GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Cailfornia Smog: Know Your Rights & Options

jshay

Go Kart Champion
I feel like the best option is to just pay someone to pass your car... no?

You could do that but I just like a bit of peace of mind knowing I can pass the OBD2 portion of smog with a K04 and catless downpipe.

I'm thinking it'd be way easier to pass smog with just tipping a little to skip the visual. But at the same time, dirty smog is dirty smog.

P_m651

Ready to race!
Getting harder and harder to grease someone's palm. Being a smog certified tech and/or a licensed smog test station has gotten more strict - a way different game than it was many years ago. Also, it is damn hard to fake an OBDII test, for which they verify your VIN thru the ODBII.

With that, I'm sure some people do circumvent the system, it's just more sophisticated now, requiring a more sophisticated tech. Your average Joe Schmo down the street ain't going to do it for $50 anymore.

BoostAdd!ct

Anyone on here have any issues failing visual because of a FMIC? I have been to 2 places and failed both times because I dont have a carb sticker for my FMIC. I looked at form appendix G from the bar site and it says as long as the car has the stock turbo on it then the intercooler is legal. did I miss something or are these shops crazy?

https://www.bar.ca.gov/pdf/APPENDIX G final 12-2009.pdf

thanks

PRND[S]

The Lame & The Ludicrous
I wonder if they consider it part of the intake system. Intakes have to have a CARB exemption sticker.

jshay

Go Kart Champion
The only carb legal inter cooler is the Neuspeed FMIC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BoostAdd!ct

I wonder if they consider it part of the intake system. Intakes have to have a CARB exemption sticker.

yep thats what they told me, part of the intake system. In the past I have had no issues passing visual with it so i dont know.

JT641

Banned
Anyone on here have any issues failing visual because of a FMIC? I have been to 2 places and failed both times because I dont have a carb sticker for my FMIC. I looked at form appendix G from the bar site and it says as long as the car has the stock turbo on it then the intercooler is legal. did I miss something or are these shops crazy?

https://www.bar.ca.gov/pdf/APPENDIX G final 12-2009.pdf

thanks

Is you IC in the original location?, I haven't heard of anyone having problems with it in the original location. You could try another shop or ask around

Last edited:

Dubbin_Mk6

Passed Driver's Ed
Literally just read the whole thread. Great info on here. Sub'd!:thumbup:

PeeLo801

Ready to race!
Question about my current GIAC stage 2 flash: my car is coming up on its 5th year exemption from smog tests. I currently have a stage 2 flash which overrides the second sensor so it doesn't throw a code. I have an SPM downpipe.

What would I have to do to keep a "legal" stage 2 set up? Is it possible? Can I run an AWE downpipe and pass all smog tests "legally" here in CA?

PRND[S]

The Lame & The Ludicrous
There is no such thing as being smog-legal with any emissions-related hardware changes that don't have a CARB exemption, or disable sensors. Even an air intake is illegal unless it has a CARB exemption (Neuspeed is one of the few companies that make one), as are aftermarket catted downpipes even if they would pass a sniffer test.

EvoKnvl

Ready to race!
Question about my current GIAC stage 2 flash: my car is coming up on its 5th year exemption from smog tests. I currently have a stage 2 flash which overrides the second sensor so it doesn't throw a code. I have an SPM downpipe.

What would I have to do to keep a "legal" stage 2 set up? Is it possible? Can I run an AWE downpipe and pass all smog tests "legally" here in CA?

If your sensor is off, you won't pass. There is a readiness check and it will show the O2 Sensor fails. You'll need to have it turned back on. At that point, you'll need to have the O2 sensor show the Cat is operating within it's parameters. There are ways around that as well, but you'll still need to pass visual as well.