GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Cailfornia Smog: Know Your Rights & Options

PRND[S]

The Lame & The Ludicrous
Even with the O2 sensor operating a aftermarket downpipe would still fail the visual inspection (if it is performed).

PeeLo801

Ready to race!
So is there absolutely no way to pass smog being stage 2?

EvoKnvl

Ready to race!
So is there absolutely no way to pass smog being stage 2?

It's not impossible. It's just more work. Turn your O2 Sensor back on, throw your stock cat back on (or use a O2 spacer to fool the sensor,) and pray that the tech doesn't look under the car.

LargeMargeSentMe

Ready to race!
^this, if your bay looks stock, and you show up when the tech wants to go to lunch or home, you could get lucky.

thegave

Ready to race!
Are there any particular consequences if your car exceeds the gross polluter limits, if it subsequently passes? Do they keep directing you to STAR stations, put you on some smog blacklist or what?

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Are there any particular consequences if your car exceeds the gross polluter limits, if it subsequently passes? Do they keep directing you to STAR stations, put you on some smog blacklist or what?

Not sure what state you are in but on 2002 and newer they don't do pollution checks in California anymore. (No sniffer test). ODBII emmissions must show readiness and they do a visual inspection of the equipment.

Aphix

Go Kart Champion
anyone have to do the ECM update and Smog this year?

feedingthesickness

Ready to race!
I dunno crap about cars so here's probably a stupid question. Will an APR St1 tune fail smog?

Gino

Ready to race!
I dunno crap about cars so here's probably a stupid question. Will an APR St1 tune fail smog?

No. If you were stage 2 with a downpipe and 02's disabled then yes. Stage 1 does not fail smog.

handisnacks

Ready to race!
Unfortunately I'm going to need a smog check in the near future as I'm a 2010. I'm currently stage 2, but I plan on just leaving my aftermarket downpipe on (which has 1 catalytic converter) and an O2 spacer on the rear bung. Although I will be flashing my car back to stock (I have Uniconnect+), and just by looking underneath real quick it looks stock, I just hope no one looks any further than that :p I have a Neuspeed P-Flo with the CARB# on it so I'm hoping they just assume everything else is legit.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Unfortunately I'm going to need a smog check in the near future as I'm a 2010. I'm currently stage 2, but I plan on just leaving my aftermarket downpipe on (which has 1 catalytic converter) and an O2 spacer on the rear bung. Although I will be flashing my car back to stock (I have Uniconnect+), and just by looking underneath real quick it looks stock, I just hope no one looks any further than that :p I have a Neuspeed P-Flo with the CARB# on it so I'm hoping they just assume everything else is legit.

No need to flash back to stock unless your tune is affecting emmissions readiness and I don't think UNi does but check with them. Leaving your non-stock downpipe on is going to raise the possibility of a fail. I saw recently where a forum member was failed on visual. They recognized that he had an aftermarket pipe and the he was using a spacer. Important that you check with a tool that you have achieved readiness to avoid failure.

Older post on the subject with pic of what I mean about emmissions readiness. I think it starts about 1/2 way down this PAGE

I have a highly modified K04 car running a race file with water methanol and have been through this smog stuff once and coming up for a second time in April. Car passed fine.

handisnacks

Ready to race!
No need to flash back to stock unless your tune is affecting emmissions readiness and I don't think UNi does but check with them. Leaving your non-stock downpipe on is going to raise the possibility of a fail. I saw recently where a forum member was failed on visual. They recognized that he had an aftermarket pipe and the he was using a spacer. Important that you check with a tool that you have achieved readiness to avoid failure.

Older post on the subject with pic of what I mean about emmissions readiness. I think it starts about 1/2 way down this PAGE

I have a highly modified K04 car running a race file with water methanol and have been through this smog stuff once and coming up for a second time in April. Car passed fine.
All stage 2 flashes disable readiness on the rear O2 sensor. Hence why I'll just either flash stock or stage 1. As for the visual, it's really a toss up on what the tech decides to actually check that day :) Hah. My car is lowered quite a bit and just looking underneath it looks bone stock, you can't tell I have a spacer unless you jack up the car and really get under there.

LargeMargeSentMe

Ready to race!
just passed (thank goodness!), I'm revo K04, SPM street TBE, SPM intercooler, neuspeed intake w/ carb sticker, 034 mounts, awe TOP. (my car does not look stock at all). had to use a rei 90' spacer in the back and a short straight spacer in the front to achieve readiness. *** make sure you force readiness correctly before you go or you will fail *** and just make sure you profile the shop/ tech first. talk with them for a minute and you'll be able to tell real quick if your dealing with one of these by the book nit wits.
good luck!