GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

R in freezing rain

thedude4bides

Go Kart Champion

Agreed. They obviously don't get real snow in PA...

So far I've been in VT, NY, and PA snow and the all seasons have given me no compelling reason to freak out and snow tires...

Turn your hoity toity noses up in the air at me if you want. Just calling like I see it. I'll be sure to post back if I ever eat my words and my R ends up in a roadside ditch...

Buferd

Ready to race!
I'm actually quite pleased with the all-seasons. They do quite well. They will be my "winter tires" until they have no life left.

I can actually confirm this too. I just picked up my 2013 R last week (will post pics and start my car thread soon). I drove it 1077 miles over one weekend and went through everything from 6-8 in. of snow to ice, rain, dry and back to 40 deg weather. I owned a WRX with Blizzaks and it did REALLY good on ice and snow but when it came time to driving mostly on mixed roads the tires turned to Jello. These P Zero-Nero's are very good for being a well rounded tire. I put them through everything so far except HOT weather and they do really good with the AWD on the R. Granted they aren't going to be the best thing ever on snow and ice but with some common sense and a little bit of experience driving on these kind of conditions I have no doubt that someone could take an R with OEM tires and get by just fine.

FYI: The bigger brakes on this R make it incredible for stopping on slick as well! This little car handles SO WELL with AWD that it blows my mind. (Remember I had a WRX just a little over a year ago too and it had an AMAZING AWD system that performed on slick and dry). I'm loving that I chose to get an R over a GTI now with where I live (I always wanted one but price deterred me)

CaptObvious75

Ready to race!
Agreed. They obviously don't get real snow in PA...

Yeah and snow like this:

All seasons need not apply.

Edit: deaks2 knows what I'm talking about. Ottawa ftw!

Last edited:

thedude4bides

Go Kart Champion
Yeah and snow like this:

All seasons need not apply.

Um yeah, your sig says it all... How about we talk when you drive an R?

Oh yeah, i forgot... your words carry sooooo much weight here. Go troll people who care, it'll be much more fun for ya:thumbsup:
Edit: deaks2 knows what I'm talking about. Ottawa ftw!

Edit: why don't you and deaks go race your fwd cars in the Ottowa snow becausesnowtires and stop posting none sense about a car you don't own because you are bored without NHL. It really does not help any R owners looking for advice to hear your none sense on a topic you have zero experience in, namely driving the R's stock tires in the snow.

Last edited:

Buferd

Ready to race!
Some of the conditions my R was in the weekend.

And just now, I haven't gone anywhere today because I have this week off work :D

Deaks2

Ready to race!
The thing about all seasons (whether on a 2WD or 4WD car), is that 4x0 is still 0...

You can do whatever you want, we were just expressing our opinions based on our experience. No need for childish personal attacks.

thedude4bides

Go Kart Champion
The thing about all seasons (whether on a 2WD or 4WD car), is that 4x0 is still 0...

You can do whatever you want, we were just expressing our opinions based on our experience. No need for childish personal attacks.

Please don't confuse me putting you and your holier-than-thou Canuck brother in your place with a childish personal attack. You two have no business commenting on how the R all seasons get by. Thank you for your not so valuable contributions to the R community.:thumbsup:

Deaks2

Ready to race!
Funny, considering my car came with the exact same tires...

thedude4bides

Go Kart Champion
Funny, considering my car came with the exact same tires...

That's actually slightly less than humorous considering you are posting in the R forum. Keep it up. We might start listening...

Here's the takeaway:

All-seaons + fwd + Canadian snow = no bueno (by your account and I have no reason not to believe you)

And

All-season + AWD + wussy American snow = just don't drive like an A-hole and you'll have no trouble (by my account and I don't care if you believe me or not)

Do you see the difference in the left hand sides of those two equations? Is it starting to sink in yet? I feel totally trolled by you fwdriving Canucks... If you had an R and told me you couldn't get to the mountain to go skiing because of all-seasons and your friend in an R with snow tires made it... Yeah, I'd go put some bloody snow tires on tonight. But that is not the case, is it?

Last edited:

CaptObvious75

Ready to race!
Please don't confuse me putting you and your holier-than-thou Canuck brother in your place with a childish personal attack. You two have no business commenting on how the R all seasons get by. Thank you for your not so valuable contributions to the R community.:thumbsup:

Hahahaha back in my place. Amazing! "Don't comment on my godly R all seasons! They are mightier than anything ever put on any other car! The gods forged these tires out of the very depths of Germany!"

Seriously tho dude4bides, you'd better be careful, before some hockey sticks and beaver tails start flying your way.

thedude4bides

Go Kart Champion
Hahahaha back in my place. Amazing! "Don't comment on my godly R all seasons! They are mightier than anything ever put on any other car! The gods forged these tires out of the very depths of Germany!"

I actually didn't say any of that. These are my words verbatim:
"just don't drive like an A-hole and you'll have no trouble"

Seriously tho dude4bides, you'd better be careful, before some hockey sticks and beaver tails start flying your way.

I don't know what sticks and beavers mean to you up there in Canada, but here in the US my stick gets plenty of beaver.

You are acting like a foolish troll running your mouth about things you have zero experience in. Sorry bud, your just not that helpful.

Edit: I know you read this Gun, I'm this close to breakin out the McQueen quote myself!

Last edited:

flyguy27

Ready to race!
You guys are describing two different cars under two different snow conditions. The fact is, one gets along fine with snow tires and the other does not see a need to change to snow tires and getting along just fine. You both win!

Buferd

Ready to race!

HAHAHAHA. That made me laugh (good choice of words actually). But seriously I actually was like you guys and SWORE by winter tires. Now with that being said, Do I have the urge to make a $800 purchase on snow tires because I feel the P Zero Nero's that came on my R are not good enough? Nope. Not even close. Now ask me that same question when I almost had the dealership order my Autobahn GTI. The answer would be, YES! I actually had the winter tires and wheels all lined up through TireRack if I gone that route. Now, Do I still need to be careful and give my self good stopping room and not haul ass around corners, absolutely. I did shit with my Blizzaks that had my passengers leaving poop stains in their undies. When the roads got dry though (still cold) the tires were not so desirable (I assume you are going to get that "Soft" feel to almost any winter tire because that is what they are meant to do, be the right consistency in cold weather). So, all this being said, I think in MY case with AWD and the all season tires, I will be very happy when it snows, ice, rains or dry roads all around. A very happy "In The Middle" solution.