GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Build thread? Gonna give this a shot..

VanDorin91

Go Kart Champion
Looks good, I like it. Cool color combo. not a big fan of decals, but hey it's your car

It's something that was drug with me from the jdm scene. Ive actually been considering ditching them and going for one decal down the edge but idk, its a work in progress.

Thanks for all the compliments guys. I really appreciate it! :thumbup:

Last edited:

VanDorin91

Go Kart Champion
Got some good news tonight! :happyanim:

Some friends are stripping and powder coating my rims and getting the new Nittos mounted and balanced next weekend. :thanks:

Here's a sample picture of the powder and clear i ordered.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412745834.605350.jpg

Pictures to come!

Last edited:

VanDorin91

Go Kart Champion
Little bit of an update..

Thanks to my awesome roomate, the Gti is back from the body shop and looking brand new. They even repainted my lower valance and side markers for no extra cost!

I tried convincing the shop to slip in some Bi-Xenons since one headlight needed to be replaced anyways. They didnt go for it though haha.

The rims have been pulled and are being stripped. As soon as I get some photos after the powder coating ill post them.
But until then shes sittin on the detroits.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412746097.431000.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412746106.681084.jpg

Boxes are piling up in the garage, cant wait to get home and start tearing through them! I'm about to be a 10 year old on Christmas morning haha

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412746140.801388.jpg

I have to give a huge shout out to my buddy Barnes93cb for not only takin good care of the Gti while im gone, but for picking up packages and dealing with my impatient self. :thanks:

Last edited:

1slow_gti

Ready to race!
clean build! Thumbs up!

VanDorin91

Go Kart Champion
Not much of an update.
Rims are still being stripped.
I've been scrolling through DIY pages and whatnot looking for little projects.

I contacted Ian Galvez (I follow him and his amazing Sti on Instagram) about a custom splitter and skirtlets for the Gti.
Here are sample pictures of the splitter and skirtlets.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412747072.526412.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412844201.664977.jpg

Stumbled upon these though. How could i turn down those colors?!

Shoutout to BoostedShades!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412746235.830820.jpg

Last edited:

VanDorin91

Go Kart Champion
My buddy hooked me up with some update pictures. Rims are looking good so far. The plasti dip is almost gone, then its time to strip the paint.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412746608.697721.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412746620.549868.jpg

Also, the plates to my blue Gti came in the mail today.....9 months late. Crews Chevrolet told me I would receive my plate in about 2 weeks. I had owned the car just under a month when it was totaled (late January) and still hadn't gotten the plates. I didnt think much of it and never called to find out where they were. They called me out of the blue one day (mid May) to tell me they had my plates. I told them the car was totaled and to send the plates back to the DMV. She said ok and I never heard back from them... until today when the damn thing shows up in the mail. Glad it wasnt anything I really needed..

Last edited:

VanDorin91

Go Kart Champion
Still waiting on the rims. Things have been busy back home and they havent had much time to finish stripping them and getting them off to powdercoat.

We have our cabin reserved for SoWo next year! Im pretty stoked!

So far I have ordered..
-2 Cans of Candy White and 2 cans of clear from Automotivetouchup.com
-3M Mahogany wood vinyl for the main trim pieces that go across the dash and door panels.
-New set of 205/40/18 Nitto NeoGen tires.
-Golf Highland upper grille. The chrome strips will be painted Mint Green.
-Dorbitz lower grille
-LED fog light bar that I plan to mount behind the lower grille.
-Euro cup holder
-Diverter Valve +
-OEM front lip
-New catch can
-Ian Galvez custom front splitter and skirtlets.
-I had my vinyl guy recut most of my vinyl in Mint Green. Im getting rid of some of it for good though, it's too much.

I still have to order..
-ECS Tuning aluminum skid plate
-Golf R sideskirts
-2 10" Kicker subs and amp
-DoubleApex OEM USB kit
-Chemical Guys master detailing kit from ECS Tuning
-Chemical Guys buffer pad kit
-Porter Cable buffer

What do you guys think about the window visors? They were on it when I got it along with a sunroof visor that I immediately took off. I have been considering taking the visors off. Im not sure though. :iono:

I cant wait to make my mahogany wood flooring with the matching sub box. It should turn out nicely and the 3M vinyl should be a nice touch of the same wood up front.

If anyone who is reading this has ever dyed an air filter please let me know if it worked. I love my Unitronic intake but the red filter is an eye sore. I cant find another filter that would fit properly with the heat shield being so close so I have considered dying mine black.

I plan to mount the switch for the flog light upside down in the panel abover the center cubby, below the climate control. I figure that is an easily accessible yet hidden spot.
The bass volume knob will be mounted inside the center console, again to be out of sight.
Im going to be dying all the red stitching black. I know a lot of people love it but its just not for me.

I would also like to look into getting the seats reupholstered plain black to get rid of the plaid.
There are a few shops in town, ill get a quote when I get back in the states. Just having the centers reupholstered black cant cost too terribly much.
My buddy and I were going to be getting Bride seats but we scrapped that plan due to the airbag/weight sensor issues. Its just not worth it.
Ive thought about trading for Golf seats but im told theyre different (please leave a comment if you have any insight on that).
Getting rid of the plaid would be a lot easier if I liked leather haha.

I am considering doing the "Climatic" climate control upgrade as well. I will be sure to follow up on that if it happens.
http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42037

Another DIY I found was to replace the red mini LEDs throughout the interior with blue ones. It worked well for him and I have my OEM healight switch to practice on.
http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56810

In other news...I have decided to go with a Unitronic Stage 1+ tune also! :thumbsup:

Done rambling on for tonight. More updates to come.
Cant wait to see everyone at SoWo! The Gti will be finished and looking her best. If anyone recognizes the car dont hesitate to stop and say hello!

Last edited:

VanDorin91

Go Kart Champion
So I'm out and about for a walk and guess what I walk past.. From a distance I thought it was a Gti and I got excited. Went to check it out and got even more excited (first time seeing one in person) and then very confused (why am I seeing a Scirocco in the sandbox..) oh well, it made my day.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412846838.538881.jpg

Last edited:

willmk4

Go Kart Champion
So I'm out and about for a walk and guess what I walk past.. From a distance I thought it was a Gti and I got excited. Went to check it out and got even more excited (first time seeing one in person) and then very confused (why am I seeing a Scirocco in the sandbox..) oh well, it made my day.

View attachment 43467

Haha awesome man! I would of had a similar reaction.

Sick ride btw man!