GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Should I replace a timing chain tensioner at 95k miles?

JerrBear

Ready to race!
Hi all, recently had my stock 2012 VW GTI (manual trans) in for it's 90k service and my mechanic suggested getting my timing chain tensioner replaced since the car is getting up there in miles (I'm still on the original).

What is everyone's thoughts on getting it replaced even though it's been running fine? Haven't had any issues with the car but just wanted some perspective, I'm not really in a position to be spending money I don't have to but at the same time I read about all the problems it can lead to if it fails.

Thanks!

GolNat

Autocross Champion
Check the cam phase with OBD11 or VagCom. It's a good way to get an idea of what kinda stretch you have.

Block 93.

alpha3

Go Kart Champion
^^^^^^^^^^^
What GolNat said, for sure.

But, you have a 2012.......? and that's right on the cusp of having the new version tensioner or the old version. That's what you need to find out, plus the stretch like GolNat said. If your tensioner is the old version......REPLACE it. I tend to think your mechanic is suggesting replacement because he already knows you have the old version. But I would certainly find out.

If, on the other hand, you have a newer tensioner AND your stretch is relatively modest........you can delay this further, 90K isn't much mileage for these cars. I'm coming up on 120k on mine, stretch is 3.1 so far, not that much.

torga

Autocross Champion
To give you a number to shoot for, it's generally agreed upon that ±5° is a solid range for Block 93.

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
Everyone telling you to read block 93 are kind of missing the point...

Whether he should get his Tensioner changed, not necessarily the chain is the relevant question.

This question is more imperitive as he has a 2012 and thus might have the old tensioner and therefore would need it to be addressed asap, forget about chain stretch.

To the OP: call your VW dealer, give them the vin and ask if you have the updated tensioner or not.

I have an early made model 2012 and I have the updated tensioner. But you may not.

Tyler12108

Go Kart Newbie
Replaced mine around that mileage, had the old version and also significant chain stretch...lucky nothing happened I feel like it was just in time.

JerrBear

Ready to race!
Everyone telling you to read block 93 are kind of missing the point...

Whether he should get his Tensioner changed, not necessarily the chain is the relevant question.

This question is more imperitive as he has a 2012 and thus might have the old tensioner and therefore would need it to be addressed asap, forget about chain stretch.

To the OP: call your VW dealer, give them the vin and ask if you have the updated tensioner or not.

I have an early made model 2012 and I have the updated tensioner. But you may not.

So I just got off the phone with the VW dealer and the guy did not sound confident at all in telling me that he "thinks I might" have the old version and they wouldn't know what's in the car unless they did the service to replace the tensioner at the dealership.

I did some more searching around on the issue and I also DID NOT receive the class action and warranty extension for the timing chain tensioner so maybe my car does have the updated version?

Tyler12108

Go Kart Newbie
So I just got off the phone with the VW dealer and the guy did not sound confident at all in telling me that he "thinks I might" have the old version and they wouldn't know what's in the car unless they did the service to replace the tensioner at the dealership.

I did some more searching around on the issue and I also DID NOT receive the class action and warranty extension for the timing chain tensioner so maybe my car does have the updated version?
There is a cover that can be popped off to look at it with a mirror since it is at an awkward spot, you should definitely get it confirmed.

JerrBear

Ready to race!
^^^^^^^^^^^
What GolNat said, for sure.

But, you have a 2012.......? and that's right on the cusp of having the new version tensioner or the old version. That's what you need to find out, plus the stretch like GolNat said. If your tensioner is the old version......REPLACE it. I tend to think your mechanic is suggesting replacement because he already knows you have the old version. But I would certainly find out.

If, on the other hand, you have a newer tensioner AND your stretch is relatively modest........you can delay this further, 90K isn't much mileage for these cars. I'm coming up on 120k on mine, stretch is 3.1 so far, not that much.
That's interesting that you bring this up because when I asked my mechanic if there was any signs to look out for that the tensioner is starting to wear, he told me that there isn't and they just randomly go out. No mention about stretch at all. I'm trying to figure out if I have the old or new one right now but the dealership couldn't really give me a straight answer

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
I would call another dealer, hopefully with a better parts department. The VIN should be sufficient to get the data that shows what the car came from the factory with.

Alternatively, if you remove the passenger side wheel you can access a little porthole that you can pop open and get a visual inspection of the tensioner. It is obvious which one is which as they have different designs.

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
That's interesting that you bring this up because when I asked my mechanic if there was any signs to look out for that the tensioner is starting to wear, he told me that there isn't and they just randomly go out. No mention about stretch at all. I'm trying to figure out if I have the old or new one right now but the dealership couldn't really give me a straight answer
Your mechanic I assume is an indy mechanic and thus doesn't have the same knowledge of people who work soley on this platform. He isn't lying to or misleading you, he just has limited knowledge.

The chain stretch is an entirely different issue. The chain tensioner is the one that will explode your engine. Chain stretch happens over years and slowly causes timing issues. The old tensioner might as well be a grenade.

JerrBear

Ready to race!
I would call another dealer, hopefully with a better parts department. The VIN should be sufficient to get the data that shows what the car came from the factory with.

Alternatively, if you remove the passenger side wheel you can access a little porthole that you can pop open and get a visual inspection of the tensioner. It is obvious which one is which as they have different designs.
So I've called 2 more dealerships and they both aren't able to tell me which one I have in my car. I looked through my car documents and my car's production date is 2011-11-26. Does this give any insight on what may be in the car?

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
Unfortunately it's pretty hit or miss just going by date when it's right on the cusp. You need to tell your mechanic to inspect the hole to see the tensioner.

If you wanna be safe just assume it has the old tensioner and do like your mechanic said and change out the chains, tensioner and guides all in one go. Prolly cost you around 1200.

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
replacing the tensioner now is cheaper than getting a new motor later.