GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Finally Validated! And my MPGs are up, up, up!

burtomr

Go Kart Newbie
Does anyone know the TSB number?

I recently hit my dealer up for the "Body Control Module Update" quoting the number listed above, but it didn't apply to my VIN. There was a newer/different number for the BCM update which they did perform.

TSB's are specific to certain production dates and are updated (changed) constantly so the VW service computer is the best way to find out:

"What are the TSB's for (my) VIN#___________?"

Plus they won't do a TSB for your car unless the computer says it applies to your specific VIN.

Last edited:

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
I have a 2011 GTI DSG and I get HORRIBLE gas mileage. My 335 got better mileage than my GTI

weird. hand over fist my GTI is destroying the MPG I got with the 335xi, although I know its awd vs rwd, I am still getting 28-29mpg all day long in the GTI with a mix of highway and side streets/congestion, etc.

I also do a lot of driving in 5th and 6th gear, even at speeds as low as 40mph. This is the equivalent of a "skip shift", where I'll shift from 4th to 6th to save on gas. Seems to be working quite well.

RacingManiac

Drag Race Newbie
I am now driving like I were to drive my "appliance" car and see if that changes the MPG situation....first 3 fills was 23, 23, and 22(that was highway, highway, city in their primary components, and to note I was driving the "break-in" cycle in the first 2 fill)...

woofie2

Ready to race!
Anytime your at idle you eat up a significant amount of MPG especially if you have recently cleared the mfd and are trying to get a new reading with less miles giving the average. I have sat at a red light and actually watched the MPGs decrease a significant amount "about .4 mpgs while stopped for just a few minutes. In the cold this seems to be more the case. One thing I have noticed though in this may be a reason for a slight increase in average after installing the carbonio and going stage 1 is that the car idles a couple hundred RPMs lower than it did stock. Also making more power with less fuel.
idling the motor, driving the first 10-15 miles in the morning, heavy footed driving,
I have found that VW's have a sweet spot they can be driven too soft and the MPG's will suffer. my 1984 golf got ~35-40 mpg on the highway at 75-80MPH, and around 30-35 at 65-70 MPH the key was the secondary fuel injector, if I was near full throttle without the throttle on the switch it was MPG's were better than WOT.

seen similar on my DBW cars.

Sleepin gti1

Ready to race!
think i have the same problem? and all along i thought it was my forge blow off adaptor lol

With this guy. i bought the bov adaptor about a week ago. Mpgs are terribe like I used ti get 25 around town now its way down. Today road around for like 30 min. Andwas averaging maybe 20

Atty

Ready to race!
I have a 2012 and I have a huge build up of soot on my exhaust and am experiencing less than indicated MPGs. Could it affect me as well?

D Darko

Ready to race!
For whatever it might be worth, here is my latest mileage. Just drove down to Busch Gardens for Howloscream yesterday then back. 410 miles, and just had my fuel light come on at around 1/8 tank. Pulled into the gas station near the house and put in 13.02 gallons. Equaled out to 31.5 mpg's. Nearly all of that is 76 mph on the interstate (70 zone) with a few 65 zones thrown in riding around 72-73. And I am a 'spirited' driver. I have seen as high as 36.8 mpg's on trips where most of the speed limits are 55 and I'm cruising around 62-63 for a couple hours with intermittent stopping for lights, slower zones, etc. Hope that is helpful!

srrod88

I just bought a 2011 GTI in october of 2012. It was brand new only had 288 miles on the clock, dealer told me it was new and the state told me it was never registered. Since day 1 the tail pipes have been black, like how my civic exhaust looked like when it had 35k miles on it, and I am getting horrible gas milage. I am averaging 19-20mpg per tank.

When I bought the car they had to do the 10k service even though it didnt have 10k miles on it. Should I take the car back to see if they can check to see if I have the same issue, or can I check my self on the VagCom?

BrianfCheng1

Ready to race!
Sounds like you got the same symptoms to me.

Doesn't hurt to ask.

woofie2

Ready to race!
I just bought a 2011 GTI in october of 2012. It was brand new only had 288 miles on the clock, dealer told me it was new and the state told me it was never registered. Since day 1 the tail pipes have been black, like how my civic exhaust looked like when it had 35k miles on it, and I am getting horrible gas milage. I am averaging 19-20mpg per tank.

When I bought the car they had to do the 10k service even though it didnt have 10k miles on it. Should I take the car back to see if they can check to see if I have the same issue, or can I check my self on the VagCom?

things to think about fuel MPG-
fuel quality, better gas, better MPG, I get more carbon from ethanoled gas,

I got my 2011 GTI in July 2011 and have been getting better MPG each tank (when I drive further than home to work) normal commuting I get 22-25MPG, driving further than the 15 miles home to work and 15 miles back, I get can 33-35 MPG. I see better Mileage on the 100% gasoline from shell vs the 90% gasoline from other other stations around (only one selling full 93 octane gas, all others are 10% ethanol)
i got 38MPG doing 80+ MPH with a 40 MPH tail wind driving into St Louis, Tuesday on a 65*day. I got 17MPG at 16*F this morning on my drive to work.

iag48st

Ready to race!
Please forgive me for reviving an old thread. I bought my 2010 Gti with 11,800 miles this past weekend and have noticed V12 mpg lol. I drive for 30 in NYC traffic and according to my dash comp I'm getting 13mpg lol. That's in D mode, and I don't have a heavy foot.

Any suggestions before I go to see the techs?

xjohnx1

I know other people have tried resurrecting this topic before but I want to give it another shot.

Traded my '13 CC for a '13 GTI. Same motor, DSG and around the same weight but I'm getting approx. 3 to 4 mpg less in the GTI. Does this sound right? Would the problem found by the OP apply to my car? Fwiw it seems like the GTI is geared differently and runs a higher rpm at the same speed on the highway. I understand this could be a factor as well. I just drive a lot and don't want to leave any mpg's on the table. Thanks