GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The Official K04 Club (Experiences and Troubleshooting)

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
I don't plan on putting an LSD in.. Although it would make a good difference probably around turns, the sticky tires, WALK, mounts, coilovers, sway bars, strut bars, and other suspension mods keep it on the road pretty well.. I have no complaints

I'd kind of agree. I had a k04 in mine for quite a while without an LSD and felt it was fine for street driving. When I did the LSD I felt an incredible difference on the track, but street driving I didn't. I don't live in an area with a lot of twisty roads or canyons to carve unfortunately.

dead_catz

Ready to race!
I'd kind of agree. I had a k04 in mine for quite a while without an LSD and felt it was fine for street driving. When I did the LSD I felt an incredible difference on the track, but street driving I didn't. I don't live in an area with a lot of twisty roads or canyons to carve unfortunately.

would you do k04 again if you only had street driving with no time at track? assuming no lsd

TSI_Guy

Go Kart Champion
would you do k04 again if you only had street driving with no time at track? assuming no lsd

I'll throw in my .02 cents....

K04 is fun, it really is. Great mod for decent street power and drivability. I have been K04 for about a year now (IIRC) and the only thing I would do different, is go bigger. Once you drop the K04 in there, it's nice, but once you get used to that power there's nowhere to go. There's no room to grow after a K04 upgrade, if that's fine with you, then go for it. If I built this car all over again, I would skip K04 and just get a GTX29-30 series turbo and call it a day. You can run it on low boost if you want slightly higher than K04 numbers and when you get bored, you have a good bit of headroom to make more power.

K04 makes a nice daily though, very torque-y and fun compared to K03.

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do

I absolutely would, in fact I would have probably skipped stage 1 and 2 and went straight to k04 after buying the car if I had known. I definitely would have ended up getting rid of the car a long time ago if I did not put a k04 on it.

JoeCap

Ready to race!
were you stage 2 before?

I was Stage 2 on the new APR tune that was released in April. Honestly, I'm not a fan of that tune. Now that the k04 is in and some maintenance has been done, the car feels brand new again and really is a lot of fun to drive.

Sauce118

Ready to race!
Also... don't call me stupid for asking.. But people have said that their K04 spool and whistle noise is much louder than their k03/IHI... My IHI sounded real nice.. very loud with all charge pipes, intake, FMIC, and TBE... When I switched to K04, my car is much much faster of course, however the spool and whistle from the turbo is barely noticeable... Does the CTS k04 kit have a turbo muffler? or maybe it is just throwing so much air through the system that the spool noise is over taken by the intak/engine/exhaust.. before when k03 I used to be in low rpm in 3rd and just tap the gas and it would spool like a mack truck.. sssssssssssssssssst.. it doesn't do that anymore.. I was just wondering if that was why? Again i know this is a noob question...

Someone. Please?

dead_catz

Ready to race!
I absolutely would, in fact I would have probably skipped stage 1 and 2 and went straight to k04 after buying the car if I had known. I definitely would have ended up getting rid of the car a long time ago if I did not put a k04 on it.

A lot of my driving is zipping from stop light to stop light will I still get this same satisfaction from k04 as i do from the old apr stage 2 file?

Jlove8128

Ready to race!
A lot of my driving is zipping from stop light to stop light will I still get this same satisfaction from k04 as i do from the old apr stage 2 file?

Yes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
This. I wouldn't even say there's no headroom on top of k04. From a stock k04 setup (let's pretend that's DP and IC) there's still at least 10 more whp on tap with minor mods and 25 if you go WM.
Someone. Please?
No turbo muffler. The k04 just flows differently. I'm a bit quieter with k04 as well.
Absolutely. K04 drives better at part throttle than k03 because it's less eager to jump to full boost. It will get up to full boost athletically of you ask, but the difference is that it won't go hog wild when you don't ask it to.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Jlove8128

Ready to race!
Plus when you really get on it the damn car is so loud it sounds like a beast. I do have a catless setup though.

Last edited:

Hoosier Daddy1

Ready to race!
To the guys who want to know why K04 is quieter, if you don't have the relocate system it will be due to flow characteristics of the turbo. It could also be that your actuator is turned up and not allowing release earlier through partial throttle

Sauce118

Ready to race!
This. I wouldn't even say there's no headroom on top of k04. From a stock k04 setup (let's pretend that's DP and IC) there's still at least 10 more whp on tap with minor mods and 25 if you go WM.

No turbo muffler. The k04 just flows differently. I'm a bit quieter with k04 as well.

Absolutely. K04 drives better at part throttle than k03 because it's less eager to jump to full boost. It will get up to full boost athletically of you ask, but the difference is that it won't go hog wild when you don't ask it to.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Thanks bro.

And k04 is absolutely an increase in performance all around. It makes the car a whole new machine. Stop asking questions and just do it. It's so worth it!!!! I waited too long myself asking questions about how much better it is than a fully modded stage 2 build. And honestly it is twice as fast. It's a monster. Really it is

KFahey

Ready to race!
Hmm, I heard zero turbo spool with my IHI ....my k04 spool is loud compared to no sound with my ihi. Blow off seems louder too and is a flutter every time instead of a solid whoosh of air. Not sure how your k04 is quieter honestly? Stock DV location too

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

KFahey

Ready to race!
I purposely slowly build up boost all the time just to hear that spool man just sounds soooo good

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

mfractal

Ready to race!
Yup. K04 flutters a lot when letting off the throttle. No way around it. Can't say I am a big fan so if there's something to be done I'd gladly try.