GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Build thread? Gonna give this a shot..

ncsugray90

Ready to race!

VanDorin91

Go Kart Champion
So ive been giving it some thought and I think the time for a color change is down the road for me. I have enjoyed the mint/teal but i think its about time for something different. Something a little more grown up (but still outside the box from the normal polished/brushed rim). It will also put a spark back in the car that I feel like im slowly losing.

I have a picture in my head, we'll see how long it takes me to get there. It wont happen by this years SoWo, but it will happen before next years!

No hints yet! haha :p

Last edited:

VanDorin91

Go Kart Champion
So I saw Kulka's post on the Burn page and ordered some of his vinyl.
Pretty happy with it.

I also found a Mk1 in the junk yard with a perfect grill so I nabbed it for the garage. Can't wait to get it hung up.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1424830904.593801.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1424830911.272322.jpg

VanDorin91

Go Kart Champion
I dont have any major updates.
The weather has been nasty and I just havent had the motivation.

Ive also been swamped with work, my buddys Mk3 Jetta project, picking my pup up on friday, going home on leave this month, and been spending some time at the range with my new toy. All while trying to put money away for SoWo and my big plans for the car.
Picked up a Springfield XD40 Mod2. I have always loved the XD line but they have really stepped their game up. One of the best .40's ive shot.

I still need to..
-Finish the sub box.
-Mount the amp under the floor.
-Run an accessory trigger wire and reinstall the Enon head unit.
-Install the backup cam (wires are already ran).
-Install the skirt extensions from Galvez Customs.
-Add a trunk light to the left side (really VW.. youre dumb.. why would you only put a light on the right side...).
-Pull the door pannels and wrap the horizontal door trim in mahogany to match the dash.
-Clean the car inside and out.
-Im sure im missing something.

The amount of time for sowoprep is getting shorter and shorter! I need to get to work.

GoodTimesIndeed

Go Kart Champion
Thanks bud. I'm glad people are linkin it haha. It's one thing to build a car in the mindset of "I'm building it for me, no one else." It's another to build it in that mindset and then people like it haha.

I have a slanted 2x10 box. Nothin fancy. I'm going to wrap it in the wood to match and I have 2 kicker 10s to put in it. I hope it looks good. I still have to figure out how I'm going to mount the box without mounting anything into the wood flooring so I can remove the box for whatever reason.

Have you thought about using removable 3M adhesive velcro strips? They sell them to hang heavy pictures and such, and since the weight would be pressing down it would be even better. Would allow the box to be removed or put back in easily and if you ever change your mind you just pull the tab on the velcro strip and it pulls right off no marks or damage. Just a thought.

VanDorin91

Go Kart Champion
Have you thought about using removable 3M adhesive velcro strips? They sell them to hang heavy pictures and such, and since the weight would be pressing down it would be even better. Would allow the box to be removed or put back in easily and if you ever change your mind you just pull the tab on the velcro strip and it pulls right off no marks or damage. Just a thought.

That's my current backup plan but I have an idea that might make it to where I can take the box out and not even have the Velcro strips chillin. We'll see. I gotta get the box done first haha. Been lazy as hell.

Thanks for the help though! [emoji106]

VanDorin91

Go Kart Champion
Finally got around to wrapping the door trim to match the dash.

Other than that it's been slow as hell.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1425688682.431879.jpg

VanDorin91

Go Kart Champion
Update on the sub box.

Sorry, I haven't had much time to work on it and even then my buddy and I are taking our time and angling all the edges so everything fits together seamlessly. I can't wait to see the finished product. This things has been such a pain haha.

For example, the side pieces on the front will have tongue and groove to the inside edge, a 45 degree edge to the outside, a 35 degree angle on the top edge, and a 10 degree angle on the bottom edge. Soo many angles! [emoji31]

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1426072986.353712.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1426072996.552080.jpg

All we have left to cut are the side pieces and the holes for the subs and it will be finished. Then carpet the bottom and back side, install the subs in it, and throw her in the car.

VanDorin91

Go Kart Champion
Got all the pieces cut for the box and the wood is glued. I'll get some pics in a bit. It's lookin good. Can't wait to see it in the car.

Got around to hanging all the grills back up. Just missing a Mk5 haha

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1426351758.184445.jpg

Also got some new stickers on the fridge haha. One day it'll be covered.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1426351809.737763.jpg

VanDorin91

Go Kart Champion
was it hard to put it on the door trim? did you have to remove the door or did you just pull it out. I wanted to do something similar to my car.

The dash trim comes off easily. Just snaps back in place so it was easy. The door trim doesn't come out without pulling the door panel and cutting the plastic welds on the back, then you have to plastic weld it/glue it back into place once it's wrapped. I opted for the lazy route and just used a head gun to tuck as much behind it as possible and tried to cut close. It would look better if I pulled them, but I wasn't feelin pullin door panels.

VanDorin91

Go Kart Champion
Could potentially be a part out after SoWo. Haven't 100% made my mind up.

If I decide to the only thing spoken for is the sub box. And a detailed list of what I have will be posted.

Just losing interest and if I'm going to do it I need to do it while the miles are still low.