GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

UBER-STEALTH Under Floor Sub Install

veedoubleme

Go Kart Champion
That's pretty slick. I never bothered to document it, but I did solve the same issue, just differently. I just used blocks of hard foam that some server equipment shipped in (I work in IT).

Your install is nice and clean! Also, nice brace. :)

ka_kiluh

Ready to race!
Thanks! Hopefully I can wire everything up tonight and at least get some sound out of it. My LC2i should get delivered to work sometime today, so that will be my motivating force! :)

veedoubleme

Go Kart Champion
Update... After less than 1 year of service, my MB Quart sub blew out yesterday. :thumbdown:

I just ordered the Pioneer TS-SW2501S2 as a replacement.

It'll probably be 2 weeks before I put it in, but I'll post my thoughts on which I think sounds better.

Skirball

Ready to race!
Update... After less than 1 year of service, my MB Quart sub blew out yesterday. :thumbdown:

I just ordered the Pioneer TS-SW2501S2 as a replacement.

It'll probably be 2 weeks before I put it in, but I'll post my thoughts on which I think sounds better.

Sorry to hear that, though I couldn't figure out why some of ours blew out right away and others seemed to have no problem. I was just getting flamed on Amazon the other day by some MB Quart fanboys after I posted up my experience and suggested that the MB Quart has some QC issues.

I've been happy with the Pioneer, but it has one issue: there's a lot more travel than the MB Quart and it will hit my flooring if I don't put a spacer in. I never had that problem with the MBQ.

db252

vee,

Thanks for all the detailed work in the posting. Just ordered my box from Nik and await its arrival which is probably another two weeks. If you could, please post your amp and lc2i setting changes with the Pioneer sub if you can. I'm pretty much copying your install although I did order the Pioneer sub that you just ordered already. I have everything except the box so I'm sure I'll start the wiring just as you did here in a couple of days. Thanks again.

ka_kiluh

Ready to race!
Definitely a helpful thread, I wouldn't have known where to tap into everything without it. I tapped into the speaker wires at the factory amp under the drivers seat so that I would only need to pull up the trim on the drivers side instead of both sides. My LC2i install came out pretty neat, I soldered into the 12v outlet in the trunk for power and ground. I need to route the wiring down a little bit more so it's not visible:

dan338

First off, great thread. This will be very helpful when I start my install. Second off, has anyone tried the HELIX Esprit E10W sub? Like the fact its a 2ohm dual VC.

Thanks
Dan

veedoubleme

Go Kart Champion
UPDATE: The Pioneer is installed.

Okay, I've been listening to the MB Quart for about 10 months, so I feel I'm quite qualified to give a solid opinion on which sounds better in our cars. I've been really pleased with the MB Quart. You can read over this thread to see how happy I've been with it. It was a solid choice, and I was bummed when it died.

Well... not any more. The Pioneer blows it out of the water. It's honestly a bit shocking how much deeper and harder the Pioneer hits. Aside from being a little larger, it also weighs about twice as much, so that probably has a bit to do with it. I'm now bummed that I didn't get the Pioneer to begin with. It's so much better. Also, it's not just high volume where it's better. It has more presence at moderate listening levels as well. I'm very happy.

Technical details: My settings are identical. I didn't touch a thing. I did have to open up the hole in the box with a jig saw to fit it in the smaller MB Quart hole. It only took about 5 minutes and was quite easy. That's it.

db252

Thanks for the update. I have everything but the box so I'll be doing all the wiring this Friday so it's ready. Also pleased to hear that your happier with the Pioneer since that is what I'm using as well and the box will already be precut for it. Here's hoping everything goes well. I added the oem rear view camera some time ago and now I'm wishing I did the sub wiring then.

swervinVI

Ready to race!
I really liked your bass knob placement, so I did the same in my car. Thanks for the idea!

Sent from that Galaxy Note II using Tapatalk

db252

Just finished up everything other than the actual sub install because the box is still getting finished up from Nik. Pretty much a copy of veedoubleme's set up although I lined my amp board with trunk carpet and made an acrylic cover for the trunk support as you can see. I want to clean up the edge of the foam where the tools are held so I'm still thinking about that. Thanks again veedoubleme for the guidance.

barnes93cb

Go Kart Champion
I have a few questions. I am planning to purchase a Rockford PBR300X1 amp and Pioneer TSSW251 10" 800W Shallow Mount sub. I also want to buy Nik's sub box also. I believe that I have a blown front speaker. So I will be replacing my fronts and the tweeters also. I plan to keep my stock head unit.

My questions are: Will I need to purchase the LC2i loc? If I replace my front speakers will I have to tie them into the AMP? And if so will that amp work to power the sub and the front speakers?

Johnny Two Tone

Ready to race!
I have a few questions. I am planning to purchase a Rockford PBR300X1 amp and Pioneer TSSW251 10" 800W Shallow Mount sub. I also want to buy Nik's sub box also. I believe that I have a blown front speaker. So I will be replacing my fronts and the tweeters also. I plan to keep my stock head unit.

My questions are: Will I need to purchase the LC2i loc? If I replace my front speakers will I have to tie them into the AMP? And if so will that amp work to power the sub and the front speakers?

If you want a sub then, yes, you will need it to be powered by an amp, but you can buy a mono amp for that and just keep the new speakers on the stock wiring. That's not the preferred method, of course. Everyone want their new speakers to be amplified to get the most out of them. To power new front woofers/tweeters and the sub you will need either a 4 channel amp with passive cross-overs for the front components or a 5-channel amp for an active front setup and the sub.

If you are going to keep the stock HU you will need either a LOC or a processor OR get an amp that has high-level inputs with a current sensing turn on function (that's really important). The easiest method is to just buy the LC2i, like everyone else. The best method is the processor - but that's also the most expensive method.

barnes93cb

Go Kart Champion
If you want a sub then, yes, you will need it to be powered by an amp, but you can buy a mono amp for that and just keep the new speakers on the stock wiring. That's not the preferred method, of course. Everyone want their new speakers to be amplified to get the most out of them. To power new front woofers/tweeters and the sub you will need either a 4 channel amp with passive cross-overs for the front components or a 5-channel amp for an active front setup and the sub.

If you are going to keep the stock HU you will need either a LOC or a processor OR get an amp that has high-level inputs with a current sensing turn on function (that's really important). The easiest method is to just buy the LC2i, like everyone else. The best method is the processor - but that's also the most expensive method.

Thank you for the response. I knew that the sub and amp were necessary. But I was unsure if I needed to tie the speakers into the amp also. It looks like I will be needing a different amp in order to tie the speakers into the system. Also upon further reading I agree that the LC2i is key in quality sound. I will be getting one of those as well.

Does anyone have a recommendation on a 4 channel amp that would work for this setup? Would the Rockford PBR300X4 amp still be able to power the sub and the additional speakers?

ToMMyGuN

Go Kart Champion
And here you go, a fully usable no compromise trunk that contains a 10" 300W sub. :thumbsup:

veedoubleme - did you put the velcro mat over the stock carpeted mat (the one that comes in every mk6), or did you just put in the velcro mat w/ nothing under it? Any difference in sound from either of these options? Also, any sound differences with the security cover (on the hatch, the part that covers the "trunk") in place vs. not?

I am gearing up to follow your install; it is IMO the best DIY with the best setup (especially the amp rack w/ LCi2, very interesting findings, and I believe them too because you provided data!). I have the box, the sub, and the amp, and I am assembling everything else. I am going to knockout the climatic upgrade and integrate a garage door opener into the coin tray buttons while I am at it (and maybe a backup cam). Should be an interesting weekend project.

Thanks for the write-up!