GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Official Autocross/HPDE Thread.

Arkaband

Ready to race!
I noticed ZIIs are 568 for four at tire rack, is it worth it for a once and a while autocross car (My GTI)? RS3v2s are 636. Im just wondering if its possible to stretch the mileage to 10k with the occasional autox.

Im only probably going to get 5k or so miles on the RE-11As on my integra but that was a lot of autox runs. Just trying to justify a 200tw tire on my main car lol.

If you're talking about < 5 autox events, I wouldn't. I can't speak for how many street miles you can get out of them.

kern417

Go Kart Champion
my buddy runs several events and gets 1-2 seasons out of his. it is probably driven 2-3000 miles a year otherwise though. not much daily driving.

Sebastian89

Ready to race!
Hey guys, I searched a bit, but I seem to get some conflicting info, so I figured this thread would be best for a good answer. I just got a front set of golf R front brakes, and I was wondering if it's even worth buying back ones as well. I seem to find out that the rotor on the r is ~300 mm as opposed to the ~286 on the GTI? And that is the only difference? If so, does that mean I can just get the rotors, slap them on, and I'll be good? I have a hard time seeing that the rotors would fit...
Any help is greatly appreciated:drinking:

kern417

Go Kart Champion
i believe you'll need rotors (312mm?), calipers, and carriers. but staying stock with upgraded pads and lines would be better than golf r brakes due to the weight difference. that's what i've read anyway.

r0nd3L

Ready to race!
Anybody around Chicago area tracking their MK6 GTI? I have DTC-60 pads and rotors with one weekend on them as well as brand new rear rotors for 2011+. These are plain rotors. I'm willing to let these go for mega cheap as they have been laying in my garage for 1.5 years now...

Sebastian89

Ready to race!
i believe you'll need rotors (312mm?), calipers, and carriers. but staying stock with upgraded pads and lines would be better than golf r brakes due to the weight difference. that's what i've read anyway.

Sweet, thanks man. I already have back rotors and pads from stop tech, I guess I just need to get the lines, and color match all the brakes, since one set is black, the other red :\

MKV Aaron1

Ready to race!
I noticed ZIIs are 568 for four at tire rack, is it worth it for a once and a while autocross car (My GTI)? RS3v2s are 636. Im just wondering if its possible to stretch the mileage to 10k with the occasional autox.

Im only probably going to get 5k or so miles on the RE-11As on my integra but that was a lot of autox runs. Just trying to justify a 200tw tire on my main car lol.

arkaband has a thread about this, his opinion differs from mine. Read the 2 posts and see what makes sense to you.

barische

Go Kart Champion

Yes u will easily get 10k from z2.. I almost got 15-20k from them

v-dug

Go Kart Champion
So what's the consensus with 2011 GTIs and disabling ESC? I know that holding the button only turns off traction control, not skid control. And the only way to defeat ESC completely is disabling the steering wheel sensor, but that will also turn off XDS/brake based limited slip. And the better way to do it via VAGCOM only works on 2012+.

(1) So is it worth it to disable ESC on 2011s for autocross? I know I was impacted at my last event due to it.
(2) How do you disable it? Unplug the sensor under the dash? VAGCOM (which I don't have)? Easily reversible?

Thanks for the input.

Last edited:

aw6141

Go Kart Champion
Did you try this
http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=87293

the esc defeat has me a bit confused after I saw the light blinking on me at autox this past weekend yet I disabled it via VCDS and driving it hard in the rain with it off to see what would happen, the light didnt turn on. Also if I went around in a turn around and mashed the gas pedal, no light blinked either. I'll have to double check the video again if I can see it blink. But I think XDS is still working. I'd be nice to see if snowed for once to see what would happen. But I think the light blinking might have been after pressing the brake, IIRC, traction control on 2012 and mkv cars with defeatable ESP turn on if the brakes are used.

It was raining yesterday so I found a road with space and no cars and tried to hold wheel spin in the wet with the traction control "off". Usually on the stock coding the esc light would at least blink even when it was off, but with the coding changes, no light blinked and I held the wheel spin for a while to see what would happen.

EDIT:
I think this might have been what I noticed, it was crap driving by me though when i saw the light flash lol.
http://www.golfmkv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=164834
http://www.golfmkv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=162853

Last edited:

v-dug

Go Kart Champion
I have not tried that VAGCOM trick you first posted; that's the first I'd heard of that for a 2011. I can try and find someone with VAGCOM and try that myself.

I can turn off the traction control and spin the front tires all day long, but my problem is that if the backend starts to rotate any, skid control nannies will start grabbing brakes and slow me way down. The opening section of our last autocross involved a turn that you wanted to drift your backend around a little, but the more I tried the more the skid control slowed it down.

aw6141

Go Kart Champion
expected at tighter course at todays autocross so I took my Integra this weekend. Here was my fastest run, had good competition in my class of 3 cars. Plus I took the gti last weekend at a really fast autocross that was more like 3rd gear the whole way lol. Interested how my GTI would have done at todays course, I can see some areas where the low end power will help, but the tires would be the weak point

It was a nice 80 degree day in Florida :D

Last edited:

RacingManiac

Drag Race Newbie
TBH I've had more issues with ice mode of the ABS than ESC when I autocross my car. Might be the nature of the bumpy courses in the area.