GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Just ordered forge dv spacer!!

Legohed

Ready to race!
Has anybody seen the 'Important Update' now on the Forge site? Just wondering, how do we find out our Solenoid part number to see if it fits correctly? Thanks

Mike@Forge

Go Kart Champion

Legohed

Ready to race!
If you are refering to the 1.4L twin-charged (turbo AND supercharged) engine, yes, there has been a change by VW on the OEM valves.

http://www.forgemotorsport.co.uk/content.asp?inc=product&cat=260304&product=FMDV14TSI

For the 1.4L & 2.0L turbo-only engines, we now have one spacer that will fit with ALL OEM valve revisions.

http://www.forgemotorsport.co.uk/content.asp?inc=product&cat=260304&product=FMDV14T

Aha! Those 2 sentences have made things much clearer for me. Thanks Mike. I can still go ahead with my order now :happyanim::happyanim::happyanim:

Mike@Forge

Go Kart Champion
Happy to help.

Honestly, it does make things more difficult for us often times with VW's frequent mid-model year changes to part numbers, but we do try our best to keep up!

hugoender1

Ready to race!
This sounds cool but I have read a lot of posts about how these DV Spacers are bad because the car will have a decrease in power due to running rich, and by running rich, you also carbonize valves, foul spark plugs and o2 sensors, as well as shorten the life of the catalytic converter.

Is this true? It makes sense since you are indeed blowing off air into the atmosphere that the ECU thinks is actually being recirculated into the intake.

Jimd0313

Ready to race!
^I think this is what your looking for...

The MED12 ECU of these applications is not as sensitive to the recirculation of the residual pressure like the older 1.8T applications for instance. There is no change to the short-term nor long-term fuel trims, nor the AFR when using this part. We conducted numerous tests of this part for nearly a year before releasing it, and we found there to be no adverse affects of any kind whatsoever. We would not have released it to the public if it caused any problems, and we've been selling it to the MK5 market since 2006 with no problems.

hugoender1

Ready to race!
^I think this is what your looking for...

Yes, I know the salesperson of the product in question said that but I wanted some feedback from actual users. Also, with an ECU flash (such as APR Stage 1) would this still be the case?

Jimd0313

Ready to race!
My bad, misinterpretted you, thought maybe you missed that bit.

I've got one, love the sound. Only had it installed for a short amount of time though, so really can't comment on long term effects.

hugoender1

Ready to race!
My bad, misinterpretted you, thought maybe you missed that bit.

I've got one, love the sound. Only had it installed for a short amount of time though, so really can't comment on long term effects.

Is there a reason why you only had it for a short amount of time? That's another thing I hear a lot. People buy it, install it, then after a short time remove it.

Cybe

GolfMK5 Graduate
Because it makes the blowoff sound every time you let off the gas -- and if you're under low boost, just moving around in the parking lot, it hisses for a long time, kinda like a bus.

But it's a fun piece anyway. :)

hugoender1

Ready to race!
Because it makes the blowoff sound every time you let off the gas -- and if you're under low boost, just moving around in the parking lot, it hisses for a long time, kinda like a bus.

Thanks for sharing. I had heard that under some conditions the hiss would last a while. Don't know how I feel about this.

So is this a mod that can easily be done by someone with no car experience whatsoever? The extent of my experience is checking the oil with the dipstick lol

Mike@Forge

Go Kart Champion
Yes, I know the salesperson of the product in question said that but I wanted some feedback from actual users. Also, with an ECU flash (such as APR Stage 1) would this still be the case?

I'm not just a sales person. I don't have sale threads all over the forums beating you over the head repeatedly to buy our product. I actually design a number of our parts, and I use them on my personal GTI, so I'm just as well versed to provide a subjective opinion as any of our customers.

That having been said, I personally don't use the spacer on my car, only because I prefer a loud exhaust note to the blow-off valve sound myself.

The reason it vents continuously sometimes is not a byproduct of the installation of the spacer. This is a function of the electronic control of the DV as dictated by the ECU, which will vent the valve as it sees fit for any given condition. The valve would be venting this way regardless of whether or not our spacer were installed. The spacer doesn't change the ECU programming for valve operation in any way. It just enables you to hear what is already going on.

This is why, from what I have gathered by most people's comments, is the reason they remove the spacer after a while. The sound produced is NOT a traditional mechanical blow-off valve sound that is based on a pressure differential and will have a varying level of sound based on the boost being made at any given time.

Because the valve is electronic, the sound heard is very digital in its nature and is either "on" or "off", while most people expect a traditional sound, but we felt that retaining the electronic control was ideal, because removing it will cause a fault code within the ECU.

Thanks for sharing. I had heard that under some conditions the hiss would last a while. Don't know how I feel about this.

So is this a mod that can easily be done by someone with no car experience whatsoever? The extent of my experience is checking the oil with the dipstick lol

You can download the installation instructions from our site before you decide to make the purchase or not.

http://www.forgemotorsport.com/media/fitting%20instructions%20fsit%20valve(1).pdf

hugoender1

Ready to race!
That having been said, I personally don't use the spacer on my car, only because I prefer a loud exhaust note to the blow-off valve sound myself.

The spacer lowers the exhaust note?

Cybe

GolfMK5 Graduate
The reason it vents continuously sometimes is not a byproduct of the installation of the spacer. This is a function of the electronic control of the DV as dictated by the ECU, which will vent the valve as it sees fit for any given condition. The valve would be venting this way regardless of whether or not our spacer were installed.

^ 100% Accurate.

Lowers the exhaust note?

No, Mike's just saying that as far as car-noise is concerned, he prefers exhaust noise over blow-off-valve sound.

Jimd0313

Ready to race!
Is there a reason why you only had it for a short amount of time? That's another thing I hear a lot. People buy it, install it, then after a short time remove it.

I have not removed it, I love the way it sounds. I was simply stating I have only owned the spacer for a short amount of time.