GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Blew my first coilpack today at the track

yoffer

Go Kart Newbie
So has this been isolated to the pre-2012 models?

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
I should probably clear up a few things about these coil packs, we've had a ton of questions lately! Here is what we've found so far with our bench ( oscilloscope ) testing.

1) These coils can be used on your FSI/TSI engine at ANY level of modification. They function just as well on a dead stock car as a highly modified one.

2) They are NOT the same coils with red housings. The secondary circuit on the R8 coils has a higher resistance (more windings) than the stock coils. In fact the secondary circuits were slightly closer to the Okadas we tested than the secondary of the stock coils.

3) We tested these between 12 and 16 volts (remember if your alternator is charging properly the input will be right around 14). We tested them between 200 and 16,000rpm. The stock coils started to misfire at a much lower rpm than the R8's with a stock spark plug gapped @ .032".

4) The spark was visibly brighter and more intense on the R8's when compared to the stock coils @ every rpm we compared in the stock rev range. We didn't compare anything under 1,000rpm.

5) We were able to open the gap on the plugs much further with the R8's than the stock plug with out misfiring at the same rpm/voltage.

We've been so insanely busy lately we haven't had time to do more testing, but I'm sure we will as soon as we get a chance.

Dave, great info, thank you. What plugs do you recommend and have you seen any of these R8 coilpacks fail on the 2.0's yet?

Aries Pope

Ready to race!
I should probably clear up a few things about these coil packs, we've had a ton of questions lately! Here is what we've found so far with our bench ( oscilloscope ) testing.

1) These coils can be used on your FSI/TSI engine at ANY level of modification. They function just as well on a dead stock car as a highly modified one.

2) They are NOT the same coils with red housings. The secondary circuit on the R8 coils has a higher resistance (more windings) than the stock coils. In fact the secondary circuits were slightly closer to the Okadas we tested than the secondary of the stock coils.

3) We tested these between 12 and 16 volts (remember if your alternator is charging properly the input will be right around 14). We tested them between 200 and 16,000rpm. The stock coils started to misfire at a much lower rpm than the R8's with a stock spark plug gapped @ .032".

4) The spark was visibly brighter and more intense on the R8's when compared to the stock coils @ every rpm we compared in the stock rev range. We didn't compare anything under 1,000rpm.

5) We were able to open the gap on the plugs much further with the R8's than the stock plug with out misfiring at the same rpm/voltage.

We've been so insanely busy lately we haven't had time to do more testing, but I'm sure we will as soon as we get a chance.

Wow, actual data! Thanks, Dave! I ordered some from y'all a few days ago and then was wondering if I shoulda got some F revs. Good to know these seem to test better than the normal OEM. Can't wait to get them, I got some NGK laser platinum plugs and waiting for the coilpacks to show up so I can put them all in. Had a few mild misfires in the K04 so far and hoping this will clear it up.

Plus, red and R8. So 3-5hp right there.

Great price on these too!

HYDE161

Go Kart Champion
Allset, you may want to update your coil pack thread with this option.

If the secondary circuit on the R8 coils has a higher resistance (more windings) than the stock coils and are slightly closer to the Okadas that HS Tuning tested, then this would be a no brainer for people who want the advertised performance of the Okadas for MUCHHHHHH less.

http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44645

Can anyone recommend a better spark plug from stock to mate these to? I am APR 2+ currently.

To keep this thread on the coil pack topic and not the spark plug topic, this thread will answer your Stage 1 / Stage 2 / BT (K04 or other) spark plug choice options: http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32176

PandaGTI

Go Kart Champion
Now I'm tempted to get a set especially if performance/ durability is similar to the uber expensive Okada's for much cheaper... hmmm

HYDE161

Go Kart Champion
Hey Dave,

I'm assuming your moving from an older part number plastic shaft coil pack to the latest revised VW/Audi stainless steel shaft coil packs so that may be the reason for the additional windings/resistance. These coil packs are listed for multiple Audi/VW applications so they aren't really a more powerful coil pack for the R8, they should be the latest revision in the endless coil pack progression.

