GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Golf MK7 Appearance Discussion

luckeydoug1

Passed Driver's Ed
The place of assembly has little or nothing to do with...
I would have thought that as well, had I not had the experiences I have had with my own cars, as well as witnessing it first hand at the local dealership. Even within the same model, my German built Jetta was totally trouble free. The Mexican Jetta (same model) was very problematic. In fact, EVERY one of our Mexican made VWs have had issues that could be directly traced back to assembly line (and not design) issues. It is hard for me to believe that by the luck of the draw I got only well made European VWs and poorly assembled VWs from Mexico.

I have also seen the shoddy workmanship on the American built cars: trim pieces not attached properly, wheel well pieces not attached correctly to the point that they rubbed on the tires, etc.

So yeah, it DOES matter where the vehicle was assembled.

swfloridamk6

Go Kart Champion
I would have thought that as well, had I not had the experiences I have had with my own cars, as well as witnessing it first hand at the local dealership. Even within the same model, my German built Jetta was totally trouble free. The Mexican Jetta (same model) was very problematic. In fact, EVERY one of our Mexican made VWs have had issues that could be directly traced back to assembly line (and not design) issues. It is hard for me to believe that by the luck of the draw I got only well made European VWs and poorly assembled VWs from Mexico.

I have also seen the shoddy workmanship on the American built cars: trim pieces not attached properly, wheel well pieces not attached correctly to the point that they rubbed on the tires, etc.

So yeah, it DOES matter where the vehicle was assembled.

I agree with you bud. I love all the nay sayers posting "it does not matter" but dont have the guts to plunk down their money.

I have had two Mexican assembled VWs. First was MK6 Jetta TDI, second I still have, 2012 JSW. Just got the JSW, but so far impressed. But lets just say The MK6 Jetta was not something VW should be proud of. Of course my 2010 GTI, I love.

I will most likely buy a mexican MK7 GTI, because I love the brand. But will be very nervous about it. If its a fail, I will stay with older German ones after that.

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
I agree with you bud. I love all the nay sayers posting "it does not matter" but dont have the guts to plunk down their money.

I have had two Mexican assembled VWs. First was MK6 Jetta TDI, second I still have, 2012 JSW. Just got the JSW, but so far impressed. But lets just say The MK6 Jetta was not something VW should be proud of. Of course my 2010 GTI, I love.

I will most likely buy a mexican MK7 GTI, because I love the brand. But will be very nervous about it. If its a fail, I will stay with older German ones after that.

Don't have the guts to plunk down their money?
I'd buy a Mexican built GTI or an American built Accord without hesitation.

ick

Ready to race!
Anecdotal evidence is anecdotal. Also, your factory doesn't need to be in Mexico to have bad employees/procedures on the assembly line.

Bad employees or procedures are verboten in Germany!

Becks

Ready to race!
First post. The most fun car I ever owned was a 1985 G T I 16V..

I have been waiting patiently for the MK7 release for a year now. I am disappointed with the "new" look. If the new GTI looks like the pictures I have been seeing then VW has castrated the poor thing. IMO this VW looks tame. No balls to the look. The european edgy look is gone and has been replaced with a casper milk toast refinement that belongs in the Honda/Toyota corals. A VW GTI should have a refined yet aggressive appeal. No chrome. No pinched closed front end. The hood line looks lower than the MK6 line, and in relation to the roof line that looks too much like asian cars. Obviously these are just my thoughts. I really hope VW pulls a rabbit (hehe) out of their hat when they release the GTI pix.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
^^sweet first post brah

TwiBlueG35

Passed Driver's Ed
It is more like evolutionary than revolutionary. I like that. Not many cars are like that any more. Porsche 911 and Mazda MX-5 are the ones I could think of.

geep_gti

Ready to race!
Looks like an Mk6 and an Mk4 got all drunk and hooked up, then sent their bastard child to the Chrysler Plastic Surgery Center for a couple of procedures....

Thanks VW for not making me second guess buying my 2012. Now I can enjoy my Mk6 until at least the debut of the Mk8.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
I'm waiting on the MK9 mk8 is hella ugly