GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

RS999 - 2012 TDI Build Thread

rawbdog

Go Kart Champion
I kept my DPF on with Stage 2 because my tuner said the climate here in Mid-Atlantic VA would not be an issue.

I have been driving it hard enough to get fans blasting after parking. I wonder if a track day would hurt anything other than a clogged DPF?

Might have to think about getting that S3 FMIC sooner...

yeah i already have a fault code that keeps poping up and then disappearing. and my dealer won't work on it because i have an intake on it. so im just going to throw on the stock intake real quick and have them fix it. i believie it is either a blocked/leaking turbo hose or i have a soot build up. which is weird bc i drive the car hard as hell all the time.

rs999

Go Kart Champion
First day back on OEM GTI Springs and FSDs with H&R 26/24 bars.

I did some aggressive driving with the TDI to work. The ride is tighter but not as refined and precise as a stock GTI. Not a cushy ride like the stock TDI setup either but definitely better. However, there was some bottoming out and rolling especially in the dips and bottom of ramps.

I wonder if it's the FSDs that are the weak link here? Would an H&R touring cup kit work better or Neuspeed Sport Springs which are usually paired with FSDs to make a cup kit?

Last edited:

rs999

Go Kart Champion
Biolines will be going up for sale soon with the stock Passat wheels that came with my TDI.

rs999

Go Kart Champion
Ordered some lightweight Rial Milanos in Titanium Gunmetal with 205/55VR16 Continental PureContacts. Should be here Friday.

Also, the TDI is as Firestone for an alignment to correct the some of the pulling to the right that the car has.

Last edited:

rs999

Go Kart Champion
Went to lunch, did some aggressive driving. The FSDs are doing ok on the OEM GTI springs but I think I can do with a better setup.

I'll give the suspension three months to settle and myself to get used to it then I am going to try OEM TDI springs plus Bilstein HDs. Then after three months, if that setup doesn't work, OEM GTI springs plus the HDs.

rs999

Go Kart Champion
New Rial Milano wheels:

I ordered some 65mm VW caps from eBay, the measurements are accurate to the caps that Rial included with the wheels. Hopefully they fit.

rs999

Go Kart Champion
looks good :thumbsup:

Thanks I can't decide if I want a H&R touring cup kit, Bilstein HD's on OEM TDI springs, or HD's on GTI springs.

I don't mind the gap so lowering is the least of my priorities. I just want a good ride that isn't super stiff but still allows me to attack turns, ramps, and corners at speed.

rs999

Go Kart Champion
After two weeks on this suspension (GTI springs, FSDs, and H&R 26/24 bars), I definitely need to look into something else when I get my 10K service.

Too much roll and brake dive. I'm thinking of combining the Eibach Pro-Kit springs with my FSDs to make the Koni Cup Kit but I'll be going for the GTI springs in order to keep drop below 1".

rs999

Go Kart Champion
Still waiting on MJM Autohaus to deliver my GTI Neuspeed Sport Springs for the TDI, ordered back on 4/18.

These springs have a perfect (for me) 1" drop and higher than stock GTI spring rate.

Should be a good combo with the Koni FSDs that are on the car. If not I'll look into the H&R touring cup kit.

rs999

Go Kart Champion
Cancelled the MJM Autohaus order for the Neuspeed springs. Instead I ordered a H&R touring cup kit for tracking and to firm up the ride more; the 1.3" drop is the only thing I an worried about with the kit but hopefully I don't scrape up things too much.

The car did very well on track day with larger ECS brake rotors, stock pads, and upgraded brake fluid. However, it really ran out of steam on the straights, I hit 110mph but ran out of room to go any faster before I had to brake.

I'm thinking I may need to get a dedicated track car, like an Audi TT or coupe VW GTI both in DSG if I am going to go any further with tracking.

cantdrive55

Passed Driver's Ed
Got a quick question for you. Coming from the GTI how would you compare the two? I'm thinking about getting out of my manual GTI and getting into a DSG TDI since my commute is just stop and go traffic at this point. Thanks!

Last edited:

rs999

Go Kart Champion
Got a quick question for you. Coming from the GTI how would you compare the two? I'm thinking about getting out of my manual GTI and getting into a DSG TDI since my commute is just stop and go traffic at this point. Thanks!

The GTI is faster, noisier, and drinks more fuel than the TDI. Perfect for spirited driving.

The TDI with the correct mods, suspension and a tune, gets you about 80% of what the GTI has except it's a bit quieter because of the asphalt bottom coat.

I'm getting more into tracking so I'd like a 2.0T based VAG car in my future but for now my TDI is doing pretty good for me. Plus, I got 50 MPG on my TDI last week, you can't get that on a GTI. :D