GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

New Driver Looking for Some Advice R20

shahabdin

Ready to race!
@TAZZ: Well said man! :thumbsup: That's responsibility and respecting other road traffic and pedestrians.

@HotHatch94: Dude chill a bit. I know the R20 would be excessive for you given your age. You need experience. Hell man, don't they have an Advanced driver's licence before you guys can step in to high performance sports cars like Evos????
Even the GTI is mega powerful. What do you want the R20 for??? Speed? First prove that you're not a hazard on the road, trust me the power in the R20 would provoke you to sin... You're young, touch wood got many years ahead to drive, so don't rush in to a fast car yet. Just give it a real good thought before you jump in. ;)

dubbinit

Go Kart Champion
2- learn to drive before puting yourself and others in danger with a stage3 GTI for a first drive, as DubbinIt suggested get a stock Mk5 GTI it's faster than you will need to get your experience in driving, it wont break your heart (and your parents') when you'll dent it, and it's waaay better that what most of us got for a first car.

An R or Stage 3 GTI to get your teeth done on a first car... Seriously man!

The idea for an MK5 goes a long way!
1. it's much faster than almost anyone's first car
2. you can easily mod it without worrying about warranty issues and all that crap
3. mods for the MK5's are already all out on the market, so you have a better pool to pick from
4. you won't feel as bad for dinging it up a little bit
5. you won't feel as bad for grinding a few gears when you're getting used to it

HotHatch94

Where I live everyone gets a new car that goes super fast. No joke. I'd like to get the experience with mods because I plan to be a mechanical engineer when I grow up. I love cars.
Update on the car situation: My mom and dad would be willing to buy me a 135i coupe (the one with the turbocharged 300 hp 6 cylinder). They think a Beamer would last longer, so she would be willing to pay the extra. I'm sure you guys are thrilled to hear that.

P

plac

Where I live everyone gets a new car that goes super fast. No joke. I'd like to get the experience with mods because I plan to be a mechanical engineer when I grow up. I love cars.
Update on the car situation: My mom and dad would be willing to buy me a 135i coupe (the one with the turbocharged 300 hp 6 cylinder). They think a Beamer would last longer, so she would be willing to pay the extra. I'm sure you guys are thrilled to hear that.

my BMW 135i was a lot of car, even for a very experienced driver. The back end is very susceptible to sliding out. And the power just grows and grows and grows all the way past redline. Super fun. Good luck...

dubbinit

Go Kart Champion

I'm not trying to criticize, but just saying something that you'll most likely experience. In the end, it's your choice and your choice only. Good luck!

:D

TAZZ1

Ready to race!
:laughabove:

Ok if you get an 135i please post the roads you'll be driving around on daily basis so people know the areas to avoid :bellyroll:

Besides that it's a very nice ride kido, I do hope that it will "last longer" as your parents think... then again:lol:

Diego Armando

Go Kart Champion
wtb: slightly used 135i with minor rollover damage

lmk

rickerbr

Ready to race!
IMNSHO, the OP should get the 135i. I'd hate to see one of the few (3000-5000 depending on which rumor you believe) Golf Rs written off. In either case, that is too much car for a new driver, but you can't raise someone else's kids.

OP - no matter what you get, do everyone (you, your parents, your passengers, other drivers) a favor and take the BMWCCA or Audi teen driving school. If your parents are gracious enough to buy you a brand new relatively high performance (especially for a 17yo) car, the least you can do is learn how to handle it in a controlled environment. If I were in charge, kids would have to autocross or do track days with instructors to learn car control instead of worrying about parallel parking etc.

Bender1

Banned
You don't even have your license yet and think you will be skilled enough to drive a sporty car?
THAT is arrogance.

Sure we all felt that way when we were your age. But now that we have grown up and actually learned how to properly drive, we can look back on your youth and pass judgement based on experience.

There is a reason all race car drivers start off in kart racing rather than jumping right into the real thing. Learning how to drive a slow car well, then learning how to drive a slow car fast, are all prerequisites for learning how to drive a quick car well, fast, and safe.