GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The Official K04 Club (Experiences and Troubleshooting)

Hoosier Daddy1

Ready to race!
On the DV+ issue I did email the guys at GFB about it as I had no issue with my IHI, however when I moved to K04 I got the soft code. They said I should examine the entire charge system and then check again. Pull the DV+ out and give it a clean.

Nothing. Once I changed tuners absolutely perfect, so I'm certain it's a control issue.

SoWalGTI

Autocross Champion
On the DV+ issue I did email the guys at GFB about it as I had no issue with my IHI, however when I moved to K04 I got the soft code. They said I should examine the entire charge system and then check again. Pull the DV+ out and give it a clean.

Nothing. Once I changed tuners absolutely perfect, so I'm certain it's a control issue.

Cool.

I went ahead and ordered the revD. I get compressor surge with the GFB DV+. Never had an issue until I went K04 (also got soft code).

I'm Unitronic for what it's worth. After digging through the official Unitronic thread on this forum, I see they recommend the revD.

SoWalGTI

Autocross Champion
CTS K04 with Unitronic Stage2+ tune.

Here is my problem.

1.) Pushing the car hard, shifts from 1-2 and 2-3 are perfect. When I go from 3-4 however, the car completely dies. When I say dies, I mean, ZERO throtte input and no boost. I can press the pedal to the floor and have no power. This ONLY happens when shifting under high boost from 3-4. After removing my foot from throttle and waiting a few seconds, Im able to regain throttle and build boost again.

2.) I can hear some compressor surge when going WOT in 4th gear. Don't hear it in any other gear but 4th and its during building boost (not to be confused with the pigeon sounds of the K04). To describe the surging sound, I'd say put your hand over your mouth and exhale as hard as you can while "pow wowing" with your hard. Definitely think this is surging.

I swapped out the GFB DV+ for a new RevD today, but problem persist. The above issues happen 100% of the time.

I'm going to post this in the official Unitronic thread too, in hopes that Jon chimes in, but wanted to give it a shot here.

Francoleon91

Autocross Newbie

Here is my problem.

1.) Pushing the car hard, shifts from 1-2 and 2-3 are perfect. When I go from 3-4 however, the car completely dies. When I say dies, I mean, ZERO throtte input and no boost. I can press the pedal to the floor and have no power. This ONLY happens when shifting under high boost from 3-4. After removing my foot from throttle and waiting a few seconds, Im able to regain throttle and build boost again.

2.) I can hear some compressor surge when going WOT in 4th gear. Don't hear it in any other gear but 4th and its during building boost (not to be confused with the pigeon sounds of the K04). To describe the surging sound, I'd say put your hand over your mouth and exhale as hard as you can while "pow wowing" with your hard. Definitely think this is surging.

I swapped out the GFB DV+ for a new RevD today, but problem persist. The above issues happen 100% of the time.

I'm going to post this in the official Unitronic thread too, in hopes that Jon chimes in, but wanted to give it a shot here.

I dont have a k04 but this happens to me on stage2.
It happens when i power shift, i read somewere that its meant to happen. Reasons are still unclear to me. Something to do with the clutch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SoWalGTI

Autocross Champion
I dont have a k04 but this happens to me on stage2.
It happens when i power shift, i read somewere that its meant to happen. Reasons are still unclear to me. Something to do with the clutch.

I've read some stuff about this for a few years back. Thing is, I have a Southbend Stage2 clutch, so its not slipping. I know what a slipping clutch feels like. This is totally different. Unitronic is looking into this for me, so I'll sure to follow up here with my solution once I have one.

To say "it just is" wont cut it. How would someone track this car? Or run their best quarter mile? Wouldnt be possible.

Francoleon91

Autocross Newbie
I've read some stuff about this for a few years back. Thing is, I have a Southbend Stage2 clutch, so its not slipping. I know what a slipping clutch feels like. This is totally different. Unitronic is looking into this for me, so I'll sure to follow up here with my solution once I have one.

To say "it just is" wont cut it. How would someone track this car? Or run their best quarter mile? Wouldnt be possible.

Its not the clutch slipping. The ecu cuts power to prevent that. That is what a read a while ago.

zrickety

The Fixer
Ecu does NOT prevent clutch slipping, not sure where you heard that.

Jlove8128

Ready to race!

Here is my problem.

Ok I had zero issues before, but a couple of weeks ago this exact issue started happening to me. Let me know if you find an answer. It scared the shit out of me the first time it happened.

zrickety

The Fixer
There are countless threads of tuned cars with slipping clutches. Ecu will prevent over revs past redline though, but a bad shift will override that (money shift) and hurt the motor. There are 'low torque' tunes that are supposed to help with slip but I'm not sure they are 100% effective.

Jlove8128

Ready to race!
I just talked to APR, and this is a know issue. The only solution is to have no lift shift. Unfortunately it's not readily available with the 3.1 software update. So they took my box code and are making it available to me. Should be a couple of weeks and I will see if it solves the issue. Sucks I was told they can't bypass the power cut, I can only assume it's to protect the company from people who can't drive their cars.

flakomk6

Ready to race!
OP, when choosing your turbo what were the main things that your were looking for ? What made you pick this one over the other ones ?

TSI_Guy

Go Kart Champion
OP, when choosing your turbo what were the main things that your were looking for ? What made you pick this one over the other ones ?

Bruh the OP isn't on this forum anymore lol this thread was started yeeears ago.

He even made a huge goodbye post in a separate thread. If you're looking for OEM reliability and low end tq, the K04 is your answer. If you're okay with ~340whp then K04 is your answer. If you want a simple bolt on solution for more power past stage2, the K04 is your answer.

What goals did you have in mind?

flakomk6

Ready to race!
Bruh the OP isn't on this forum anymore lol this thread was started yeeears ago.

He even made a huge goodbye post in a separate thread. If you're looking for OEM reliability and low end tq, the K04 is your answer. If you're okay with ~340whp then K04 is your answer. If you want a simple bolt on solution for more power past stage2, the K04 is your answer.

What goals did you have in mind?

Straight up posted it in the wrong thread Lmaoo [emoji23][emoji23] but Since you responded , the reason why I ask is because all my friends have speeds 3. And they all come with K04 from factory and the turbos suck. They upgrade to gt25r-30r so my self I was looking into something else that's not a k04. I wanted to know why a lot of people go the k04 route . Number wise I want to be around the 350 . That would be the number