GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Blew my first coilpack today at the track

svickstc

Go Kart Champion
Can I use the R8 coilpacks on Stage 2?

Yes, yes, and yes to all the people who asked about stage 2 and these coil packs, mise well throw these in their over stock coil packs if upgrading anyway...

I know i will once i get something goofy going on or hit the mileage i want to replace at...

Stage 1 apr btw here

HSTuning

Ready to race!
I should probably clear up a few things about these coil packs, we've had a ton of questions lately! Here is what we've found so far with our bench ( oscilloscope ) testing.

1) These coils can be used on your FSI/TSI engine at ANY level of modification. They function just as well on a dead stock car as a highly modified one.

2) They are NOT the same coils with red housings. The secondary circuit on the R8 coils has a higher resistance (more windings) than the stock coils. In fact the secondary circuits were slightly closer to the Okadas we tested than the secondary of the stock coils.

3) We tested these between 12 and 16 volts (remember if your alternator is charging properly the input will be right around 14). We tested them between 200 and 16,000rpm. The stock coils started to misfire at a much lower rpm than the R8's with a stock spark plug gapped @ .032".

4) The spark was visibly brighter and more intense on the R8's when compared to the stock coils @ every rpm we compared in the stock rev range. We didn't compare anything under 1,000rpm.

5) We were able to open the gap on the plugs much further with the R8's than the stock plug with out misfiring at the same rpm/voltage.

We've been so insanely busy lately we haven't had time to do more testing, but I'm sure we will as soon as we get a chance.

P

plac

great info. if i hadnt just bought new stockers last month i'd buy these without even thinking.

TXBDan

Go Kart Champion
I should probably clear up a few things about these coil packs, we've had a ton of questions lately! Here is what we've found so far with our bench ( oscilloscope ) testing.

1) These coils can be used on your FSI/TSI engine at ANY level of modification. They function just as well on a dead stock car as a highly modified one.

2) They are NOT the same coils with red housings. The secondary circuit on the R8 coils has a higher resistance (more windings) than the stock coils. In fact the secondary circuits were slightly closer to the Okadas we tested than the secondary of the stock coils.

3) We tested these between 12 and 16 volts (remember if your alternator is charging properly the input will be right around 14). We tested them between 200 and 16,000rpm. The stock coils started to misfire at a much lower rpm than the R8's with a stock spark plug gapped @ .032".

4) The spark was visibly brighter and more intense on the R8's when compared to the stock coils @ every rpm we compared in the stock rev range. We didn't compare anything under 1,000rpm.

5) We were able to open the gap on the plugs much further with the R8's than the stock plug with out misfiring at the same rpm/voltage.

We've been so insanely busy lately we haven't had time to do more testing, but I'm sure we will as soon as we get a chance.

I appreciate your diligence in testing and chiming in here. Order placed!

HSTuning

Ready to race!
I appreciate your diligence in testing and chiming in here. Order placed!

Thanks! We've been testing a lot of things lately. Look for a comprehensive thread of what we've found for the MK6 chassis and TSI engines in the near future.

AF-MKVI

Go Kart Champion
Time for a tune up :) Ordered mine last night, just because I want to be able to say my car is .000001% Audi R8

rawbdog

Go Kart Champion
im glad i don't have to worry about plugs, wires, and packs. just everything else haha.

jmnj

Ready to race!

Just ordered!!!:D Thank you so much for posting this. This answers questions that have been lingering around for a while. Much appreciated!

Thanks! We've been testing a lot of things lately. Look for a comprehensive thread of what we've found for the MK6 chassis and TSI engines in the near future.

Please, please by all means keep testing. The more testing the better:thumbsup: