GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Current electrical gremlin issue

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
Ever since i did the install of a eurocubby i have been having battery issues, which i attribute to having a bad grounding location in my fusebox area for
how i hardwired radar detector via fusetap. luckily i have a portable battery jump pack but need to chase out this gremlin. thought i had it fixed last night but maybe not.

only other recent electrical mod that comes to mind as a root cause for this would be my RNS510, as the thing still makes noise after ignition is off, which i attribute to it powering down the internal memory.

Question is - RNS510 having the hard drive spinning for about a minute after car is turned off, is this normal? I think I have revision E?

Or, assuming i did fix the grounding issue, could it just be that my battery is toast? Or maybe its something else? my mechanic mentioned that my alternator bearing is starting to make abnormal noises (this was a year or more ago).

zrickety

The Fixer
Is the detector turning off with the car? How old is your battery?

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
The RNS remaining active for a short while is normal.

I have however had mine keep a blank screen running permanently after locking the car in the past, I only noticed it as it was dark and I went back to the car about an hour later, (it’s done it a 2 or 3 times that I’ve noticed) performing a reset of the unit stopped it, the car does shut everything off though after a while if stuff is left on such as the interior lights so probably not this! You can check for parasitic drain using a multi meter on the battery and removing fuses,

https://www.wikihow.com/Find-a-Parasitic-Battery-Drain

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie

Here is the location of the new ground for the fusetap.

I used a fuse tap when I hard wired my dash cam but I used the top screw holding the fuse board (visible in your picture) maybe try that as I’ve not had an issue using that ground point.

Edit: the two appear to be connected though so likely won’t make a difference.

nadams5755

Ready to race!
i use the same grounding location as Carlosfandango, no issues w/ it or noise from my rns-510 either.

i'd move the ground over to the screw we both use. if it persists, catch a video of the sound.

(i chose to tap one of the 5a fuses in the top row ((gauges)) so the radar detector doesn't power-cycle during start)

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
I used a fuse tap when I hard wired my dash cam but I used the top screw holding the fuse board (visible in your picture) maybe try that as I’ve not had an issue using that ground point.

Edit: the two appear to be connected though so likely won’t make a difference.

I tried that and the OD of the screw is larger than thatmmof the ID of my grounds loop connection.

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
I tried that and the OD of the screw is larger than thatmmof the ID of my grounds loop connection.

You will have to either put a new larger terminal on it or cut through the top of the loop (temporarily) on the current one so that it makes two prongs and give it a go, you’ll need to try or you won’t get to the bottom of the issue!

Or totally disconnect it for now and see what happens.

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
i use the same grounding location as Carlosfandango, no issues w/ it or noise from my rns-510 either.

i'd move the ground over to the screw we both use. if it persists, catch a video of the sound.

(i chose to tap one of the 5a fuses in the top row ((gauges)) so the radar detector doesn't power-cycle during start)

The noise I refer to with regards to the RNS is the small fan in the back of it which doesn’t always happen or sometimes it sounds like the hard drive, either way it only happens for a short time and is normal.

HYDE161

Go Kart Champion
Disconnect the positive and negative battery terminals, touch the two battery wires together for 30 seconds. Connect the battery terminals and test. We are going to perform a capacitive discharge which has cleared up TONS of issues on these cars, especially when relating to the steering wheel and radio units.

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
There was a battery drain issue related to an incompatible can gateway when retrofitting the RNS but I’m not sure which years it would affect! It may have only been a problem on the Mk5 but worth investigating or maybe someone can chime in with more info, has the RNS only recently been fitted?