GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mad MK6

madmycal

Ready to race!
I figured it was time to start documenting the build progress and next steps for my MK6 GTI.

It's a 2010 manual transmission two door base, in United Gray... The end goal of this build is 800 wheel on pump/meth and 1k wheel on e85/meth. Don't ask why...

To jump start this process I recently purchased a 2007 A3 3.2 VR6 which will be used for the drivetrain swap. I'd like to run a DQ500, however I am still undecided and may toss in a 'built' 02M... I've read a few DQ250's are still functioning past 850nm, but I'd rather have something a bit more bullet proof.

This thread will log the up's, down's, and everything in between.

Here is the current form/configuration:

Engine:

APR K04 Kit​
APR Downpipe (cat removed)​
APR Catback System​
APR Intercooler​
ECS Exhaust cutout​
IE Catch Can​
FluidAMPR Crank Pulley​
Neuspeed Charge/Discharge Pipes​
Synapse Diverter Valve​
Snow Performance Stage 3 Meth Kit (Dual Nozzle)​
USRT 2.25 Gallon Tank​

Transmission:
SouthBend Stage 3 Daily​
Peloquin LSD​
APR Full short shift kit​
APR solid shifter cable bracket​
BFI Torque Arm Insert​

Suspension:
APR sway bars (front/rear)​
NGP Type One Coilovers​
SuperPro Control Arm Kit​
SuperPro Ball Joint Kit​
TyrolSport Deadset Kits (Front/Rear)​
EuroSport Rear X-Brace​

Brakes:
Porsche Cayenne (18z) Front 6 piston calipers​
Racing Brake 2 piece rotors 355mm​
EBC Red Stuff Pads​
Front R32 Stainless lines​
Custom Rear BBK bracket setup​
Porsche Cayenne Rear 4 piston calipers​
Stoptech slotted rotors 350mm​
R8/Brembo parking brake caliper​
Rear R32 Stainless lines​

Wheels/Tires:
Enkei RPF1 18x10.5 et15​
Toyo R888R 275/30/18​

Exterior:
Voomeran MK7 full flare set​
Flow Designs full splitter set​
MK7.5 GTI (facelift) headlights​
R20 tail lights​
ECS Tuning Carbon rear spoiler extension​
Clear side markers​
US Millworks front plate bracket​
DeAutoLED three way fog LED's (white, yellow, strobe)​
DeAutoLED full interior LED Kit​
DeAutoLED license plate LED's​
DeAutoLED reverse LED's​

Interior:
Podi boost gauge​
Seicane Android radio​
Sport Shifters custom shift knob w/surround and boot​
Sparco QRT-R seats w/sliders and bases​
Sparco 4 point harnesses​
Autopower 4 point bolt in cage (w/options)​
Eurosport Rear X-Brace​

Pictures (old to new):

Before the brakes/flares/wheels install

After the brakes/flares/wheels install

Last edited:

torga

Autocross Champion
Just, wow. Awesome work. I'd like to see a still photo of the car post flares/wheels/brakes.

How are you running all those gauges on your head unit?

madmycal

Ready to race!
Just, wow. Awesome work. I'd like to see a still photo of the car post flares/wheels/brakes.

How are you running all those gauges on your head unit?

Thank you!! Thumbnails below are the only good ones I saved as the car is still stuck in my garage... The rear rotors will soon be from Racing Brake, but not in a rush to replace yet since I'm not driving her. After the flares get painted more images will follow!

The Android radio is connected to a bluetooth dongle (listed below) and using Torque Pro. Works really well and the refresh rate is superb...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07JFRFJG6/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_67Z9PEFHYHB08Z76HNJV

IMG_7252.jpgIMG_7474.jpgIMG_7473.jpg

IMG_5327.jpgIMG_2883.JPGIMG_2882.JPG

torga

Autocross Champion
Absolutely love the orange (or gold?) on red colorway for the brakes. Awesome to see the R8 parking brake being used instead of hogging an increasingly rare R32 rear caliper!

tdream1

Autocross Newbie
That's a hell of a build, Mike! Glad to see you active again! I still remember you giving me a ride in your K04 GLI when APR 3.1 came out and I switched right back over from Uni at Jason's shop.

Hope you're doing great!

-Scotty

GolNat

Autocross Champion
Awesome build!!

madmycal

Ready to race!
Absolutely love the orange (or gold?) on red colorway for the brakes. Awesome to see the R8 parking brake being used instead of hogging an increasingly rare R32 rear caliper!

Believe it or not the stickers were actually white beforehand... The clear coat powder coating went over the stickers and the baking process turned them orange. Loved the outcome and decided to keep it as is. I can't stand the Creation Motorsport adapter kits... I think the massive parking brake caliper looks silly. To each their own!

That's a hell of a build, Mike! Glad to see you active again! I still remember you giving me a ride in your K04 GLI when APR 3.1 came out and I switched right back over from Uni at Jason's shop.

Hope you're doing great!

-Scotty

Talk about a blast from the past, how the hell are you Scotty?! I remember that ride in the GLI like it was yesterday... That APR v3.1 file was a game changer back then. Once this GTI project is complete I'll owe you a ride!

Awesome build!!

Thank you!

beef cake.

1628172638404.png

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
I didnt even know they made RPF1s that wide, holy smokes.

I love the little touches on the interior too. well done

tdream1

Autocross Newbie
Believe it or not the stickers were actually white beforehand... The clear coat powder coating went over the stickers and the baking process turned them orange. Loved the outcome and decided to keep it as is. I can't stand the Creation Motorsport adapter kits... I think the massive parking brake caliper looks silly. To each their own!

