GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

4motion swapped 2.5 turbo Variant Build

SoWalGTI

Autocross Champion
Where did you source the driveshaft? I have been having pretty bad shudder from my build (4motion GTI, stock trans) and I suspect the center support bearing on that bad boy. Thanks! your build looks epic, keep it up!

I got mine from AutoHaas. They almost always have them in-stock.

SoWalGTI

Autocross Champion
Tons of things gong on with the car, but I'll throttle the updates as I finalize each one.

Battery Relocation Complete

• Optima Red AGM Battery
  • Moroso NHRA certified battery box
  • CE AES 2 gauge cables, ferrules and terminals
  • Rockford Fosgate breakers
Power wire goes from the spare well, through the rear trim and behind all interior hatch area trim, then follows main body harness under the side panels and through the firewall to a distribution block.

All the hatch interior trim/floor pieces fits over top and hides the entire setup.

SoWalGTI

Autocross Champion
The engine is going back in the car right now, but first, a quick look at the final turbo setup:

• All hot-side parts coated in Titanium Cerakote thermal ceramic
  • Turbo hot-side fitted with PTP Lava Rock blanket
  • Tial MVR wastegate with PTP Lava Rock wastegate blanket
  • Mirror Polished the compressor housing

SoWalGTI

Autocross Champion

While the build is far from over (and probably will always be improving), I’m at the end of a chapter. The car is officially back together. Aside from bleeding the brakes and triple-checking wiring, it’s a car again! A 4motion, R-Line, 2.5t wagon!

Started working on the cold side piping this week. Getting that wrapped up and the exhaust finalized is the next steps for a first start.

Thumper

Autocross Champion
How much to start a new one? LOL

On a practical side, not sure if you thought of it but be sure to get an Agreed Value insurance policy (not a Stated Value, this is different and pays a lower amount). God forbid anything happens to it, but this is a seriously one of a kind.

uglybastard

Autocross Champion

On a practical side, not sure if you thought of it but be sure to get an Agreed Value insurance policy (not a Stated Value, this is different and pays a lower amount). God forbid anything happens to it, but this is a seriously one of a kind.
There's a guy I know in NY selling his AWD GTI. lots of bespoke racecar parts, and the asking price reflects it. not sure if still available.

SoWalGTI

Autocross Champion

Yes sir. My insurance broker is going to get a custom policy for the car once is finished.

SoWalGTI

Autocross Champion
BFI engine and transmission mounts installed. Build quality and construction is phenomenal. I had to split the order and get the mounts separately due to having a 2.5 with a 6 speed swap. The engine mount provided an extra 1.25" of clearance to get the optimal angles on the charge piping over a stock mount. Speaking of the charge pipes, this is also a preview of that work, but I will follow up with photos and how I had to go about laying them out.

torga

Autocross Champion
Can't wait to see those charge pipe details!

I love my BFI mounts. Not only are they high quality, they're serious engine bay candy. I got myself that AliExpress knock-off Forge washer reservoir neck just so I could see more of the engine mount.

SoWalGTI

Autocross Champion
Finally got all the charge pipes and intake sorted. This took me ALOT of time to figure out. I must have rerouted things about 10 times before settling on this. I stopped tracking my time after 20hrs. In the end, I'm really happy with the routing and fit.

I also replaced the Integrated Engineering valve cover in favor of the Jaaatt Engineering cover. This one offers 4x the baffling, has the port on the drive side, has a machined face finish, and ARP hardware, which I prefer.

Now, I move on to the wastegate recirc and how that will tie into the downpipe. Dreading this next step, as the driveshaft, axles, manifold, ac lines, etc are all in the way. That is the last piece to this puzzle.

torga

Autocross Champion
good golly, miss molly 🥵🥵

riceburner

Autocross Champion
holy shit what a build here! gonna follow this

aregister

Ready to race!
Finally got all the charge pipes and intake sorted. This took me ALOT of time to figure out. I must have rerouted things about 10 times before settling on this. I stopped tracking my time after 20hrs. In the end, I'm really happy with the routing and fit.

I also replaced the Integrated Engineering valve cover in favor of the Jaaatt Engineering cover. This one offers 4x the baffling, has the port on the drive side, has a machined face finish, and ARP hardware, which I prefer.

Now, I move on to the wastegate recirc and how that will tie into the downpipe. Dreading this next step, as the driveshaft, axles, manifold, ac lines, etc are all in the way. That is the last piece to this puzzle.

Why don't you just dump it? I know plenty of people that send the wastegate overboard and have no problems. Side note, I am looking at big turboing my AWD(4motion) GTI and top mount is what I want to do with it as well.
Cheers, great project, very inspiring!