GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Stage 2+ .:R vs multipule half mile drags on runway

vwgti2.0t

Go Kart Champion
It sucks they didn't use the 2 piece drive shaft they use on the GT, but due to cost + fuel efficiency + national speed limits not being over 85, I think Ford figured they would be ok. None of them have failed at stock limiter speeds. The failure at 135 is scary as shit though, but that idiot shouldn't be doing 135 on a public road anyways. If you're going to do a top speed run on your car at a track, I'm willing to bet in a modified class they require a drive shaft safety loop. Not only that, the 112mph limiter is right at the limit of the stock tires on the V6. If you were to the same speed, and the tire was to blow, would it still be Ford's fault?

What's funny about this, is my dad upgraded the stock 2 piece driveshaft on his 11 GT500 to an aluminum one from a reputable company and had it blow apart at HIGH speed. And by blow apart, I mean destroyed the floor, broke an ear off the block that the trans bolts to, bent the input shaft on the trans, and hit the floor so hard that it broke the center console and destroyed the ABS module :eek:

After a new floor, a new block with forged rods/pistons, a new trans, a carbon fiber driveshaft (with TWO safety loops :thumbsup:) and a 2.9 whipple it now makes 760whp.. Hopefully we can keep the driveshaft together this time :lol:

To keep on topic, I was really suprised how well the R did. And to think, a K04 gti should be slightly faster due to no drivetrain loss? Pretty impressive!

And one more off topic.. Lou went from complete asshole to now "I own a BMW that's the fastest car in the world" asshole.

kern417

Go Kart Champion
1/2 mile runs give fwd a much bigger advantage than 1/4. But it's all relative i guess it depends on what you care about. I still don't understand how 1/4 mile became the standard. I guess because some cars reach such high speeds by then that 1/2 mile would be completely insane.

Chef_R_Gamie

Ready to race!
Nice driving !the view where I could see you shifting was great, any chance of a video where we could see your feet while shifting?

intoflatlines

Drag Race Newbie
yeah lol thats me, assuming you've seen the video you've heard the shifts i did in that Si. I mean yeah this guy can shift, but i've heard/seen much faster shifts
Haha yep I've seen the video. Got into a huge flamewar over at 8thcivic with the fanboys over there over that video haha. But yeah, it is not surprising that you would not be overly impressed but to us non-racecar shifters, it is very impressive!

ImAuthenticFTW

Go Kart Champion
Haha yep I've seen the video. Got into a huge flamewar over at 8thcivic with the fanboys over there over that video haha. But yeah, it is not surprising that you would not be overly impressed but to us non-racecar shifters, it is very impressive!

and to think, after that i went with a DSG on the GTI lol

Anyway not to take away from the OP, i still hate him for having 1/2 mile drags!! lol

hazy450

Passed Driver's Ed
1/2 mile runs give fwd a much bigger advantage than 1/4. But it's all relative i guess it depends on what you care about. I still don't understand how 1/4 mile became the standard. I guess because some cars reach such high speeds by then that 1/2 mile would be completely insane.

Actually I think not. Keep in mind that this is a private runway, not a prepped dragstrip. The trail of dust/dirt that the cars create behind them is pretty bad. They offer either from a dig or a 30mph roll 100ft into the 1/2 mile. I did this last year with my Ko4 tiguan and just spun the front tires all the way through 3rd and only got 121mph. There was a ko4 TT that only got 127mph. In comparison with my .:R out of the hole I am already doing 70mph by the time I get to those 100ft cones vs a 30mph roll.....when I do a roll I lose 5-8mph up top.

Long story short a FWD ko4 GTI will spin the tires like crazy and probably only get around 130 if that. U can see by that zo6 that spun like crazy. There were high hp RWD cars that could not go full throttle until around 60-70mph.