GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

SPM Intercooler Technical Review (Other IC Discussion)

MKV727

Go Kart Champion
Saw something VERY interesting today at our dyno day. We got to see a K04 GTI with an APR intercooler heat soak after one dyno run while a Stage 2 GTI that ran a couple weeks ago in much warmer weather was 100% consistant with no heat soak after 3 pulls.

I know it's comparing a K04 to a Stage 2, but the boost pressures are the same and I thought it was pretty interesting.

What's heat soak? I consider heat soak a delta of 7*C+ from beginning to end of pull.

SkullV

Thunderbunny.....
pressure is the same but volume is higher on the K04 I think. So would stand to reason that heat would be higher as well.

No doubt, just thought it was interesting.

lamb110

Go Kart Champion
Saw something VERY interesting today at our dyno day. We got to see a K04 GTI with an APR intercooler heat soak after one dyno run while a Stage 2 GTI that ran a couple weeks ago in much warmer weather was 100% consistant with no heat soak after 3 pulls.

I know it's comparing a K04 to a Stage 2, but the boost pressures are the same and I thought it was pretty interesting.
Pretty sure you're either fanboying it up for SPM or trolling but here's my numbers on the exact same dyno:

Run 1: 307.6hp / 313.4tq
Run 3: 307.5hp / 311.2tq

What heat soak are you talking about?

SkullV

Thunderbunny.....
Pretty sure you're either fanboying it up for SPM or trolling but here's my numbers on the exact same dyno:

What heat soak are you talking about?

Not talking about your car. But when Kurt and I watched the three pulls we said the same thing. Heat soak. It's not a big deal. Not like a car sitting still with a fan blowing on it is a real indication of performance.

It's ok, your $1000+ intercooler works fine.

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Pretty damn consistent there

SkullV

Thunderbunny.....
This is fun. :)

lamb110

Go Kart Champion
Not talking about your car. But when Kurt and I watched the three pulls we said the same thing. Heat soak. It's not a big deal. Not like a car sitting still with a fan blowing on it is a real indication of performance.

It's ok, your $1000+ intercooler works fine.
You wanna see heat soak?
Before the intercooler (and clutch):
First run: 281.1hp / 301.2tq
Third run: 271.6hp / 292.8

Have you installed your intercooler yet?

Pretty damn consistent there
Damn straight.

SkullV

Thunderbunny.....
You wanna see heat soak?
Before the intercooler (and clutch):
First run: 281.1hp / 301.2tq
Third run: 271.6hp / 292.8

Have you installed your intercooler yet?

Damn straight.

Not yet, god willing I can do it next weekend. It's the same intercooler that U-20T runs on his big turbo car though, so I'm not worried about it's performance. Engine harness is supposed to be in by next Friday. I actually got the most power/tq on my third pull though so I want to double check and make sure the OEM Tiguan intercooler is the same as the GTI

lamb110

Go Kart Champion
Not yet, god willing I can do it next weekend. It's the same intercooler that U-20T runs on his big turbo car though, so I'm not worried about it's performance. Engine harness is supposed to be in by next Friday. I actually got the most power/tq on my third pull though so I want to double check and make sure the OEM Tiguan intercooler is the same as the GTI
You're gonna pick up some power when you do install that intercooler.

jrokami13

Ready to race!

What heat soak are you talking about?[/QUOTE]

Nice numbers! I would love to see some numbers from someone running a K04 with an SPM intercooler to help me make up my mind.

lamb110

Go Kart Champion
Nice numbers! I would love to see some numbers from someone running a K04 with an SPM intercooler to help me make up my mind.

I'll be completely honest with you, just go ahead and get the SPM intercooler. I doubt the APR will make much a difference at the K04 level of power.

Now if you want great customer service, an awesome warranty and a solid company that you know wont disspear overnight get the APR intercooler.

seangti1

Passed Driver's Ed
I'll be completely honest with you, just go ahead and get the SPM intercooler. I doubt the APR will make much a difference at the K04 level of power.

Now if you want great customer service, an awesome warranty and a solid company that you know wont disspear overnight get the APR intercooler.

I would have to argue that, SPM has great customer service too, on par with APR, but then again they are a starting company that would be the smart thing to do to get more customers. When I ordered from them, Dan from SPM kept updates and answered all the questions I could possibly have. Now this could seem like I'm bashing APR which I'm not I love them and everything they do, I would buy their products over anyones anyday given I have the proper budget. Recently I had a bad run in with their customer service and it was a total nightmare, not sure how it could have been any worse, sure they came through and I'm sure I'm just one of those unlucky ones. Was still one of the worst run ins with customer service I could ever have. In no way do I think it would happen again but thank god it is over with.