GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

New Driver Looking for Some Advice R20

HotHatch94

So next year in January I get my license. I was looking into the GTI MK6 as my first car. But I read some rumors about the R20 which seemed to be worth the wait. Prices aside, do you guys think it will be available when I go to purchase my vehicle in January or should I wait a couple months and leech off my parents cars in the meantime.

Thanks ;)

falconeight1

Ready to race!
No one really knows, its all speculation.

TDI110

O_o
right you are, too many posts asking when the R20 is coming state side. If you want to believe it will be in the near future - leech off your parents and gain valuable experience then when it comes out buy it. if you're impatient then get the GTI

dubbinit

Go Kart Champion
I wouldn't buy any new car for your first car... Sorry, but I'm 17 myself, and I've seen myself and almost all the new drivers in my life wreck their first car (i.e. my brother--three days after driving his jetta off the lot, he wiped the passenger side of his front bumper off). Use your parents' car for a while more and save up.

Last edited:

Diego Armando

Go Kart Champion
[/URL][/IMG]

HotHatch94

The R20 might not even be worth it. I would probably be better off putting an APR Stage 3 kit in with an exhaust, intake, and intercooler. It would turn out to be the same price as the R20 and the Stage 3 kit would make it faster. Maybe add some Brembos for fair measure. If I do that, I really hope I won't crash it.

TDI110

O_o
If you do that you will crash it - young +lots of horsepower+inexperience = wreck. Or you may not.

dubbinit

Go Kart Champion
I'd rather wreck a GTI than my mom's Range Rover or my dad's Beamer =0

Well, in all fairness, your mom's Range Rover or your dad's BMW, doubtlessly, already have minimal damage/wear (i.e. dents/dings from rocks). I'd rather add on to the minimality previously sustained than have to live with the feeling of "flawing" a brand new R20, or for that matter, a brand new GTI..

P

plac

mighty big aspirations for someone that doesnt even have his license yet.. my first car was a $750 1976 toyota corolla..

dubbinit

Go Kart Champion
mighty big aspirations for someone that doesnt even have his license yet.. my first car was a $750 1976 toyota corolla..

Eh, he can really afford it I'm guessing? :p

1991 Toyota 4Runner here, and that was less than two years ago!

You know what? OP, get a nice pre-owned MK4-MK5 GTI and break it in while getting experience :D, especially if you plan on getting a 6spd MK6, then buy an Audi TT-S a few years in the future! It's basically an R20 wrapped with the four rings and a different body!

falconeight1

Ready to race!
If I was your age and my parents were willing to buy me a new car in the price range you are looking at. Knowing my testosterone level at that age I would go with a STI or EVO. Way much funner to die in.

dubbinit

Go Kart Champion
If I was your age and my parents were willing to buy me a new car in the price range you are looking at. Knowing my testosterone level at that age I would go with a STI or EVO. Way much funner to die in.

:word:

First ticket: three days after I got my GTI...
Just finished clearing it off my record after 6 hours of defensive driving and $180 of court fees+fees for course and driving record. It's not fun at all.

TAZZ1

Ready to race!
The R20 might not even be worth it. I would probably be better off putting an APR Stage 3 kit in with an exhaust, intake, and intercooler. It would turn out to be the same price as the R20 and the Stage 3 kit would make it faster. Maybe add some Brembos for fair measure. If I do that, I really hope I won't crash it.

Hehehehe riiiighht....
Doude for a FIRST CAR a stage 3 GTI? to be "faster than a R"... :thumbsup:
Wow you're trouble man...
1- learn to understand cars mecanics and driving physics, you're going to drive on roads not on drag strips... with traffic, rain, snow, ice, potholes, lights, pedestrians, cops... "be faster" in day to day driving is very different that what you seem to be imagining.

2- learn to drive before puting yourself and others in danger with a stage3 GTI for a first drive, as DubbinIt suggested get a stock Mk5 GTI it's faster than you will need to get your experience in driving, it wont break your heart (and your parents') when you'll dent it, and it's waaay better that what most of us got for a first car.

An R or Stage 3 GTI to get your teeth done on a first car... Seriously man!