M235i or Mk7 Golf R

• Bmw M235i

Votes: 41 44.1%
  • VW Mk7 Golf R

Votes: 52 55.9%

• Total voters

ExcelerateRep1

Go Kart Champion
If you need to drive in winter I'd say got for the Golf R.

I drove my 540i/6 for a couple winters with a dedicated snow tire/wheel setup and it worked but it wasn't very confidence inspiring, even with an M5 limited slip swapped in. You end up kinda white-knuckling and limping along while everyone else motors by you.

When I left my job that provided a company truck, one of the first things I did was go out and buy another quattro car to use in winter. Even with kind of crummy all season kumho's it is so much better to drive than my RWD with snow tires.

Not sure what kidn of parking aea you have and what your budget is, but if you need to drive in the snow and end up with a RWD BMW... I'd recommend an AWD beater.

corrado917

Go Kart Champion
If you need to drive in winter I'd say got for the Golf R.
I drove my 540i/6 for a couple winters with a dedicated snow tire/wheel setup and it worked but it wasn't very confidence inspiring, even with an M5 limited slip swapped in. You end up kinda white-knuckling and limping along while everyone else motors by you.
When I left my job that provided a company truck, one of the first things I did was go out and buy another quattro car to use in winter. Even with kind of crummy all season kumho's it is so much better to drive than my RWD with snow tires.
Not sure what kidn of parking aea you have and what your budget is, but if you need to drive in the snow and end up with a RWD BMW... I'd recommend an AWD beater.

That crap is so true on RWD, I suffered that crap two winters in my C230( W202) New winter tires, salt bags, I swapped internals too such as the LSD box from a 16V (w201), heavy gas tank, etc. And nothing kept up with the weather, driving slower than a book & always with a free death wish on each Chicago's intersection.
The GTI is a beast on bold A/S,even better on winter tires, perhaps the RWD is a realistic unnecessary option when in snow..:word:

D Griff

Go Kart Champion
Given the price difference, the fact the BMW weighs more even though not AWD and waaay smaller inside, I'd get the R, especially up north where you are.

That said, people seem to think the 235 is an amazing drive and I've never been in one. Test them both and see what you like.

Also, what do you need out of your DD? Room for four? Luggage or other goods? Snow driving?

I'd probably buy a Mustang and run chicks around both of those cars if I were in your price range.

Mk6Mario

Passed Driver's Ed
Given the price difference, the fact the BMW weighs more even though not AWD and waaay smaller inside, I'd get the R, especially up north where you are.

That said, people seem to think the 235 is an amazing drive and I've never been in one. Test them both and see what you like.

Also, what do you need out of your DD? Room for four? Luggage or other goods? Snow driving?

I'd probably buy a Mustang and run chicks around both of those cars if I were in your price range.
Just an overall fun and fast daily driver......and speaking of mustangs has anyone taken a peek at the new mustang gt350? http://www.caranddriver.com/features/2016-ford-mustang-shelby-gt350-feature

The_Koof1

Ready to race!
For every day usability, fighting through the snow and still being a ton of fun to drive, the Golf R.

For driving enjoyment while losing practicality and maybe getting stuck in the white stuff, the BMW.

D Griff

Go Kart Champion
Personally, I'd take a Mustang GT with track pack over an R or M235, maybe lightly used Corvette?

PrayforMojo

Go Kart Champion
The snow thing is preference only. Its snowed here a few times already and the car is quick enough with winters. AWD makes you take off faster but on truly shitty days it won't handle or brake any better. Also prefer the drifting of a RWD.

Mk6Mario

Passed Driver's Ed
The snow thing is preference only. Its snowed here a few times already and the car is quick enough with winters. AWD makes you take off faster but on truly shitty days it won't handle or brake any better. Also prefer the drifting of a RWD.
I've driven both and I have to say AWD can get boring....RWD is definitely the most fun

greasyginzo

Go Kart Champion
I drove my e92 m3 with PS2s through a snowy winter and while traction was def an issue I was still able to get around

veedoubleme

Go Kart Champion
For me, AWD vs RWD has nothing to do with getting around in winter, it's about putting power down. Many years ago I had a BMW M Roadster that was my daily driver, so I threw on snow tires and never got stuck once or went off the road in a MN winter. It was actually quite capable, and I'd argue better than any FWD car with all seasons. You can totally get around fine all day long in MN with RWD and winter tires.

However, you can't put any power to the ground for the 6 months that you run those tires (usually October thru April). For one, you'll spin them all the time and not go that fast anyway. And for two, you'll burn through 1 set in a season — easily — if you don't drive like an old lady. Just being stage 2 I can break my tires loose in 3rd gear at 60 mph. It's lame having a car with power that you can only use for half the year. The other half of the year you may as well own a Prius.

But if your winter is short, and you only need snow tires for a couple of months, then it may not be a bad trade off. If I didn't live in MN and lived in a warm climate, I'd the M235i in a second over the golf R.

DaveSTR

Go Kart Champion
I test drove the M235i in the AWD version last week. Amazing car, but way pricier then the R. Sure even the RWD version is still more than the R....

Two totally different cars, totally different price brackets. Hard to make a choice and call it similar.

Do you want a hatch or a coupe? Do you need AWD during the year?

Both cars are great, just have to decide which fills your needs better......

+1. The OP is casting a wide net here.

46defense

Passed Driver's Ed
You guys act like you are drag racing everywhere you go. Rear wheel drive has been used in winter forever and today's winter tires are incredible. Especially with traction control. Doesn't it snow in Germany? I must be getting old but to me the cops are the biggest limiting factor here, not driven wheels or snowy weather. Even all wheel drive can benefit from winter tires when it is snowing. Just saying, to me, the rear wheel drive, all wheel drive difference between the two is about the last thing I would base my decision on.

Desertnate

Passed Driver's Ed
Just saying, to me, the rear wheel drive, all wheel drive difference between the two is about the last thing I would base my decision on.

Totally agree. In fact, I prefer RWD in bad weather conditions. I find it much more controllable, and in a car like a BMW with a near 50/50 weight balance it's very easy to control as long as you know what you're doing. I drove a E46 with summers in a freak snow storm and found it less stressful than an FWD car with all seasons.

Back on topic...

My vote is the R. While the M235 would be a hoot, the flexibility of a 4-door hatch tips the scales in my book.

I also like the VW interiors better. The E90 and F30 BMW interiors just don't do it for me. The materials and design just don't draw me in like VW/Audi products do these days. I honestly can't believe I wrote those words as I was a BMW fanatic for decades...