GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

WASHER FLUID LIGHT WONT GO OFF!!!!

Norsk

Go Kart Champion
Fuk. What do I do w/ all these gallons of Rainx?

Pour it in your parents' and stick with blue stuff from now.

My service advisor said it will be covered under warranty.

You should email your advisor and tell him your situation.

lilfleck

Go Kart Champion
I mean... could it be a crappy sensor design or is it truly the rain x? Don't you think this would be a wider spread issue w/ all vehicles w/ washer fluid sensors?

beantown53

Ready to race!
Let think about this.

1) Rain-X makes the water bead up and not cling to the windshield.

2) The sensor needs the water to determine the fluid level.

To me, that sounds like conflicting goals.

My question is did they change the formula?

Delta501

Passed Driver's Ed
Confirmed, its the rainx. My girlfriends Jetta light just came on and was filled with the rainx, also my coworkers eos had the light come on too (rainx as well). I asked the dealer how much to replace, he said about $140, and the part only being $30. I bought the part and will be putting it in myself this weekend. No way am I paying $140 for a sensor.

Norsk

Go Kart Champion
Let think about this.

1) Rain-X makes the water bead up and not cling to the windshield.

2) The sensor needs the water to determine the fluid level.

To me, that sounds like conflicting goals.

My question is did they change the formula?

Yea, I agree with you. Sticking with blue stuff from now on.

ReznorsApostle

Ready to race!
Just put 1/4 of a bottle of the orange stuff in the GTI and the rest in the Jetta. Read this thread right after. Won't be able to sleep well tonight

Norsk

Go Kart Champion
From my Service manager:

Good Morning Greg,
I was just talking with a couple service managers from our local area dealers and across the board everybody has seen issues with the washer fluid level sensor. After gathering information we found the tanks were filled with Rain-X fluid. Something with that particular fluid does not allow the sensor to read properly. Once we replace your sensor (and we will replace under warranty this time) I would advise you not to use the Rain-X fluid to prevent this.

This is the first year I've seen such and abundance of this same concern. We actually have 2 vehicle here today for this and one schedule for tomorrow

Another email just recently now:
Sorry for the multiple emails but my Parts Manager just informed me that Volkswagen is releasing the washer sensors after a case is open with Volkswagen technical Assistance. In order to open a case we will need the vehicle here and retrieve exact miles and scan tool log in. I'm not sure what they are changing with the order process so I do not have an exact ETA of when parts will be shipped to us. I will keep you posted once the vehicle is here.

Last edited:

decapitor

Passed Driver's Ed
count me in as a victim

2011 GTI here, have been putting blue stuff in in the summer and orange in the winter for 3 years without an issue but after using the orange stuff this year for a couple months the washer fluid light won't go off. I'm out of warranty and definitely don't care enough to spend any money fixing it other than turning it off completely with vcds. Anyone know how to do that?

erikras

Ready to race!
Just had my light come on this morning on my way to work. Had filled up with the older Rain-X back in November. Put my first gallon of the newer darker stuff in on 2/16. So 8 days to destroy the sensor. Wonderful.

I'm half tempted to take the unopened gallon I still have back to Auto Zone and tell them what happened and see if they'll exchange it for Prestone or something.

Norsk

Go Kart Champion
Dropped off the Golf TDI at the dealership today. They tried to mix hot water with salts and pour it into the reservoir then fill it up with VW's blue washer fluid to see if the light go away.

Nope, it didnt go away. Ended up with 2014 Nissan Altima.

nicolasl46

Go Kart Champion
Count me in too. My GLI started acting up after I added a whole gallon of winter rain-x. At first I thought it was because I let the bottle run on empty for a few days, and thought that probably ruined the sensor, but after finding this thread I'm glad to know I'm not the only one. Now, one thing I noticed is that my problem is intermittent, it comes and goes away. Hopefully I can get the dealer replace it in my next scheduled maintenance.

lilfleck

Go Kart Champion
This is interesting...

http://southwinltd.com/

zrickety

The Fixer
Put a jumper on the plug, problem solved. Not like you can't tell when it's out of fluid...