Red coil packs = part # 06E905115E
http://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-Golf_VI--2.0T/Search/06E905115E/ES281014/

Black coil packs = part # 07K905715F
http://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-Golf_VI--2.0T/Engine/Ignition/ES260102/

I believe these red coil packs are comparable to the latest SS shaft coil packs I have installed in my car and so far I have not had any misfires or issues. At your $16 per coil pack price, that's too good of a deal to pass up but my one question is, wouldn't the part number ending in F above (black coil pack) be the latest revision compared to the part number ending in E above (red coil pack)?

SkullV

Thunderbunny.....
Interesting question, I have 4 of the F sitting here brand new but were about to buy a set of these from HStuning.

HYDE161

Go Kart Champion
Interesting question, I have 4 of the F sitting here brand new but were about to buy a set of these from HStuning.

I know some VW/Audi part numbers go in reverse order so it could be that the G (red coil pack) could be newer than the F (black coil pack).

BAM its mitch

Go Kart Champion
Hey Dave,

I'm assuming your moving from an older part number plastic shaft coil pack to the latest revised VW/Audi stainless steel shaft coil packs so that may be the reason for the additional windings/resistance. These coil packs are listed for multiple Audi/VW applications so they aren't really a more powerful coil pack for the R8, they should be the latest revision in the endless coil pack progression.

Red coil packs = part # 06E905115E
http://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-Golf_VI--2.0T/Search/06E905115E/ES281014/

Black coil packs = part # 07K905715F
http://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-Golf_VI--2.0T/Engine/Ignition/ES260102/

I believe these red coil packs are comparable to the latest SS shaft coil packs I have installed in my car and so far I have not had any misfires or issues. At your $16 per coil pack price, that's too good of a deal to pass up but my one question is, wouldn't the part number ending in F above (black coil pack) be the latest revision compared to the part number ending in E above (red coil pack)?

Those part numbers don't match AT ALL, that leads me to believe they aren't different revisions of the same coilpack.

HSTuning

Ready to race!
Dave, great info, thank you. What plugs do you recommend and have you seen any of these R8 coilpacks fail on the 2.0's yet?

We haven't seen a failure in the TSI's yet, but we having really just been upgrading as K04's are installed or the stock parts failed. We are still on the stock coils with the 500hp car and Jeff's APR Stage 2 car. The 500hp car has 15,000+ miles as big turbo and the Stage 2 car is over 40,000 miles with the originals (believe me, the Stage 2 gets abused). For some reason we don't seem to have the failures others do. In fact, our 500hp car is still on the original diaphragm diverter valve. I don't expect to start seeing failures with the R8's for a while. We expect it to happen, we just don't know when. We started installing them because they were:

1) Cheaper than stock
2) Red, so they obviously make the car 1,000,000x faster
3) Tested not to misfire at high load/rpm as much and we assumed that most of our K04/Stage3 customers would spend more time at high load/rpm :D

As far as plugs go, this is what we've been doing with good results:

APR Stage 1 through Stage 2+:
PFR7S8EG Iridium (1675) (stock plug gapped at 0.032”):
BKR7EIX Iridium (2667) (iridium version of the stock plug gapped at 0.032”):

APR K04 & Stage 3 kits:
PFR7B Double Platinum (4853) (gapped at 0.028”):
PFR7Q Laser Platinum (7963) (gapped at 0.028”):

APR Stage 3+
BKR8EIX Iridium

When we get a chance we want to try to open are plug gaps up in our cars to see if we can get away with it on the R8's. Results to come...

HSTuning

Ready to race!
Those part numbers don't match AT ALL, that leads me to believe they aren't different revisions of the same coilpack.

Hyde,

Those are the coil packs that were originally intended for the 5 cylinder engines.

Here is what we were finding as an AVERAGE on the secondary circuit for each of the coils.

Stock: 3.3 M ohms

5 cylinder coils: 4.75 M ohms

R8's: 5.31 M ohms

Okadas: 6.2 M ohms

P

plac

Hyde,

Those are the coil packs that were originally intended for the 5 cylinder engines.

Here is what we were finding as an AVERAGE on the secondary circuit for each of the coils.

Stock: 3.3 M ohms

5 cylinder coils: 4.75 M ohms

R8's: 5.31 M ohms

Okadas: 6.2 M ohms

maybe ill measure the ones i got a few weeks ago just for fun. no idea what the part number even was.