GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Rebuilding a 2.0 TSI after timing failure at 173k *ON A BUDGET* (less than $1k spent) - And Then Balance Shafts 2 Years Later

Roadrunner_GTI

Drag Racing Champion
I tried that early on. Access is pretty good through the wheel well with the engine lowered. Honestly afraid of damaging the block, but already looking at motors/blocks for plan B.
The block is pretty stout there, I would try handle pry bar in this area. This worked for me, but I did have to put some effort behind it.
B7F145C1-B116-48F5-800A-E101E39D1C10.jpeg

zrickety

The Fixer

Grabbit

Go Kart Champion
Since you already have the pan off, can you get a pry bar up onto the backside of the balance shaft? Maybe then wack it with a rubber mallet?

zrickety

The Fixer
Since you already have the pan off, can you get a pry bar up onto the backside of the balance shaft? Maybe then wack it with a rubber mallet?
Can you really see from under there? I didn't even consider this.
Theres a plug on the opposite side of the engine you may be able remove to tap it out.

See:
I watched that video but missed the plug you're talking about. Looks like my Saturday is planned out.
Thanks guys.

Grabbit

Go Kart Champion
Theres a plug on the opposite side of the engine you may be able remove to tap it out.

I think you need to pull the trans to get access to that plug...... If so, that's no bueno. 🙃

1659208077149.png

Can you really see from under there? I didn't even consider this.

I honestly have no idea. Never pulled the pan myself.

zrickety

The Fixer
I finally had time to pull the transmission yesterday. Clutch and flywheel come off, the plug we need to remove is the larger one at the top right.
IMG_20220806_113337737_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220806_114448018.jpg

All it took was a few good hits (be sure to use a slightly smaller diameter, just under 3/4" or 17mm socket or bar) and the shaft came right out. This was world's easier than the special tool in this case (about $100 wasted).
Untitled.jpg

The plastic sleeve is still good, that's going back in.
IMG_20220806_115246105.jpg

Thanks to Jay @jay745 Jason Stathumb for inspiring me to fix my #racecar

Last edited:

zrickety

The Fixer
Another shout out to Lubeck for quality balance shafts...the new one slid right in. VW could learn from their tolerances.
I was able to reuse the freeze plug. I've got the flywheel, clutch and trans back in just as it started raining. Today was a win.

Last edited:

Grabbit

Go Kart Champion
I finally had time to pull the transmission yesterday.

Why not throw an LSD in "while you're in there"........ because #racecar right? :poop:

zrickety

The Fixer
Why not throw an LSD in "while you're in there"........ because #racecar right? :poop:
I had an MFactory for the DSG car but then I sold the car and the LSD. I'd love to put one in here, maybe next year.
Got all the chains on today, timing was off half a tooth, I probably spent an hour getting it right. Maybe it's my Chinese cam holders. Service manual shows a wrench to move the cams, it's about 18mm but an 11/16" worked better for me. I imagine there is another special tool for them?

zrickety

The Fixer
Got the timing covers back on and the engine mount done. Lost an exhaust manifold stud and downpipe nut during disassembly, also had a small coolant leak at the turbo before this began. So I've ordered about $50 in misc parts from @ECS Tuning that should be here later this week. Puts my balance shaft job at about $400 total.

zrickety

The Fixer
Got the intake manifold on, found one of the bolts I was missing for the turbo, that's mounted, just waiting on a couple sealing washers and an o-ring to finish. Should be here tomorrow. Getting anxious to drive this thing again.

Last edited:

zrickety

The Fixer
I buttoned up the car yesterday. I was waiting for an upper heater hose as mine had a broken nipple on top. Damn plastic engine parts.
Drove it a few hours now, about 200 miles...Great success! No engine lights, no leaks. Now it just needs a good bath.
The Wortec pan swallows more than the advertised 1 extra liter, and I will have to cut off more of the ECS street shield to clear it.

IMG_20220820_143057318_HDR.jpg

Roadrunner_GTI

Drag Racing Champion
Did you notice any increase in oil pressure after replacing the balance shafts? Couldn't remember if you have an oil pressure gauge.

zrickety

The Fixer
Did you notice any increase in oil pressure after replacing the balance shafts? Couldn't remember if you have an oil pressure gauge.
No, I don't have a gauge. I've been driving the car pretty hard and all is well. I had a brief low pressure warning early on, during a turn, but the level was low. I topped it off and haven't had any issues since.