GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Unitronic Stage 2+(K04) Impressions

KaJ

Ready to race!
So surging is good, and more boost to aid in surging. Overboosting is good. Got it.

2-3 more hp down low is hardly something to speak about.

He pulled timing will on DPI meth with that log. God knows what he was pulling if he didnt have knock protection

My logs look pretty much the same as his on 91 octane, but I figure timing under -6 is just fine. My biggest issue with the APR tune right now is the misfires at idle and cruising around town. I could care less if Unitronic made a few HP less if it doesn't misfire.

allset

Go Kart Champion
It isn't surging, if it was surging, boost would get clipped which it isn't.

It's a lot more torque and it's a much quicker delivery, it is not 2-3 horsepower. I do not see a car that is overboosting either, it is staying within the map limit of 2550 mbar. An overboost condition would show up with the N75, which it isn't. It is steady throughout the pull. Even if it exceeds the map, that is still not overboosting, tunes exceed the map limit all of the time there are ways of calibrating around it.

It's showing faster spool, more boost, more peak air and only -2.25 timing correction. I do not know the particulars of the meth kit, I'm not going to pretend to. I do know however you spin it, the APR tune is showing more power via the MAF. MAF values can be compared if it is in a comparison to the same car, it is evident in the logs why it is pulling more peak air mass too.

Everything you've stated incorrectly so far, are things that are common knowledge for calibrating this platform.

I'm not going to pretend to know more about the particulars of this aspect of tuning than u or U-20t. what i do know is all that correction of over boosting and n75 actuation causes alot of hesitation and noises. I know what the noises are but many don't and interpret it as an issue.

Ive have now personally driven both tunes on an identical car (have you?)and IMO the UNI tune delivers the power in a much better way. like Ive said before peak #'s mean shit to me. i want usable, consistent performance.

U-20T

Go Kart Champion
It isn't surging, if it was surging, boost would get clipped which it isn't.

It's a lot more torque and it's a much quicker delivery, it is not 2-3 horsepower. I do not see a car that is overboosting either, it is staying within the map limit of 2550 mbar. An overboost condition would show up with the N75, which it isn't. It is steady throughout the pull. Even if it exceeds the map, that is still not overboosting, tunes exceed the map limit all of the time there are ways of calibrating around it.

It's showing faster spool, more boost, more peak air and only -2.25 timing correction. I do not know the particulars of the meth kit, I'm not going to pretend to. I do know however you spin it, the APR tune is showing more power via the MAF. MAF values can be compared if it is in a comparison to the same car, it is evident in the logs why it is pulling more peak air mass too.

Everything you've stated incorrectly so far, are things that are common knowledge for calibrating this platform.

The MAF is no higher in the end, the Uni logs were let off earlier than the previous file he was using.

Map limit is above 2550, vagcom just cant read above it, so if he was over 2550 which he could have been (not saying he was since I do not have a boost gauge on his car to me , lol) his graphs would show even more variance. Plus there are alot of posts one here that guys spike to ~24psi which is above the MAP read value in vagcom so you cant see it, but if the logs show 2550 for a few hundred rpm then bingo even higher

Map on the TSI can read 2 bar to the ECU

Last edited:

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Why the hell is there always conspiracy and speculation and arguments behind every piece of data that is posted? I come on here to read about interesting things and technical details about every aspect of our vehicles. I dont give a shit about tuner politics, I dont care who works for who, I dont care about a chinese supplier, I dont care about the bullshit drama that is ALWAYS ARGUED on these forums. Not only that, its the same people often times.

Its nice to see Unitronic data. Its nice to see APR data. Its nice to see any kind of data. Its the same car, so its even nicer to have a relative comparison. Its not nice to see another thread about to get locked, again for the same reasons

allset

Go Kart Champion
Why the hell is there always conspiracy and speculation and arguments behind every piece of data that is posted? I come on here to read about interesting things and technical details about every aspect of our vehicles. I dont give a shit about tuner politics, I dont care who works for who, I dont care about a chinese supplier, I dont care about the bullshit drama that is ALWAYS ARGUED on these forums. Not only that, its the same people often times.

Its nice to see Unitronic data. Its nice to see APR data. Its nice to see any kind of data. Its the same car, so its even nicer to have a relative comparison. Its not nice to see another thread about to get locked, again for the same reasons.

:word:

B

Bronson@APR

The MAF is no higher in the end, the Uni logs were let off earlier than the previous file he was using.

Map limit is above 2550, vagcom just can read above it, so if he was over 2550 which he could have been (not saying he was since I do not have a boost gauge on his car to me , lol) his graphs would show even more variance. Plus there are alot of post one here that guys spike to ~24psi which is above the MAP read value in vagcom so you can see it, but if the logs show 2550 for a few hundred rpm then bingo even higher

Yeah, nvm.

allset

Go Kart Champion
some want this thread locked, please remember that.

chrisisnapping

Go Kart Champion

Its nice to see Unitronic data. Its nice to see APR data. Its nice to see any kind of data. Its the same car, so its even nicer to have a relative comparison. Its not nice to see another thread about to get locked, again for the same reasons

welcome to the world of marketing. APR is always going to defend their products, unitronic will defend theirs and so on and so forth. Having Tuning Companies that are highly active on the forum can be a double edged sword sometimes.

This is why we can't have nice things. Person A has a long standing problem. Person A Changes part B from company x to company Y and the problem is solved and Person A is happy. But hey, let's just spark a tuner war and close the thread so in 5 months when someone is googling their issue and want to post here they can't. Unfortunately consumers are just as guilty as the companies in this aspect.

B

Bronson@APR

If you're referencing me, I do not want it to be locked. I just want the data to be posted on the same scaling. I think this sharing of data is a positive thing.

The only reason I replied at all is because of how it was originally posted, it was skewed and I think any comparison should be on equal grounds.

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
welcome to the world of marketing. APR is always going to defend their products, unitronic will defend theirs and so on and so forth. Having Tuning Companies that are highly active on the forum can be a double edged sword sometimes.

This is no first to me. I've seen it since I've been around the VW scene back in 2005.

Its all a conspiracy. its all a game. Its all a matter of "in the know" and "secretive" stuff.

Its modding a car. Its not rocket science.

KaJ

Ready to race!
If you're referencing me, I do not want it to be locked. I just want the data to be posted on the same scaling. I think this sharing of data is a positive thing.

The only reason I replied at all is because of how it was originally posted, it was skewed and I think any comparison should be on equal grounds.

I think it would be nice to see both tunes overlapped on the same scale (perhaps APR solid, Unitronic dotted). You can't really compare the logs 1 to 1 since they were ran at different times, but still nice to see nonetheless.

Bronson, I think the main reason a few people have switched is because APR does have a misfire issue at idle/crusing speeds (for a few of us at least). We want to see what exactly is different between these two tunes, and that is why I am interested in seeing these logs.

mdhollis

Go Kart Champion