. It does give an idea what the next one will look like, though. Final product will certainly be different.

TheCastle

Ready to race!
Its always hilarious to me when people judge a car that (1 they've never seen in person and (2 haven't actually driven.

Man is the Internets a cruel judge!

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
the ones posted in this thread. front bumper is different, as is the exhaust. The captions specifically call it the R, and talk about it having 290hp and a 7 speed DSG.

you don't say. It does give an idea what the next one will look like, though. Final product will certainly be different.

It will probably be much different....

Its always hilarious to me when people judge a car that (1 they've never seen in person and (2 haven't actually driven.

Man is the Internets a cruel judge!

yep

flyguy27

Ready to race!
People will buy the R cause it will look good. Takes a little while for people to get used to things. I'll resurrect this post in a couple years for to quote the those r owners who hate it now and will have one by then.