Talk about a blast from the past, how the hell are you Scotty?! I remember that ride in the GLI like it was yesterday... That APR v3.1 file was a game changer back then. Once this GTI project is complete I'll owe you a ride!

Thank you!

View attachment 221842
I know it, Mike! I didn't know you were back in the Boston area. I'd love to get a ride when it's all buttoned up. I'll PM you.

madmycal

Ready to race!
You're in for a journey...hope your wallet can handle it 😂

800 is gonna prove difficult, skip those trans options and go with a built dogbox.

What's this car going to be used for?

Oh yeah, well aware and have a nice spreadsheet with current and projected costs... Don't ask. :LOL:

The transmission aspect is the one thing I keep going back and forth on... I would love to keep it a manual and use dog gears, however I really don't want to drop $8k + on a SQS setup. I'm likely going to go with a DQ500 and call it a day...

The end goal is to have something fun and unique that has a ridiculous amount of power... I plan to take her to standing half mile and mile events, a little quarter mile action, and plenty of roll racing.

I didnt even know they made RPF1s that wide, holy smokes.

I love the little touches on the interior too. well done​

Thank you! This is actually the widest RPF1 they make and they weigh in at 19 lbs! I was amazed they felt almost the same in weight as my old Neuspeeds.

I know it, Mike! I didn't know you were back in the Boston area. I'd love to get a ride when it's all buttoned up. I'll PM you.

I'm still down in Virginia and will be for a while I think... I will certainly be up that way in the future and will be sure to reach out!!

-------------------------------

I will be starting a 'for sale' thread soon... To highlight some items that may be of interest:

MK6 GTI Headlights - Spyder, double "U" led - For halogen cars​
MK6 GTI OEM Radio (RNS510?)​
MK6 GTI CCTA Cylinder head w/cams, bridge, cover​
Precision Turbo SP 5858 ceramic ball bearing v-banded (sold with two items below)​
FFE Racing bottom mount exhaust manifold​
FFE downpipe/midpipe with wastegate allocation​
Unitronic High Output Fuel System including injectors/lpfp​
Airlift v2 management w/wiring etc.​
Airlift slam series front/rear​
Airlift 4 gallon polished tank​
I'll update this post once the 'for sale' thread goes live (need to get pictures).

Roadrunner_GTI

Drag Racing Champion
Oh yeah, well aware and have a nice spreadsheet with current and projected costs... Don't ask. :LOL:

The transmission aspect is the one thing I keep going back and forth on... I would love to keep it a manual and use dog gears, however I really don't want to drop $8k + on a SQS setup. I'm likely going to go with a DQ500 and call it a day...

The end goal is to have something fun and unique that has a ridiculous amount of power... I plan to take her to standing half mile and mile events, a little quarter mile action, and plenty of roll racing.

Thank you! This is actually the widest RPF1 they make and they weigh in at 19 lbs! I was amazed they felt almost the same in weight as my old Neuspeeds.

I'm still down in Virginia and will be for a while I think... I will certainly be up that way in the future and will be sure to reach out!!

-------------------------------

I will be starting a 'for sale' thread soon... To highlight some items that may be of interest:

MK6 GTI Headlights - Spyder, double "U" led - For halogen cars​
MK6 GTI OEM Radio (RNS510?)​
MK6 GTI CCTA Cylinder head w/cams, bridge, cover​
Precision Turbo SP 5858 ceramic ball bearing v-banded (sold with two items below)​
FFE Racing bottom mount exhaust manifold​
FFE downpipe/midpipe with wastegate allocation​
Unitronic High Output Fuel System including injectors/lpfp​
Airlift v2 management w/wiring etc.​
Airlift slam series front/rear​
Airlift 4 gallon polished tank​
I'll update this post once the 'for sale' thread goes live (need to get pictures).
What part of VA are you in? I may be interested in the headlights. I’m biased, but I’d love to see this car out at VIR for a track day.

madmycal

Ready to race!
What part of VA are you in? I may be interested in the headlights. I’m biased, but I’d love to see this car out at VIR for a track day.
I’m in Ashburn and all around the nova area. Happy to meet up or send you some photos but these are the exact ones:

https://throtl.com/products/spyder-volkswagen-golf-gti-10-13-version-3-projector-h-5082046

I stripped the H7 (I believe) HID kit from them for the new lights.

I’m at VIR, Summit, and Dominion quarterly and will likely take it when complete… But I’m afraid it’s going to be a bit too gnarly for Track Daze/HPDE. A few laps wouldn’t hurt though. 🙂

Roadrunner_GTI

Drag Racing Champion
I’m in Ashburn and all around the nova area. Happy to meet up or send you some photos but these are the exact ones:

https://throtl.com/products/spyder-volkswagen-golf-gti-10-13-version-3-projector-h-5082046

I stripped the H7 (I believe) HID kit from them for the new lights.

I’m at VIR, Summit, and Dominion quarterly and will likely take it when complete… But I’m afraid it’s going to be a bit too gnarly for Track Daze/HPDE. A few laps wouldn’t hurt though. 🙂
Oh nice. I’ll be headed to the SCCA TNiA events (VIR later this month / Dominion in Sept), Summit main for Fastivus in Oct, and then back to VIR for the last Trackdaze Full/Grand event of the year. Let me know if you’ll be at any of those, and I may snag the headlights from you.