GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

R in freezing rain

thedude4bides

Go Kart Champion
This pic was taken after 4 inches hit Blue Mt. PA. Shortly after the pic was taken, I pulled out of the parking spot and a mk4 golf was stuck spinning wheels in the parking in front of me and a group snow boarders (that appeared to be smoking something that smelled kinda good!) nearby ran to his rescue and gave him a push to get going up the incline. A few must have been dubbers because they were cheering for the my R and one yelled "Yeah buddy, Golf R AWD rules!". So of coarse, I threw them the "V" and proceeded to do a ricer flyby lol.

just a few 'tex links re:golf R in the snow:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?5919913-Mid-Season-Winter-Tire-Report-Card

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?5902331-The-Official-Golf-R-quot-Snow-quot-Thread

Last edited:

Buferd

Ready to race!
This pic was taken after 4 inches hit Blue Mt. PA. Shortly after the pic was taken, I pulled out of the parking spot and a mk4 golf was stuck spinning wheels in the parking in front of me and a group snow boarders (that appeared to be smoking something that smelled kinda good!) nearby ran to his rescue and gave him a push to get going up the incline. A few must have been dubbers because they were cheering for the my R and one yelled "Yeah buddy, Golf R AWD rules!". So of coarse, I threw them the "V" and proceeded to do a ricer flyby lol.

Yes!! HAHA.

HardCandy

Go Kart Champion
Buferd, i can only imagine your deep inner satisfaction with choosing the R over the GTI.

Ill be honest im getting pretty jelly of the R especially in 2+ forum.

Buferd

Ready to race!
I am very happy going with the R to be honest. I was pretty set on DSG but I can drive a manual pretty well since I grew up driving them and about half my cars have been manuals. I am kinda bummed the oil change process is more of a pain than the GTI but other than that, AWD and most everything else make me very happy

zrickety

The Fixer
It's hard to read threads these days with all the personal attacks and pissing contests...
All tires are not created equal, personally I think you can get by with all-seasons that are M+S rated. Anything less will be worthless in the snow. Summer tires are like skis. AWD is great and so are snows, but honestly the winters have been disappointing until recently. I remember growing up in NY with 2+ feet not counting huge drifts. Global warming FTL.

troyguitar

Go Kart Champion
Just drove from NYC back home in the damn snow storm on Saturday and kind of wished I had bought an R or at least winter tires - but not really as I was already able to scream past EVERYONE on I-80 just fine doing 55-70 in the snowy/slushy left lane. That is when there wasn't some scared dumbfuck in an AWD SUV going 35mph in my way... :lol:

I'm not sure how much an R would have helped. I guess I could have gone 100 instead of just 70?

Buferd

Ready to race!
It's hard to read threads these days with all the personal attacks and pissing contests...
All tires are not created equal, personally I think you can get by with all-seasons that are M+S rated. Anything less will be worthless in the snow. Summer tires are like skis. AWD is great and so are snows, but honestly the winters have been disappointing until recently. I remember growing up in NY with 2+ feet not counting huge drifts. Global warming FTL.

I hear ya. I guess I was just trying to share my experience with what the car came with. I am a total advocate for winter tires and if you have a FWD car and live in areas that get snow and ice, you should get snow tires. Now the point I was trying to drive home is I have had winter tires on an AWD vehicle and I have had all-seasons on AWD vehicles (my Kia Sportage is what I traded in toward the R) and SO FAR I have not felt the need for me to spend $800 or more on snow tires. I just wanted to share with people thinking of getting snow tires this:

If you have AWD, Take it easy and see what you think on how your tires and vehicle handle (this is my main point because peoples conditions, driving skills and wear on tires already are all factoring into this) I don't mind taking it easy with all seasons because there are times I drive on dry or wet roads and I do not like the jello feeling of winter tires when it gets above 32 degrees (F)

If you have FWD, Take it easy as well but know that you are going to have a much harder time controlling your vehicle without snow tires and life would be a lot simpler if you just went ahead and got them.

thedude4bides

Go Kart Champion
I hear ya. I guess I was just trying to share my experience with what the car came with. I am a total advocate for winter tires and if you have a FWD car and live in areas that get snow and ice, you should get snow tires. Now the point I was trying to drive home is I have had winter tires on an AWD vehicle and I have had all-seasons on AWD vehicles (my Kia Sportage is what I traded in toward the R) and SO FAR I have not felt the need for me to spend $800 or more on snow tires. I just wanted to share with people thinking of getting snow tires this:

If you have AWD, Take it easy and see what you think on how your tires and vehicle handle (this is my main point because peoples conditions, driving skills and wear on tires already are all factoring into this) I don't mind taking it easy with all seasons because there are times I drive on dry or wet roads and I do not like the jello feeling of winter tires when it gets above 32 degrees (F)

If you have FWD, Take it easy as well but know that you are going to have a much harder time controlling your vehicle without snow tires and life would be a lot simpler if you just went ahead and got them.

Buferd is much more diplomatic to trolls than most:thumbsup:

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
I can vouch on the all-seasons on AWD being as good , if not better than snows on FWD.

georgy

Ready to race!
I can vouch on the all-seasons on AWD being as good , if not better than snows on FWD.

How exactly does AWD help you stop and turn (when not on the throttle)?

To me snow tires are a no brainer because they allow you to have dedicated summer tires during the warm months of the year.

Why buy an expensive car and then compromise summer and winter performance by using mediocre all-season tires that isn't perfectly suited to either?

CaptObvious75

Ready to race!

Bah hahaha! I actually laughed out loud at this

How exactly does AWD help you stop and turn (when not on the throttle)?

To me snow tires are a no brainer because they allow you to have dedicated summer tires during the warm months of the year.

Why buy an expensive car and then compromise summer and winter performance by using mediocre all-season tires that isn't perfectly suited to either?

You will be labeled as a troll now since you don't agree