GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Fans won't stop running

Zonaglxy

Ready to race!
As the title states, I turned the car off and both fans stayed on for 5 minutes. I ended up unplugging the battery. Cars a 2011 with 61k miles, mods in sig. Fault code is P0480. From what I read this basically means my ECU is fried. Has anyone experienced this and had it not be the ECU? I'm debating parting out the car and getting a MK7 GTI if it's the ECU and APR or the shop won't cover it. I can't justify throwing 2k at a car worth 10-12k on a trade in. What do you guys think?

To the vultures, please don't PM me for parts until I find out what the issue is...

NYCSuits

Go Kart Champion
Sounds like a failing ECU based on similar issues people had

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
Bye bye ECU.

emk6

Ready to race!
two options...

1) send it back to APR for repair or 2) trade it in.

Even if repaired can't guarantee it will last forever.

///Audience

Ready to race!
Just finally had this exact same problem fixed on my car. Bad ECU. Had to replace it. If you don't have a solid battery, prepare to buy a new one

loopless1

Ready to race!
New ECU or send the old one to APR for repair but you will need a rental for a while.
APR can help you source a ECU cheaper than going straight to the dealer.

Seanathan

As the title states, I turned the car off and both fans stayed on for 5 minutes. I ended up unplugging the battery. Cars a 2011 with 61k miles, mods in sig. Fault code is P0480. From what I read this basically means my ECU is fried. Has anyone experienced this and had it not be the ECU? I'm debating parting out the car and getting a MK7 GTI if it's the ECU and APR or the shop won't cover it. I can't justify throwing 2k at a car worth 10-12k on a trade in. What do you guys think?

To the vultures, please don't PM me for parts until I find out what the issue is...

I had the same issue. Turned out to be a fried ECU. Thankfully it was replaced under warranty.

Calkulin

Ready to race!
You could always just buy a used ECU for ~$100-150 and then get the immobilizer defeated for ~$200, just make sure to get the exact same part #. Personally, I own 2 ECUs like that for just in case 1 decides to take a crap

jshay

Go Kart Champion
You could always just buy a used ECU for ~$100-150 and then get the immobilizer defeated for ~$200, just make sure to get the exact same part #. Personally, I own 2 ECUs like that for just in case 1 decides to take a crap

Same part number and box code. Depending if this is OPs only car or not, finding a used ECU can take a while.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zonaglxy

Ready to race!
Thanks for the replies guys. The car is my DD and I work 20 miles from home so I can't be without a car for long. This whole situation is just stressful ugh. I'm leaning towards just parting it out and trading it in for a mk7 GTI. The shop who did the install is going to take a look at it today. Hopefully it's just a blown fuse but something tells me I won't be that lucky.

Does anyone know how much of a hit I'll take on a trade-in with a dead ECU?

Nitron

Ready to race!
Thanks for the replies guys. The car is my DD and I work 20 miles from home so I can't be without a car for long. This whole situation is just stressful ugh. I'm leaning towards just parting it out and trading it in for a mk7 GTI. The shop who did the install is going to take a look at it today. Hopefully it's just a blown fuse but something tells me I won't be that lucky.

Does anyone know how much of a hit I'll take on a trade-in with a dead ECU?

Suck it up and get another ECU. You played, now you pay.