GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread

spitcaustic

I've heard a lot about mildew growth in the A/C ducts. Anyway to avoid/slow that down? Will turning the heat on the warmest setting, fan speed high do it?
1. Kill baddies already inside your car
* Buy lysol or similar mildew cleaning product
* Full fan with AC turned off, windows rolled down, Air recirculation off
* Spray lysol into air vent outside near window wipers. Half driver side half passenger side.

* Buy smoke bomb like car vent cleaner
* Full fan with ac off, windows up, recirculation on
* Place under passenger footrest

2. Slow down regrowth
* After using AC, turn off AC before you get to your destination then use fan at full power until humidity fully evaporates (3~5minutes)

trev1342

Go Kart Champion
Turn the fan on high (fresh air setting), spray some Lysol down into the intake at the base of the windshield.

* Spray lysol into air vent outside near window wipers. Half driver side half passenger side.

2. Slow down regrowth
* After using AC, turn off AC before you get to your destination then use fan at full power until humidity fully evaporates (3~5minutes)

Thank you for the info. Will do when it starts to get really bad. Can't really notice it now.

gti330ex1

Ready to race!
Has anyone noticed or know exactly why there is no cold (cool) air blowing out of the vents when temps outside are chilly, 60s for example? I recently rented a charger and was surprised at how cold the air coming out of the vents was, with outside temps in the mid 80s. Just so there is no confusion, this was without AC.

spitcaustic

Has anyone noticed or know exactly why there is no cold (cool) air blowing out of the vents when temps outside are chilly, 60s for example? I recently rented a charger and was surprised at how cold the air coming out of the vents was, with outside temps in the mid 80s. Just so there is no confusion, this was without AC.
I am guessing here but:
Higher engine room ambient temperature due to the turbo, combined with less space between the vent and the heat source affecting the temperature of the air coming into the cabin.

Brunkel

Go Kart Champion

2. Slow down regrowth

I was just wondering about this. My AC smells bad every time it kicks in. My initial thought was the cabin filter too. When is that supposed to be replaced on the maintenance schedule? 40k service?

I'll have to try the Lysol technique. Any specific kind of Lysol spray? Aerosol?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

spitcaustic

I was just wondering about this. My AC smells bad every time it kicks in. My initial thought was the cabin filter too. When is that supposed to be replaced on the maintenance schedule? 40k service?

I'll have to try the Lysol technique. Any specific kind of Lysol spray? Aerosol?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Most of the stink is in the pipes and the works, not the filter. My car is just over 3 years old and it got somewhat bad this past summer. Drive thru a tunnel or basement with a lot of fungi and dont dry out the vent, the smell came right away.

We dont have lysol inmy country so I had to use something different but 2 cans of it got rid of most of the smell... I think u would find a video or two on Youtube. Try "car air vent stink".

If this doesnt work you could take into a shop to do the evaporator cleaning.

Jaber

Modero
Plac has a video on how to get rid of the smell.

Sent from my iSuperior, expect typos, mathematical errors and inaccuracy.

gti330ex1

Ready to race!
I am guessing here but:
Higher engine room ambient temperature due to the turbo, combined with less space between the vent and the heat source affecting the temperature of the air coming into the cabin.

Yea, I was thinking something along those lines too as everything is so cramped in. But then I thought there could be an underlining issue behind all of it, as that basic ventilation feature would otherwise be pointless. I think many just roll their windows down or put A/C on and don't even bother with just regular cool air coming in.

trev1342

Go Kart Champion