GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Golf 6 GTi turbo problems. Post if you know.

timneedscoffee10

Go Kart Champion
The only issue that I know of with the stock IHI turbo is a very common wastegate rattle that apparently has no solution. It doesn't affect how the car responds, just ends up sounding like a "can of rocks" at a certain RPM range.

Otherwise, tuning the car (stage 1, stage 2, etc) has been loosely associated with premature clutch failures in manual transmission cars.

There's a fix for the wastegate actuator rod: http://golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20401

steffe_gti

that started out kind of funny... but then you ruined it with ignorance. And *then* I see you're from Sweden -- not even a backwoods hick country American as I'd expect from a comment like that (I live in backwoods hick country America - hear shit like that all the time and it pisses me off to no end)

Haha you need to soften up dude. Go play with your GTI or somthing :lol:

timneedscoffee10

Go Kart Champion
Nice! I had no idea they actually solved this. Last I heard were the weights on the actuator rod.

I installed the clip a couple weeks ago -- it cost $40 at the dealership, and takes all of 5 minutes to install if you have ramps (maybe a few minutes longer if you have to jack up the front end). Definitely worth it -- it made a HUGE difference in sound while accelerating

Djmikeyd

Go Kart Champion
Been there, done that! That not really my issue... my Turbo is out of function!

Replace it under warranty. Or get a ko4. But if you drove for a year with "no turbo" you obviously dont kick the shit out of your car since you didnt notice it. Some things to consider for the future.
1. Get a boost gauge.
2. Use the turbo.
3. Know more shit about your car than the people who sold it to you

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
Baby dick turbos don't break.

Mundo

Hello guys I bought my 2010 gti mk6 about 8 months ago, and installed billy boat turbo back exhaust, APR intake, forge spacer, and sprint booster throttle control.

About a month ago the so called ratle notice!!!! Took it to the dealer and they blame it on the aftermarket parts and they said there was nothing wrong with the car plus the tech said he could not here any ratle noise.

Doing some reaserch I found out about the actuator clip and I took it back to the dealership and they point out to me that he clip was already there and again that they could not find any noise and that if there was any it should be because of the aftermarket parts I had.

I took everything out the car with the exeption of the exhaust system and the forge spacer and took the car to a different dealer. This time at pick up time
The service writer said that the tech had actualy hear the ratle noise and that it should be because of the forge spacer and he offered a quote to take it out !!!!

Back at home I took out the forge spacer and a week after took it back at the first dealer for oil change and I point out again the ratle noise. This time the service manager took me to the tech's where my car was up in the air. Infront of me the manager asked the tech if that was an issue that should be covered by warranty. After tech admitting a ratle noise coming from the spool, and he said yes!!! And I left the place.

I pick up my GTI at closing time and in my way back home the ratle was still there!!!!!! Called the service mgr next day, and he said I had two options !!!! Live with the notice or pay for a new turbo !!!!! He said he did not want to take the risk of opening a warranty clame at the manufacture and that if they find out I had an aftermarket exhaust he would get in legal problems !!!!!

Does any body now if a mod such as changeing down pipe will affect on any way the turbo ???? And why if I'm not putting a clame on an exhaust but on a turbo they keep blaming turbo failure due to exhaust mod !!?

Last edited:

ryanrich1

Ready to race!
These turbo's are very reliable. Neo, since they started tuning them in 2009 there hasn't been one popped turbo from a revo 2.0 TSI in SA.

NeoSA1

Ready to race!
These turbo's are very reliable. Neo, since they started tuning them in 2009 there hasn't been one popped turbo from a revo 2.0 TSI in SA.

Dude, this thread is LANK old. Notice when I posted this. This was when I didn't know enough about the car. I don't know why this post was resurrected. :mad0259: