GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

R in freezing rain

Buferd

Ready to race!
Absolutely beautiful! Are you near Grand Targhee?

Yep, about 1 hr 44 min away. I go there pretty often actually to ski. Went three weeks ago before I had the R and we were skiing pow up to our waists in some spots! It was really good. The pictures you saw in my post were actually from up in McCall. The drive there was SOOOO beautiful as you could see. The drive up was seriously post card picture perfect. The trees had frosted snow on them and the river ran right by the road with rocks sticking up so the snow was on them too. The drive from Boise to McCall is just amazing. We skied a hill up there called Brundage and it was not as nice as Targhee but had lots of ski able area.

thedude4bides

Go Kart Champion
Yep, about 1 hr 44 min away. I go there pretty often actually to ski. Went three weeks ago before I had the R and we were skiing pow up to our waists in some spots! It was really good. The pictures you saw in my post were actually from up in McCall. The drive there was SOOOO beautiful as you could see. The drive up was seriously post card picture perfect. The trees had frosted snow on them and the river ran right by the road with rocks sticking up so the snow was on them too. The drive from Boise to McCall is just amazing. We skied a hill up there called Brundage and it was not as nice as Targhee but had lots of ski able area.

Targhee was my first POW... I'll never forget my first lol.

I'm so jealous... I'm skiing ice over here!

Edit: this threads been jacked with enough bs that I don't mind sharing. It was actually at Jackson my buddy learned its not a good idea to unclip in deep stuff. We were blasting though the hoebacks and he stopped to piss without telling us. Unclipped in a drift by a tree and was basically stuck there doing the splits with one ski on the snow and his other leg completely buried. We had to go back up and retrace our paths to find him frozen and stuck there... It was about an hour before we found him and the poor guy never even got to piss ha ha ha!

Last edited:

carsfeverguy

Go Kart Champion
Elitist much? Mother Nature won't distinguish much wether an R or a GTI , when you will have to stop. Actually a GTI would be safer since : less mass to stop.
Those photos that were posted are more of a visual illusion, as the snow was pretty much cleared, and accumulations were virtually none.
I'd rather drive a Tercel with snow tires rather then an R with No Season tires (pun intended)
Get off your high spot, since my Audi trumps your R so bow to me. And I still put snow tires on it.

Buferd

Ready to race!
Targhee was my first POW... I'll never forget my first lol.

I'm so jealous... I'm skiing ice over here!

Edit: this threads been jacked with enough bs that I don't mind sharing. It was actually at Jackson my buddy learned its not a good idea to unclip in deep stuff. We were blasting though the hoebacks and he stopped to piss without telling us. Unclipped in a drift by a tree and was basically stuck there doing the splits with one ski on the snow and his other leg completely buried. We had to go back up and retrace our paths to find him frozen and stuck there... It was about an hour before we found him and the poor guy never even got to piss ha ha ha!

I've lost my ski in deep pow like that and it does suck very much. I have learned that you get on your belly and dig a spot out for your ski, then step up into it.

But yes, that is another story for another thread :threadjacked:

Buferd

Ready to race!
Elitist much? Mother Nature won't distinguish much wether an R or a GTI , when you will have to stop. Actually a GTI would be safer since : less mass to stop.
Those photos that were posted are more of a visual illusion, as the snow was pretty much cleared, and accumulations were virtually none.
I'd rather drive a Tercel with snow tires rather then an R with No Season tires (pun intended)
Get off your high spot, since my Audi trumps your R so bow to me. And I still put snow tires on it.

I was merely trying to say I drove in MANY conditions this past weekend and I unfortunately did not get pictures of the night we came down the ski hill (got 6 in of snow or more since noon that day) and the roads were NOT cleared off. I don't disagree with you on snow tires at all. They do a fantastic job. The point I want to get across is I have grown up in the Rockies my whole life and see some snow. Do I feel the need to get snow tires with my R? No. If I got snow tires for free would I use them? Yes. I am merely saying that I have been in really bad conditions in short period of time already and feel safe to say I don't need to spend $800 on snow tires. If I had your car and lived where you did. Yes you can believe I would have the best snow tires I can get. Hopefully this clears some things up and stops the non-sense

Edit: when it also decides to stop snowing here and they clear the roads, my all seasons will make me more happy then the Blizzaks did. If I lived in some far away land where they rarely clear the roads off (actually not far from here to be honest) then snow tires would probably be on my list.

thedude4bides

Go Kart Champion

Oh great another guy who hasn't tested out the R's all-seasons in ice and snow that thinks its a good idea to post in here that we need snow tires to survive the winter...

It has zero to do with being "elitist", as you say, and everything to do with sharing an honest first hand experience with other R owners in the R forum. Get off your soap box and the next time you feel the need to post your non-relevant opinion just go to you mommies medicine cabinet and take as much as will fit in your hands...

carsfeverguy

Go Kart Champion
Get off your soap box and the next time you feel the need to post your non-relevant opinion just go to you mommies medicine cabinet and take as much as will fit in your hands...

