M235i or Mk7 Golf R

• Bmw M235i

Votes: 41 44.1%
  • VW Mk7 Golf R

Votes: 52 55.9%

• Total voters

Thumper

Autocross Champion
Just saying, to me, the rear wheel drive, all wheel drive difference between the two is about the last thing I would base my decision on.

So says the guy in Florida. Lmao ;)

No one is saying you CAN'T drive rwd in winter, lots of people do...... but AWD is still better.... So why not factor it into the choice?? That's like saying a Prius is a car and will get you there, so why get anything else? If the bare minimum of functionality is what you are looking for, a performance modding forum is an odd home..... LOL

Trust me, spend a year or two somewhere with snow, your opinion will change.

trev1342

Go Kart Champion
Golf R, as far as value. If you want the brand, go BMW, spend a bit more money.

Golf R 4Motion! :D

DaveSTR

Go Kart Champion
You guys act like you are drag racing everywhere you go. Rear wheel drive has been used in winter forever and today's winter tires are incredible. Especially with traction control. Doesn't it snow in Germany? I must be getting old but to me the cops are the biggest limiting factor here, not driven wheels or snowy weather. Even all wheel drive can benefit from winter tires when it is snowing. Just saying, to me, the rear wheel drive, all wheel drive difference between the two is about the last thing I would base my decision on.

It snows less than it used to in South Germany. Last year one could have easily gotten by on all season tires or summers. Law is u will use winters and u should at low temps where the winter compounds are superior.

Rwd in Germany is common and around the metro area it's no prob. My M235i won't be going snowboarding. I never take rwd to the Alps in the winter.

46defense

Passed Driver's Ed
So says the guy in Florida. Lmao ;)

No one is saying you CAN'T drive rwd in winter, lots of people do...... but AWD is still better.... So why not factor it into the choice?? That's like saying a Prius is a car and will get you there, so why get anything else? If the bare minimum of functionality is what you are looking for, a performance modding forum is an odd home..... LOL

Trust me, spend a year or two somewhere with snow, your opinion will change.

Laugh all you want, but you'll still be dead wrong judging me for my current address. I knew somebody would bite on that. Fact is, I owned a set of blizzaks before a pretty good percentage of this forums members, and traction control, were even born. Had a set on my 1987 Shelby charger turbo that I bought new right after getting my first job. Bought them because that's what the cops were running with absolutely no trouble on their rear wheel drive dodge diplomats! After that, I bought a set for my wife's 1990 awd Plymouth laser turbo and then passed that set on to her 1995 mustang gt after personally machining the center holes of the same black steel wheels to fit. That car, with no extra weight in the back was like a tank in the snow and was easily better than the front wheel drive Chevy cavalier winter beater I drove while I stored my supercharged 92 mustang each year. All this happened in the Rockford Illinois and Milwaukee wi. area and I never even moved to Florida until late 2001 when I was 33 years old. A year or two ha! I cut my teeth in the snow, on all platforms.

snowsled

Ready to race!
For M235 money you can have a 415 hp awd 996 turbo with low miles. WAY more car than anything previously mentioned I think. This one will appreciate from its current bottom. Look at every other year of 911 turbo, all over 100k currently. For M235 money you can have a 25k mile 911 turbo, drive it a few years and likely sell it for more than you paid. I think a base tune brings it up around 500 reliable horsepower. Your biggest maint expense will be tires, and maybe insurance for you younger guys.

rp_no

for daily driving? to me, it will definitely go with golf, doesn't matter if it's a gti or golf r.
for driving pleasure, it is believed that rear wheel drive may give you more fun, and i partially agree with that.
however, the 4 motion that golf r uses, doesnt have a front diff lsd, doesnt have a rear front lsd,..along with the chassis tuning, it gives you the feeling like a front wheel drive car. but i think this can be changed by modification, not very difficult.

rp_no

For M235 money you can have a 415 hp awd 996 turbo with low miles. WAY more car than anything previously mentioned I think. This one will appreciate from its current bottom. Look at every other year of 911 turbo, all over 100k currently. For M235 money you can have a 25k mile 911 turbo, drive it a few years and likely sell it for more than you paid. I think a base tune brings it up around 500 reliable horsepower. Your biggest maint expense will be tires, and maybe insurance for you younger guys.

:confused: how much does a m235i cost? seemed very expensive??

snowsled

Ready to race!
:confused: how much does a m235i cost? seemed very expensive??

I just took a quick look on ebay... nearly $50k!

BMW lost me as a customer a decade ago. They ruined the styling and went all electro gadgety. There have been a few glimmers of hope but even most of them are plagued by forced complexity.

The new Golf R with 300hp awd and a warranty is a very nice package.

I will have this VW traded off on a used 911 by spring though...

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
I agree, Pcars are awesome, but the only issue with your "plan" there is... "996".

SayaGTI

www.meatspin.com
I agree, Pcars are awesome, but the only issue with your "plan" there is... "996".

This :lol::lol:

I'm +1 on the 235i

snowsled

Ready to race!
Better study up on the 996, lots of urban legend surrounding those cars. I am ready to take the leap out of a '13 GTI into an early 996. If I had $40k, it would be a 996 TT. The turbo has none of the potential engine issues the standard 911 has. Early 996s have about a 3-5% failure rate, probably directly related to the percentage of owners neglecting maintenance:rolleyes:

No way I would buy an M235. Plenty of reading out there on modern BMW reliability... to each his own.

Mk6Mario

Passed Driver's Ed
What about when it comes to tuning and modifying? I feel like bmw has much better tuners out there then vw/audi. Bmw has dinan, jb4, cobb, Active Autowerks, all great and reliable tuners. While we have APR(who looks like is going to trash), Unitronic(always been a great reliable tuner, but is always slow on getting their tunes and hardware out), Revo(idk), GIAC(idk).

trev1342

Go Kart Champion
if youre talking m235 money, why not s3 when it comes out?

Oh, I forgot about this option. I'd easily take an S3 over an M235i.. Plus, AWD.