GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Golf 6 GTi turbo problems. Post if you know.

NeoSA1

Ready to race!
Hi guys

I'm trying to do some research on turbo problems (if any) on the 2.0 TSi Golf 6 GTi. If you have experienced a broken turbo on your G6 GTi or know of someone that has (and you have the facts), please post it here. This relates to stock or modded G6 GTis.

The goal here is to ascertain whether or not these IHI turbos in the new Golf 6 GTis are reliable, and in some cases, if they're reliable enough to handle the increased boost pressures from tuners available today. (pressures ranging from 1.2 bar up to 1.45 bar)

From my own research, I have only found ONE single entry from an Australian guy who had a stage 1 tune loaded onto his new 2009 Golf 6 GTi and subsequently had to remove the turbo pieces from his intercooler. I wouldn't be surprised if you guys know about the post that I'm talking about since it was posted on the www.golfmkv.com forum. Unfortunetely the original author of that thread deleted his initial post which contained all the details. Still, that's one. So far...

p.s (this is not a tuner wars thread - please try and build on this so that we can establish the true nature / reliability of these turbos)

NeoSA1

Ready to race!
LOL - no man. Not THOSE kind of problems :D

McQueen77

Banned
Someone posted a similar and somewhat interesting thread that sort of relates to your question here:

http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10158

Careful though, guys on here who like to spend a lot of money flashing their car's ECU to make waaaay more power than their engines can handle over the long term get kind of pissy with these type of threads..

xHeartcoreboyx

IceCream GTI
Someone posted a similar and somewhat interesting thread that sort of relates to your question here:

Careful though, guys on here who like to spend a lot of money flashing their car's ECU to make waaaay more power than their engines can handle over the long term get kind of pissy with these type of threads..

^
The guy who posted that thread is a very famous troll from the mkv world.

Our engines can handle quiet a lot of power, stage 2 power is NOTHING compared to what this engine can handle, people have been running big turbos on these cars since forever, specially on the TSI, there is zillion tuning companies for this car, it's nothing new.

You are scared to tune your car? Cool!, don't! :)

Last edited:

NeoSA1

Ready to race!

I totally get what you're saying and I agree. I'm trying to find out three things with this thread:

1. Is the turbo, in its stock setup, prone to problems?
2. If the car has no turbo problems when stock, are there examples that prove that stage 1/2 tunes are breaking turbos on these cars?
3. If the turbos are holding up at these tuned levels, are there examples of broken rods, etc on these cars?

I drove a 2004 VW Jetta 1.8T that was stage 2 for 5 years. It boosted at peak 1.0 - 1.1 bar which was a lot for the K03 (note, mine was the AGU 110kW, so it didn't have the K03s). It never gave a day's issues and the engine internals worked fine.

I understand that you can mod a car to make "way more power than it should", but truth be told - doing a stage 1 or even stage 2 tune on your car shouldn't push your car "beyond its limits". In fact, I don't think we understand what the true limits are on the G6 GTi's yet. Hence I made this thread so that we can somehow trend such events if there are any.

In the last 3 years that the G6 GTi has been around, and even before that with the 2.0 TSi in the last revision Golf 5's - I've only read about 1 turbo failure that may, or may not, be related to an ECU tune. If there are real issues with mods/tunes/inherent-characteristics, I'd like to hear about them so that we can all judge for ourselves, based on actual events, whether or not these turbos are reliable.

Dang - sorry for the long reply.

edit: Please note that I'm not trying to troll on here. I'm just trying to get a thread started for trend analysis. If there are turbo issues from mods or even from the car being stock - we'll all learn from it. And if this thread stays empty or no one can provide solid facts, it can even try to end some of these tuner wars with people saying some tunes break turbos more than others. If it's not in here - then that theory goes down the drain and people can calm down. Threads like these have proper benefits, but like you said, them thar internetz is full of trolls. At least I'm giving it a shot :)

Edit 2: omw - what is that I don't even .......I read that thread and, wow. Anyways, I guess if that author was talking ANY sense, we should be seeing some entries in this thread. LOL

Last edited:

FinalOne

Ready to race!
i dont think these turbos have any problems, but if something happens to my turbo i'll take its as a good excuse to put a K04 on my car ;)

kev0

Ready to race!
turbo problems na, you want turbo problems? buy a speed3 :lol:

Or an Alfa GT 1.9 JTD, MY GT is currently on its 3rd turbo.

I hope my GTI isnt like that haha

Bender1

Banned

The only thing people get pissy about is false information.

These engines are more than compitent to handle a stage 2 or a k04 set up. Just shift to 5k oil changes if you are going to tune.

As for the turbos, they likely are FINE. There are some relatively high mileage TSI engines out there and there are no widespread reports of turbo failures.

steffe_gti

Turbo issue on my MK6 GTI -09

Hi everyone,

my first post here :)

Since I´ve bought the GTI last year I've been noticing something odd about the throttle response. The car does´nt accelerate smoothly, and theres no freakin turbo sound either. So genius that I am this made me suspicious. I let the VW dealer take a look at it here in Stockholm. They could only conclude that there was a leakage around the turbo, but nothing serious they said. Their rekomendation was to drive until next service and deal with the issue later. So I thought: No biggie then puhhh...

Now that I performed the service at 4000 swedish miles, unfortunately not at VW but that should´nt matter. During the service they' had found that the turbo is completely out of function and leaking heavily. I have with other words been driving around a GTI without a turbo for 1 year.

So now to my question, does anyone know if the turbo problems are common on the GTI MK6?

I'm hoping that the dealer will say that this is a common issue and replace without charging me $$$$$.

By the way, the car has no mods in any way!

Greetings from Sweden!

/Stefan

Last edited:

GTIwannagofast

Ready to race!
if you are specifically worried about the turbo.... an replacement( ;) ) is in the range of $2500. i want my turbo fails, so i can replace it without getting sh*t from the wife.

steffe_gti

if you are specifically worried about the turbo.... an replacement( ;) ) is in the range of $2500. i want my turbo fails, so i can replace it without getting sh*t from the wife.

Ive tought my wife not to talk or interfere with me unless it comes to what we will have for dinner or what position I wan´t to use. And NO, I'm not a muslim :) .

timneedscoffee10

Go Kart Champion
Ive tought my wife not to talk or interfere with me unless it comes to what we will have for dinner or what position I wan´t to use. And NO, I'm not a muslim :) .

that started out kind of funny... but then you ruined it with ignorance. And *then* I see you're from Sweden -- not even a backwoods hick country American as I'd expect from a comment like that (I live in backwoods hick country America - hear shit like that all the time and it pisses me off to no end)

johnny_p

Go Kart Champion
The only issue that I know of with the stock IHI turbo is a very common wastegate rattle that apparently has no solution. It doesn't affect how the car responds, just ends up sounding like a "can of rocks" at a certain RPM range.

Otherwise, tuning the car (stage 1, stage 2, etc) has been loosely associated with premature clutch failures in manual transmission cars.