GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR Presents the 2.0 TSI ECU Update (Version 2.0!)

Uberryan

Banned
Was the water pump and tensioner covered even though your 3 year warranty is expired?

Waterpump was covered under powertrain. Tech inspected tensioner, and chain and didn't note any problems there. Seems to think the tensioner update had been applied but was not concerned about it relating to my problem. He did re-do the cam lobe seal as he felt like that was leaking oil.

Chris659

Ready to race!
My water pump was covered under the power train warranty and the dealer knew I was tuned. It was well out of the 3 yr warranty though.

I've still got a few thousand miles to go before my power train warranty is up. Going to have them look into my timing chain tensioner. See if they can make sure it's the updated version or replace it if not

Chatchie

Ready to race!
They aren't gonna replace your tensioner just for the hell of it, it would have to fail.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

TKE Mario

Ready to race!
They aren't gonna replace your tensioner just for the hell of it, it would have to fail.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Or if your engine is knocking and you catch it in time

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
Forgive me for not reading all 103 pages of posts and seeing if this question was addressed already....

The no lift shift feature looks pretty amazing, but how much banging can our gearboxes take?

exedotbat

Ready to race!
Has anyone done any logging with the high and low 93 files? Not sure what a normal range is, but i seem to be pulling time through all the cylinders. Waiting to refill to see if its bad gas.

I've attached the latest 93 high log from yesterday.

Attachments

• log1-edited.jpg
    log1-edited.jpg
    141 KB · Views: 157
Last edited:

Kei_Loper

Ready to race!
Has anyone done any logging with the high and low 93 files? Not sure what a normal range is, but i seem to be pulling time through all the cylinders. Waiting to refill to see if its bad gas.

I've attached the latest 93 high log from yesterday.
I have both the 93 high and 91 low files you're asking about, and do/have done lots of logs. I WAS pulling timing in about the same ranges as you are now before I did my carbon cleaning about 2 weeks ago. Prior to that, my timing pull was increasing steadily, so I knew it was time to get in there and clean up.

Since doing the carbon cleaning (85k miles as of this week), timing pull is no longer an issue for me. I can post some logs if you'd like. Even on a day last week with 86 degree weather, the car didn't pull timing on me.

If she was pulling once and again in the 0-2% range I wouldn't get worked up about it, but once you're in the 3-5% range on all cylinders consistently, it's a good idea to have a look at things.

So, have you done a carbon cleaning yet? (I don't mean seafoam lol)

Kei

exedotbat

Ready to race!
I have both the 93 high and 91 low files you're asking about, and do/have done lots of logs. I WAS pulling timing in about the same ranges as you are now before I did my carbon cleaning about 2 weeks ago. Prior to that, my timing pull was increasing steadily, so I knew it was time to get in there and clean up.

Since doing the carbon cleaning (85k miles as of this week), timing pull is no longer an issue for me. I can post some logs if you'd like. Even on a day last week with 86 degree weather, the car didn't pull timing on me.

If she was pulling once and again in the 0-2% range I wouldn't get worked up about it, but once you're in the 3-5% range on all cylinders consistently, it's a good idea to have a look at things.

Kei

I have not done a carbon cleaning, currently at 29k. Doesn't mean I don't need it done.

I did have the stock intake prior to these logs, and I was pulling much less. Since then I have added a KN filter / Velocity stack, similar setup to Hyde.

I may swap intakes again and re run the logs to see what effect that has.

Nineeightgolf

Ready to race!
Forgive me for not reading all 103 pages of posts and seeing if this question was addressed already....

The no lift shift feature looks pretty amazing, but how much banging can our gearboxes take?

Im not sure there is a quantitative answer to this. Its probably not the best thing you can do for your transmission. I think only you can determine if its worth it or not for your car.

Abbott Martin

Go Kart Champion
The idle is a bit odd. Feels like a cat purring- revs sound as if they're going up then settling, almost like a cat purring. The tach isn't indicating much but it's not smooth.

Last edited:

thatspsychotic

Ready to race!
I have not done a carbon cleaning, currently at 29k. Doesn't mean I don't need it done.

I did have the stock intake prior to these logs, and I was pulling much less. Since then I have added a KN filter / Velocity stack, similar setup to Hyde.

I may swap intakes again and re run the logs to see what effect that has.

Back when I did my first carbon cleaning around 85k miles (lots of highway miles), I was pretty stunned at the difference in how the car drove. I've put on another 30k of more mixed city/highway miles since then, and feel like it needs it again. Another thing to check are the misfire counts, I have a few random misfires that show up at least once per driving cycle if not more, and that is another indicator for needing carbon cleaning.

Your lambdas are good so the intake is probably not messing up MAF readings or anything. Could be that with the higher actual MAF with the less restrictive intake, you're winding up with slightly higher peak cylinder pressures therefore greater knock sensitivity, hence timing pull.

thatspsychotic

Ready to race!

Kei

If you did the carbon cleaning after going V2.1, question for you (and perhaps Arin).

I'm getting a fairly consistent surge/flutter sound and hesitation from about 2500 RPM to ~3100 RPM in 4th gear, and my thought is that it could be from carbon buildup reducing volumetric flow rate at that rev range, thereby pushing the turbo compressor into the unstable flow region creating surge-like flutter sound. The problem is less prevalent in 3rd gear since it spends less time in that rev range due to the gobs of torque, and in 5th and 6th gear they clearly reduced the boost request in that rev range for the same problem. I also recall this same problem back before my first carbon cleaning with V1.2.

I also recall a dyno graph Arin posted having a tiny bit of unstable flow at that range, so presumably excessive carbon buildup would exacerbate this. Edit: found it:

Everyone loves logs. Here's some from ECUx, direct from ram variables at high data rates:

Boost:
- Under map sensor limit
- Request / Actual less than 50 mbar of each other most of the run
- Operates on requested load (proper method)

Wastegate:
- Smooth taper towards redline (not maxing out the full pull & not fixed in calibration [proper method])

Lambda:
- Request and actual right on top of eachother (proper closed loop control)
- Smooth taper
- EGT protection has a smooth taper, rather than fuel dump (stock behavior).

Ignition:
- Smooth increase towards redline
- One small blip of pull on this run from 1 cylinder

Mass airflow:
- Just barely touches turbulent flow (higher gears limited to avoid compressor surge)
- Smooth increase towards redline
- Sensor not jacking readings high

Does this ring a bell for you, did you notice anything similar?