Thank you for your not so valuable contributions to the R community.

why don't you and deaks go race your fwd cars in the Ottowa snow becausesnowtires and stop posting none sense about a car you don't own because you are bored without NHL

Turn your hoity toity noses up in the air at me if you want

Buford, I have no issue with you. Good contributions, which I am sure will give many relevant info.
But thedude4bides ... :paddle:

Wow, you managed to insult several members of the board, and don't know when to quit! Everyone's input is relevant as after all this is an opinion board. In fact it is your attitude that prompted me to post. And get over yourself, an R is an mk6 golf nothing more and this site is called golfmk6.com
And don't get me started about your mommy. Merry Christmas!!

thedude4bides

Go Kart Champion
But thedude4bides ... :paddle:

Wow, you managed to insult several members of the board, and don't know when to quit! Everyone's input is relevant as after all this is an opinion board. In fact it is your attitude that prompted me to post. And get over yourself, an R is an mk6 golf nothing more and this site is called golfmk6.com
And don't get me started about your mommy. Merry Christmas!!

Since you feel the need to make this thread a pissing contest, I will address your citations on a point by point basis.
Get off your soap box and the next time you feel the need to post your non-relevant opinion just go to you mommies medicine cabinet and take as much as will fit in your hands...

was in response to:

Elitist much?
Get off your high spot, since my Audi trumps your R so bow to me.

Oh, look! That's you! Was I out of line? I think not. Don't go near the fire if you don't want to get burned...

Thank you for your not so valuable contributions to the R community.:thumbsup:

Was in response to a guy who felt the need to 'express his opinion based on his experience". Given that he has zero first hand experience to report in the R Forum on how well (or not-so-well) the stock tires on the AWD Golf R do in winter condition, I would say that what you quoted is not out of the realm of possibility to be dealt out.

Now, for this one... all i have to do is highlight in bold text the part you left out.
Edit: why don't you and deaks go race your fwd cars in the Ottowa snow becausesnowtires and stop posting none sense about a car you don't own because you are bored without NHL. It really does not help any R owners looking for advice to hear your none sense on a topic you have zero experience in, namely driving the R's stock tires in the snow.
and yet he came back...

Turn your hoity toity noses up in the air at me if you want.

was in response to

Agreed. They obviously don't get real snow in PA...

Are you trying to tell me that I was anything but accurate???? They aren't turning their elitist Canadian noses up in the air at my first hand experience ????

You, sir, are an idiot who stuck his nose where it didn't belong and you and your other Canadian friends prompted poor Buford to justify sharing his experience which he certainly did not need to do for you or any other clown who wants to come in this thread and insult someone for sharing their experience. For that, you will get smacked around un-apologetically for as long as it takes. GTFO

Last edited:

ottwabbit

Ready to race!
I feel this thread has been hijacked. The whole point is to brag about how good R is in the winter conditions. I have owned MK3 Golf, MK4 Golf, MK5 Rabbit, MK6 GTI and MK6 R, and have driven dozens of different non-VW cars and NONE of the cars I have owned/driven have performed so beautifully in Winter as the R. That's it...

Last edited:

carsfeverguy

Go Kart Champion
Since you feel the need to make this thread a pissing contest, I will address your citations on a point by point basis.

was in response to:

Oh, look! That's you! Was I out of line? I think not. Don't go near the fire if you don't want to get burned...

Was in response to a guy who felt the need to 'express his opinion based on his experience". Given that he has zero first hand experience to report in the R Forum on how well (or not-so-well) the stock tires on the AWD Golf R do in winter condition, I would say that what you quoted is not out of the realm of possibility to be dealt out.

Now, for this one... all i have to do is highlight in bold text the part you left out.

and yet he came back...

was in response to

Are you trying to tell me that I was anything but accurate???? They aren't turning their elitist Canadian noses up in the air at my first hand experience ????

You, sir, are an idiot who stuck his nose where it didn't belong and you and your other Canadian friends prompted poor Buford to justify sharing his experience which he certainly did not need to do for you or any other clown who wants to come in this thread and insult someone for sharing their experience. For that, you will get smacked around un-apologetically for as long as it takes. GTFO

Quoted, so u can get banned. Eh! :D

thedude4bides

Go Kart Champion
I feel this thread has been hijacked. The whole point is to brag about how good R is in the winter conditions. I have owned MK4 Golf, MK5 Rabbit, MK6 GTI and MK6 R, and have driven dozens of different non-VW cars and NONE of the cars I have owned/driven have performed so beautifully in Winter as the R. That's it...

OP, I got carried away in your thread and I'm sorry man.

I want to publicly stress that I am not a Canadian hater, I just happened to get into a spat with a few that threw their snow superiority in my face. I can only wish to have as much snow to play in as they do.

Truth is, it is not beneath me to respond to perceived negativity which, in turn, breeds more negativity. To all who have witnessed my negative posts, I apologize that you had to read it and I will make a conscious effort to let little things go.

ottwabbit

Ready to race!
OP, I got carried away in your thread and I'm sorry man.

I want to publicly stress that I am not a Canadian hater, I just happened to get into a spat with a few that threw their snow superiority in my face. I can only wish to have as much snow to play in as they do.

Truth is, it is not beneath me to respond to perceived negativity which, in turn, breeds more negativity. To all who have witnessed my negative posts, I apologize that you had to read it and I will make a conscious effort to let little things go.

No worries, dude, I wasn't pointing fingers at anyone in particular. We're all part of the great VW community that has always been full of different opinions and as long as we all agree to disagree at times, it's all good ;)

Bottom line is, R is a f***king great car in snow and ice ;) ;)

carsfeverguy

Go Kart Champion
No worries, let's get this thread back on track:

Ps. We are all here to learn something, and your ski story, while funny, was a lesson to be learned.