GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR Presents the 2.0 TSI ECU Update (Version 2.0!)

Abbott Martin

Go Kart Champion
More than a couple people have seen this too. Unfortunately everything gets buried lmao.

People have described it as a pulsing, about 50 RPM.

That looks about right. Hard to eye ball it

Andrew429

Ready to race!
More than a couple people have seen this too. Unfortunately everything gets buried lmao.

People have described it as a pulsing, about 50 RPM.

The idle is a bit odd. Feels like a cat purring- revs sound as if they're going up then settling, almost like a cat purring. The tach isn't indicating much but it's not smooth.

I also have noticed that, along with many others, but yeah as Revolver66 said, the topic just gets buried

Abbott Martin

Go Kart Champion
Arin what's the deal with the odd idle behavior? It doesn't feel normal. By normal I mean the way any car I've ever been in idles.

Kei_Loper

Ready to race!
Back when I did my first carbon cleaning around 85k miles (lots of highway miles), I was pretty stunned at the difference in how the car drove. I've put on another 30k of more mixed city/highway miles since then, and feel like it needs it again. Another thing to check are the misfire counts, I have a few random misfires that show up at least once per driving cycle if not more, and that is another indicator for needing carbon cleaning.

I agree, I was pretty surprised at how well it drives now with my cleaning done. Very smooth and even more powerful than before. Wish I could've down 's dyno afterwards while still on the old Stage 2 file just to see the difference. Oh well, I'll have one from the new one soon enough I'm sure.

If you did the carbon cleaning after going V2.1, question for you (and perhaps Arin).

I'm getting a fairly consistent surge/flutter sound and hesitation from about 2500 RPM to ~3100 RPM in 4th gear, and my thought is that it could be from carbon buildup reducing volumetric flow rate at that rev range, thereby pushing the turbo compressor into the unstable flow region creating surge-like flutter sound. The problem is less prevalent in 3rd gear since it spends less time in that rev range due to the gobs of torque...

Does this ring a bell for you, did you notice anything similar?

I used to have a pronounced feeling like this just as you said in 4th gear being most noticeable. I don't remember this being a real thing now, or at the least it's certainly much much less pronounced. I do very much remember that though clear as day.

I will likely end up doing another cleaning fairly soon just so that I have as perfect of a job as I possibly can do. I ran low on cleaning fluid near the end, so the intake manifold didn't really get done other than a wipe down, and I could have done a better job if I had a mini vacuum attachment(s) to get it perfect, but that me being a perfectionist. I still did a thorough job and took around 6-7 hours total, but I can definitely do it much quicker next time especially with the other tools. It was FAR FAAAAAAAAAAAAR worse looking inside than I had anticipated.

That should give you an idea of what it looked like in there at 84k lol.

Kei

Kei_Loper

Ready to race!
Has anyone else run any acceleration runs using Torque Pro(non hand actuated stopwatch lol) timing app?

I'm thinking about making a new thread specifically for performance measurements like this to show the results of all this tuning we do. 0-60 and 1/4 mile times are good, but in gear measurements are much more relevant to me in showing and comparing performance of one car/tune to another.

It was too damp out last night to use 2nd gear at anything more than normal throttle, so I don't have a guarantee that these are the absolute best numbers since I started in 3rd every time, but still a very good representative of what I've got so far. Times may decrease slightly if I'm able to accelerate through the speeds instead of starting so low in the rev range. Still very good times. ?

93oct Stage 2 V2.1 used....so, who else wants to give some input before I make a thread?

Kei

loopless1

Ready to race!
Arin what's the deal with the odd idle behavior? It doesn't feel normal. By normal I mean the way any car I've ever been in idles.

I think the point is that most people don't have the problem. I don't for example. My idle is smooth and no different from stock. So for those like you that have this issue, you might need to discover the common thread.

Abbott Martin

Go Kart Champion
I think the point is that most people don't have the problem. I don't for example. My idle is smooth and no different from stock. So for those like you that have this issue, you might need to discover the common thread.

I thought mine sounded stock until sitting in the car for several minutes before work one day. Don't be so quick - like hair loss I've luckily avoided - it could happen to you.

Last edited:

DarianBx3

Ready to race!

You very well could have the pulsing idle without knowing it. You are stage 1.

Really hard to notice with an aftermarket exhaust. With stock exhaust, it would be damn near impossible. Tach doesn't even move.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
For me the inconsistent idle was kinda like the high rev cold start issue people keep bringing up. I noticed it a lot more during the first week, but now after having the new tune for 6 weeks and driving about 1800 miles I never notice it.

Maybe I'll switch my p3cars gauge to RPM for a few days to see if it still happens.

APRMK6GTi

Go Kart Champion
I also have noticed that, along with many others, but yeah as Revolver66 said, the topic just gets buried

you're not the only one, ive had this happen immediately after i got tuned, i noticed how different my exhaust sounded as well with the purring/pulsing idle. it is so miniscule you won't see it on the tach, but can see it with my p3 gauge. it does make the car sound aggressive or running some type of cam or something haha..but the car has been running good and strong otherwise.

CaNANDian

Ready to race!
Has anyone else run any acceleration runs using Torque Pro(non hand actuated stopwatch lol) timing app?

I'm thinking about making a new thread specifically for performance measurements like this to show the results of all this tuning we do. 0-60 and 1/4 mile times are good, but in gear measurements are much more relevant to me in showing and comparing performance of one car/tune to another.

It was too damp out last night to use 2nd gear at anything more than normal throttle, so I don't have a guarantee that these are the absolute best numbers since I started in 3rd every time, but still a very good representative of what I've got so far. Times may decrease slightly if I'm able to accelerate through the speeds instead of starting so low in the rev range. Still very good times. ?

93oct Stage 2 V2.1 used....so, who else wants to give some input before I make a thread?

Kei
I'm getting Stage 2 tomorrow and have a tablet in my dash to run torque, I'll do some runs this weekend when it's sunny.

Kei_Loper

Ready to race!
I'm getting Stage 2 tomorrow and have a tablet in my dash to run torque, I'll do some runs this weekend when it's sunny.
Awesome, looking forward to seeing the results. Maybe run the results up to 100 while you're still stock too, if possible? Pretty awesome to see the before and after results when you can. Puts things into perspective ??

Kei

thatspsychotic

Ready to race!

Probably because it's pretty hard to consider slightly different startup and idle behavior as real problems. Different != problem. Problem == problem.