• Bmw M235i

Votes: 41 44.1%
  • VW Mk7 Golf R

Votes: 52 55.9%

• Total voters

Mk6Mario

Passed Driver's Ed
Hello fellow Mk6 owners,

I am coming to the conclusion of trading in my mk6 gti for something more appealing to me in terms of performance and also looks.

My two choices that I am thinking of is either the new m235i, or the new mk7 golf R.

Wanted to get everyone's opinion on if they had the choice of either or which one would they choose?

I want a car that I could easily add power to without making extreme modifications. The jb4 tune for the m235i on map 7 puts it at over 400whp and close to 450wtq. Revo's stage 1 tune for the golf r puts it at 350+ hp.

So as you can see both vehicals are at mk6 ko4 territory or even above with just a couple of mods, and are useable unlike our cars being fwd.

So you decide which car would you choose as your new daily driver!

-Mario

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
Um... the Golf isn't out yet and the BMW will be a solid 10k more unless you special order it.

Mk6Mario

Passed Driver's Ed
Um... the Golf isn't out yet and the BMW will be a solid 10k more unless you special order it.
I plan on trading in the gti in the future when both cars will be out, and hopefully i could snatch a used one with low miles.....

Tk_mkv1

Go Kart Champion
RWD = stuck in snow
AWD = missing out on oversteer

pick your poison, id go for the BMW.

unlike vw, you can actually remove the tune when you bring it in for service so no TD1 risk etc. 5 minute job

sijray21

Go Kart Newbie
golf R for more utility (hatch), AWD, and cost/value

m235i for performance, RWD, bmw warranty (4yr/50k miles)

personally, I'd choose the R, but I like my cars more useful as a DD and lean toward hatches and sport wagons. you will also see bias toward the R since this is a VW forum :rolleyes:

Stinger

Ready to race!
Seriously not comparable cost wise... Not only is the beemer way more expensive to purchase, but modding it will always cost a chunk more as well. So either money is no object, in which case play in the BMW, Audi, Porsche et al. clubs or saving $10k+ is meaningful and you get your thrills out on the VW.

xHeartcoreboyx

IceCream GTI
BMW. Classy and sporty.

VW is awesome, but at the end of the day, it's just an entry level German. It's nice to try something new!

PrayforMojo

Go Kart Champion
Seriously not comparable cost wise... Not only is the beemer way more expensive to purchase, but modding it will always cost a chunk more as well. So either money is no object, in which case play in the BMW, Audi, Porsche et al. clubs or saving $10k+ is meaningful and you get your thrills out on the VW.

Modding N55s is relatively cheap. My JB4 and BMS intake was less than my APR MK6 tune.

These are two different classes of car. I'm biased and would take my 235 over any golf.

NYCSuits

Go Kart Champion
Shirley you can't be serious...M235i all day. Save on the tune and buy a nice set of winter tires/wheels.

Mk6Mario

Passed Driver's Ed
Modding N55s is relatively cheap. My JB4 and BMS intake was less than my APR MK6 tune.

These are two different classes of car. I'm biased and would take my 235 over any golf.
This^ pretty much with the amount of money that would cost you to go ko4 on a gti, that amount of money on a 335i would get you to 450whp....

Also i feel that bmw has better and more reputable tuners then we have for our cars, but that's my opinion and a different topic for a different day

PrayforMojo

Go Kart Champion
This^ pretty much with the amount of money that would cost you to go ko4 on a gti, that amount of money on a 335i would get you to 450whp....

Also i feel that bmw has better and more reputable tuners then we have for our cars, but that's my opinion and a different topic for a different day

I wouldn't tune a stock bottom end N55 to 450hp, you can probably get 375-400 though. No one has really tested the limits on the engine in the 235, but I wouldn't want to be the one to find that limit. If you can get E85 in your area, go BMW.

Thumper

Autocross Champion
I test drove the M235i in the AWD version last week. Amazing car, but way pricier then the R. Sure even the RWD version is still more than the R....

Two totally different cars, totally different price brackets. Hard to make a choice and call it similar.

Do you want a hatch or a coupe? Do you need AWD during the year?

Both cars are great, just have to decide which fills your needs better......