GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Unitronic Stage 2+(K04) Impressions

vwgti2.0t

Go Kart Champion
apr just dropped their advertised peak ko4 hp/tq #'s........

Which are still more than Unitronics numbers anyway aren't they? In reality, most of the numbers anyone claims are off anyway. I mean, I dyno'ed 301whp and 302wtq on a mustang dyno that the shop said reads 10% off of any other dynojet in the area on APR v2. Either way, I would like to see some direct dyno comparisons, but it'll probably never happen.

One other thing I have issues with, is I've heard/seen mixed feedback on Uni. EVERYONE on these forums has had great luck with them, but I've seen my friend have NOTHING but bad luck and awful service. He has a BT 1.8t and everytime he tried to get a tune it's not ready, they are working on it, they don't have time to upload it, BS BS BS. He left his car at a shop last week, went on a work trip and through the weekend and went to pick it up yesterday and it still wasn't ready. And it wasn't like it was a huge task either, it was getting the car tuned for an R32 throttle body. Being that the 1.8t has been around since 1998 and there are probably hundreds (if not thousands) of people running bigger throttle bodies on those motors, I don't get what the issue is. BTW this is the second or third time he has tried to get a tune for this and it still hasn't happened. I was even with him and waterfest 2 years ago and we talked directly to the Uni booth, they took his information, and it's still not done. THIS is one of two (if it actually makes more power) I haven't switched yet.

FWIW I asked and he did say his tuner was talking with John, which really confused me since everyone here has such great luck with him :iono:

mdhollis

Go Kart Champion
^That sucks man I hope your friend gets everything taken care of.

When it comes to these advertised numbers I don't trust any of them. Most K04's are around 300whp on pump gas from the dyno's members have done around here. I just know with the UNI tune, boost is linear and I don't pull timing anymore. My car is faster for sure

allset

Go Kart Champion
Which are still more than Unitronics numbers anyway aren't they? In reality, most of the numbers anyone claims are off anyway. I mean, I dyno'ed 301whp and 302wtq on a mustang dyno that the shop said reads 10% off of any other dynojet in the area on APR v2. Either way, I would like to see some direct dyno comparisons, but it'll probably never happen.

One other thing I have issues with, is I've heard/seen mixed feedback on Uni. EVERYONE on these forums has had great luck with them, but I've seen my friend have NOTHING but bad luck and awful service. He has a BT 1.8t and everytime he tried to get a tune it's not ready, they are working on it, they don't have time to upload it, BS BS BS. He left his car at a shop last week, went on a work trip and through the weekend and went to pick it up yesterday and it still wasn't ready. And it wasn't like it was a huge task either, it was getting the car tuned for an R32 throttle body. Being that the 1.8t has been around since 1998 and there are probably hundreds (if not thousands) of people running bigger throttle bodies on those motors, I don't get what the issue is. BTW this is the second or third time he has tried to get a tune for this and it still hasn't happened. I was even with him and waterfest 2 years ago and we talked directly to the Uni booth, they took his information, and it's still not done. THIS is one of two (if it actually makes more power) I haven't switched yet.

FWIW I asked and he did say his tuner was talking with John, which really confused me since everyone here has such great luck with him :iono:

point is i assume all tuners either juiced the advertised #'s or its related to the dyno , test cars bolt ons, etc. I would think the way to do it is test several and take an average. maybe they do. Its marketing, peak # mean nothing to me but ALOT base their tuner choices on them. Im more concerned with overall performance and useable response and power.

Every car is different, with different issues; your friends car could have a bizarre issue or mulitple interconnected issues; no idea. My situation is a perfect example of that.

allset

Go Kart Champion
And the fact that UNi has a lower advertised peak hp/tq and feels much faster IMO shows accuracy and honesty

lamb110

Go Kart Champion
apr just dropped their advertised peak ko4 hp/tq #'s........
That's because they knew their old numbers were BS. I dont know of one person who dyno'd what they advertised.

allset

Go Kart Champion

stockton2007

Go Kart Champion
When did you get the UNI tune? John checked yesterday for me and said they have the most updated file in their database. Maybe it was literally, just updated or maybe just a different ECU ID.

Difference ECU or could have been a delay getting uploaded to the databse or something. Who knows. I was tuned in January and there was an update since then so i'll be going back as well..

allset

Go Kart Champion
That's because they knew their old numbers were BS. I dont know of one person who dyno'd what they advertised.

yeah most ko4 with full bolts are around 295-310 whp
366 crank seemed high

stockton2007

Go Kart Champion
peaks are great for comparing numbers but smooth long power is more important for actually being faster ; )

Dyno yours and you will see how smooth it is, but you can probably already tell by just driving it.

This. ^

I don't think we have seen a dyno from Uni's k04 tune. To be honest, it will probably fall right in line with most other k04's, about 300whp, maybe a little more tq. But to JR's point, when dynos start coming out, compare the whole graph, peak is only one part of comparing output. Also, keep in mind that the highest spike of psi i've ever seen on my uni tune is about 20.5, maybe 21 where others have seen 24+ from other company's tune. Not saying one is better or worse, but something to have in mind when the graphs are being comapred.

I will state the power is VERY smooth and its there. No regrets going with Uni. Can't compare as i have not been in any other company's tuned car though.

kern417

Go Kart Champion
spring time should mean dyno days are right around the corner. i had an opportunity to hop on one for $40 but it rained and they cancelled the event :(

KaJ

Ready to race!
One of you who switched should go dyno the Uni tune vs APR v2.0, that's the best comparison you could get if you ran it on the same day. I might do it if I switch over.

mdhollis

Go Kart Champion
One of you who switched should go dyno the Uni tune vs APR v2.0, that's the best comparison you could get if you ran it on the same day. I might do it if I switch over.

Do you think there would be an issue with the 2nd tune you run? Sometimes it takes a day for everything to calibrate after the flash. I would love to see the results though. Would be awesome to do that with all 3 tuners, same exact car and hardware. It would cut through all the bs