GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Cailfornia Smog: Know Your Rights & Options

Injen1us

Drag Race Newbie
just passed (thank goodness!), I'm revo K04, SPM street TBE, SPM intercooler, neuspeed intake w/ carb sticker, 034 mounts, awe TOP. (my car does not look stock at all). had to use a rei 90' spacer in the back and a short straight spacer in the front to achieve readiness. *** make sure you force readiness correctly before you go or you will fail *** and just make sure you profile the shop/ tech first. talk with them for a minute and you'll be able to tell real quick if your dealing with one of these by the book nit wits.
good luck!

Great advice!

LargeMargeSentMe

Ready to race!
@SELA_MK6GTI

yes you will have to swap it to stock.
the good... you will be able to set readiness easier and have more confidence in the visual test. the bad... that install sucks, I just don't want to go through that (or pay someone) to go through that every 2 years.

SELA_MK6GTI

Go Kart Champion
@SELA_MK6GTI

yes you will have to swap it to stock.
the good... you will be able to set readiness easier and have more confidence in the visual test. the bad... that install sucks, I just don't want to go through that (or pay someone) to go through that every 2 years.

[emoji21] thanks for the advice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JT641

Banned
just passed (thank goodness!), I'm revo K04, SPM street TBE, SPM intercooler, neuspeed intake w/ carb sticker, 034 mounts, awe TOP. (my car does not look stock at all). had to use a rei 90' spacer in the back and a short straight spacer in the front to achieve readiness. *** make sure you force readiness correctly before you go or you will fail *** and just make sure you profile the shop/ tech first. talk with them for a minute and you'll be able to tell real quick if your dealing with one of these by the book nit wits.
good luck!

You passed with all of that on your car??

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
You passed with all of that on your car??

If he has spacers on there he got lucky and they didn't do a visual. Others have not been so lucky. At the worst he would just had to have put on his stock downpipe to comply with visual. Readiness can be achieved when the 02 sensors are operating properly and you have driven a couple hundred miles of mixed driving OR you can run the readiness routine with your Ross-Tech cable. You cannot "force" readiness. Nice thing about using the cable is that it only takes 20 min and simulates the driving you normally have to do.

At least for now they are not doing sniffer tests on cars built after 2002 so it really doesn't matter what tune you run. Just need to pass visual and the emissions system needs to be working and show readiness when they go to read it from ODBII

JT641

Banned
If he has spacers on there he got lucky and they didn't do a visual. Others have not been so lucky. At the worst he would just had to have put on his stock downpipe to comply with visual. Readiness can be achieved when the 02 sensors are operating properly and you have driven a couple hundred miles of mixed driving OR you can run the readiness routine with your Ross-Tech cable. You cannot "force" readiness. Nice thing about using the cable is that it only takes 20 min and simulates the driving you normally have to do.

At least for now they are not doing sniffer tests on cars built after 2002 so it really doesn't matter what tune you run. Just need to pass visual and the emissions system needs to be working and show readiness when they go to read it from ODBII

They couldn't tell you're running a tune

Last edited:

PandaGTI

Go Kart Champion
Curious, if I'm unable to to find a CCTA downpipes to modify with a 3rd O2 bung... can I re weld a whole new elbow on the CBFA downpipe with a 3rd O2 bung? If the tech sees new welds just in front of the oe catalytic converter for a new elbow to the turbo... will that cause me to fail the visual? Since they are just looking to see that the OE cat is still in place?

Right now I have a B&B downpipe with a spacer for the O2 sensor so I can pass readiness... however I just used my FJ Cruiser to profile a local smog shop and they did look underneath to make sure the oe cat was in place. They even ran every carb number for the parts I had under the hood. The techs seemed young, Asian, the type you'd expect to drive stanced car however they where just too thorough in the 5 minutes that it took.

After some small talk because he liked the visual mods on my truck I asked if they'd be able to pass my VW if it passes readiness and overlook the hi flow downpipe. He said no:(

JT641

Banned
Just heard you can't register your car in a smog exempt county using a P.O. Box it has to be a physical address anyone know for sure if this is true

thewalkingdad

Ready to race!
Sounds like it might be easier to register it in NV or some other state.

LargeMargeSentMe

Ready to race!
folks, don't register your car in another state, if you get pulled over with an out of state plate and a CA license / address your going straight to the smog rep.

Dans GTI

Ready to race!