GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR Presents the 2.0 TSI ECU Update (Version 2.0!)

GTIMKV20

APR Stage I
BKR7EIX with R8 coils as well and not an issue since (~40k miles)

The new v2.1 update is growing on me. I loved it in the beginning but I missed the super smooth shifting at WOT with v1.2. Ironically, v2.1 has the amazingly smooth shifts at <80% throttle, and a bit harsh at WOT (sometimes anyways). I've put 300+ miles on it now and I'm getting more used to it and know what to expect and how to shift appropriately. I honestly leave it in D so much more now as between the tune and the APR DSG software it's almost perfect. I still rock manual exclusively when blasting back roads and 3rd to 4th shift blows my mind everytime. 4th is my new favorite gear, never was this the case before. 5th and 6th are weird with the tuned down boost until higher RPMs but I guess it's helping me to not kill my turbo so fine, I'll deal.

All in all, I'm happy.. and sure it has its quirks, but I can live with it as the bulk of the tune is much better. And in the words of Clarkson.... POWER!!!

GTIMKV20

APR Stage I
Further impressions:
1st gear: the torque limiting is fantastic. 1st is not longer a victim to touch throttle input and excessive torque. Once I shift into 2nd I can FEEL the increase in torque but it balance well with the higher gear.
4th gear: I keep looking down thinking the car is in 3rd when it's in 4th. Shifts from 3--4 feel like the old tune shifting from 2--3.

Torque steer: yeah, it pretty much exists now whenever getting on it. Before it only did in extreme cases. The EPAS does what it can so the wheel isn't pulled from my hands but it takes some winding of the wheel to keep her on course.

Verdict:
Feels similar to our Mk7 Stage 1 low output without the loss of "character".

On the torque steer note, I have noticed it much worse as well. ANyone tried out the vagcom setting for torque steer compensation? I had it on for awhile with v1.2 but turned it off as I felt it was killing some power. Might make more sense for this new tune :iono:

Uberryan

Banned
On the torque steer note, I have noticed it much worse as well. ANyone tried out the vagcom setting for torque steer compensation? I had it on for awhile with v1.2 but turned it off as I felt it was killing some power. Might make more sense for this new tune :iono:

I turned it on right before the update and felt like it's really helped a lot without that lost power feeling. I also up'd the brake booster setting to highest as well.

Abbott Martin

Go Kart Champion

Was wondering the same thing. My clutch may be slipping some. Oh well, my clutch pack or DMF are pissing me off.

Left it with my (awesome) independent mechanic and he couldn't diagnose anything. Recommended just drive it and come back when something break or trying to get the VW dealer to give me the 100K DSG warranty some cars built 6 months before mine. Doubtful that's gonna happen. Setting aside $1500 to replace something. Considering doing 10 back-to-back launch control blasts to speed it up hah.

Last edited:

damagi123

Go Kart Champion
Today on cold start up, in 80 degree weather, the engine went up to about 1600 RPM then the revs fell to about 1000 and then it what sounded like a little throttle blip pushed them up to about 1200
This typical?

I have Stg 1 , v2.1 and that's the behavior I see in 60F ( So Cal). I wish APR would comment on this one. It's a bit quirky.

its normal. quit worrying.

Chatchie

Ready to race!
I don't drive my car much so it'll sit for 5 days and when I start it it jumps up to 2k rpms and runs like ass for 2 seconds then drops down.

It doesn't seem right but it's consistent. Thats the absolute only issue I have and it doesn't really bother me.

2010 CC DSG

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

zVp

Go Kart Champion
Downshifting really is clunky and strange. It's getting worse and worse. Maybe I'll run through the adaptation and let it settle. And I'm also getting the overshooting symptom other people have been getting.

Uberryan

Banned
So my car has been at the dealer for that funky chatter that follows higher revs. Tech said he noted a few potential rattles that he was able to fix, as well as replaced the water pump since he noticed a small leak, and updated the timing chain tensioner. He said there was one rattle he could isolate that he felt might be the wastegate even after the clip was in place, or the turbo, maybe engine. Even though I'm under powertrain warranty, he said VW would not be willing to tear down the motor to hunt for this gremlin... does that sound right to anyone? Shouldn't it be treated like a warranty item if the tech assumes the faulty part is covered, as in they go as far as necessary to resolve the issue? I'm confused. He said the car should be ready to go by end of day, but I kind of want them to keep it till they figure out what the hell that sound is...

Abbott Martin

Go Kart Champion
Downshifting really is clunky and strange. It's getting worse and worse. Maybe I'll run through the adaptation and let it settle. And I'm also getting the overshooting symptom other people have been getting.

During downshifts sometimes it rev matches after the shift has happened causing a lurching forward feeling.
It's slight, but noticeable.

zVp

Go Kart Champion
During downshifts sometimes it rev matches after the shift has happened causing a lurching forward feeling.
It's slight, but noticeable.

Yup - that's the one. It's definitely noticeable. Wish they could smooth this out for us

Dans GTI

Ready to race!
So my car has been at the dealer for that funky chatter that follows higher revs. Tech said he noted a few potential rattles that he was able to fix, as well as replaced the water pump since he noticed a small leak, and updated the timing chain tensioner. He said there was one rattle he could isolate that he felt might be the wastegate even after the clip was in place, or the turbo, maybe engine. Even though I'm under powertrain warranty, he said VW would not be willing to tear down the motor to hunt for this gremlin... does that sound right to anyone? Shouldn't it be treated like a warranty item if the tech assumes the faulty part is covered, as in they go as far as necessary to resolve the issue? I'm confused. He said the car should be ready to go by end of day, but I kind of want them to keep it till they figure out what the hell that sound is...

I'd call VW of USA right away and file a complaint. That is complete BS, they address the fact that there is an issue, but refuse to fix it.

Here is a scenario for you.
Lets assume your warranty expires in 3000 miles. At 3005 miles your turbo blows and destroys your catalytic with it, and that funky chatter was your turbo slowly going out. What are you going to do then? Similar types of situations have happened where VW couldn't find the problem, the problem then advanced and turned into something more serious, which the owner was SOL because they went past their warranty.

I would fight to get that issue resolved. High rev chatter sounds serious and could be any number of things.

Uberryan

Banned
I'd call VW of USA right away and file a complaint. That is complete BS, they address the fact that there is an issue, but refuse to fix it.

Here is a scenario for you.
Lets assume your warranty expires in 3000 miles. At 3005 miles your turbo blows and destroys your catalytic with it, and that funky chatter was your turbo slowly going out. What are you going to do then? Similar types of situations have happened where VW couldn't find the problem, the problem then advanced and turned into something more serious, which the owner was SOL because they went past their warranty.

I would fight to get that issue resolved. High rev chatter sounds serious and could be any number of things.
They stated tech believes further chatter can be heard which I still hear it too. Tech states it could be an issue in the turbo or the wastegate but with the clip already applied it would be likely the turbo would be replaced to fix it. I still think it might be clutch packs in the tranny. Same noise before I brought it in. They said VW wouldn't touch any sort of turbo issue due to my tune that I had been flagged for already. Pretty sure they'd have to prove that A caused B.

Uberryan

Banned
Ok, tried my best to record the rattle sound as it's audible in park and neutral under the right conditions. The video is just under the rocker panel on the driver's side.

Chatter/Rattle begins at 3 seconds, then again at 5 seconds and each time I rev to keep the throttle up after that, but sound quality degrades in the same instance due to my exhaust.

SweetJones_29

Ready to race!

Was the water pump and tensioner covered even though your 3 year warranty is expired?