GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Finally Validated! And my MPGs are up, up, up!

RacingManiac

Drag Race Newbie
Yeah cold weather does not help since the engine map compensate for cold as well as the fact that the fuel we get are blended differently for winter and summer.

If the 2011s are not covered under that TSB then I don't know what I'd do. I am only on my 2nd fill up ever on this car so I am going to wait a few more tank to see if it gets any better or worse. Getting 23mpg on mostly highway driving between Detroit and Toronto is much less than what I expected....

fatty@golfmk6.com

Go Kart Champion
I just sent my dealer an email. I have a 2011 gti with 2000 miles on it. I'll keep everyone posted on what the dealer says and if they think the update applies to 2011 models :thumbsup:

GTAye1

Ready to race!
I am not sure if running 91 vs 93 will cause a big difference in the mpg but may I suggest future posters state what octane they are running and whether they are chipped or not; I think this is a very useful thread.

RacingManiac

Drag Race Newbie
Ok to summarize:
2011 GTI DSG
Stock(no chip)
Current mileage: 1030miles
1st fill up(91 in Toronto) MPG: 23.5mpg
Driving condition: 75/25 Hwy/City
2nd fillup(93 in Detroit) MPG: 23.8mpg
Driving condition: 75/25

Note: Break-in driving, rpm kept under 4k most of the time. Lots of manual mode driving to avoid lugging the motor, no cruise control on highway, sometimes downshift to 5th at highway speed to avoid driving at constant rev. I'd expect this to affect the mileage, therefore I am electing to wait a few more tanks and mileage to really fuss about this with the dealer.

Tecni

Ready to race!
My MPG's are also down but I have a REVO flash. If I take it to the dealer will they be able to tweak the TB settings without wiping out the tune?

loopless1

Ready to race!
I think you are all just seeing the normal variation of MPG due to driving styles/conditions. There is no magic TSB. Don't waste your time harassing the dealer.

I have been tracking my MPG for 6 months using actual miles travelled/actual gallons used and it varies from ~24mpg on my daily commute( 75-80mph for about 15 miles)/around town to 32 mpg on a long highway drive. These are good numbers, especially for a turbo performance car. You will find people wildly exaggerate their MPG if they don't record the data and do the actual math( or use Gas Cubby app).

Anyway i'm stoked, as my previous car, a Subaru Legacy GT got about 18mpg on the same daily commute.

P

plac

I had a full tank starting on my 300 mile trip today. "Miles left" got up as high as 450. Normally its 300 if im lucky. Going 70, it would continue to rise. Going 80, it would just stay even and then start going down.

ataman

Ready to race!
I have a APR Stage 1, 2011 DSG.

Today I was driving carefully to get best fuel consumption, in the city, i got 29mpg. Roads were very empty and i hit very few red lights...

Circe

I've got an '11 GTI, DSG with 7200 on the clock. I average 28.-28.75 mpg real world (complete fill up / mileage) while the computer will indicate overall mileage at 32-32.5. 90% highway driving 50 mi to work and back each day. About 70-80 mph in the morning (always seem to be late for work) and 60-65 on the way home. I alternate 91-93 octane. Hope this is helpful.

Last edited:

dbest6808

Ready to race!
Anytime your at idle you eat up a significant amount of MPG especially if you have recently cleared the mfd and are trying to get a new reading with less miles giving the average. I have sat at a red light and actually watched the MPGs decrease a significant amount "about .4 mpgs while stopped for just a few minutes. In the cold this seems to be more the case. One thing I have noticed though in this may be a reason for a slight increase in average after installing the carbonio and going stage 1 is that the car idles a couple hundred RPMs lower than it did stock. Also making more power with less fuel.