GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR Presents the MK6 Oil Catch Can System

timneedscoffee10

Go Kart Champion
So I'm a bit confused.. Retails OEM PCV which is good. But wont the rear PCV port be under pressure with the plug and eventually lead to the PCV plate failing?

Arin posted earlier that the front and rear ports are linked, only separated by a check valve. So blocking off the rear won't cause a pressure build up... All the gasses escape through the front into the can.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

RaySkodaTSI

Ready to race!
Interesting... I've another relevant question.. dumping the 'caught' vapor back into the turbo inlet vs dumping it into the intake manifold.. I'd rather clean intake manifold than remove gunk from the intercooler and all piping? Or does the turbo do a good job of burning off the oil vapors that bypass the catch can?

timneedscoffee10

Go Kart Champion
Interesting... I've another relevant question.. dumping the 'caught' vapor back into the turbo inlet vs dumping it into the intake manifold.. I'd rather clean intake manifold than remove gunk from the intercooler and all piping? Or does the turbo do a good job of burning off the oil vapors that bypass the catch can?

My intake piping is already coated in oil... That's a large part of the reason I wanted a CC in the first place. The CC will significantly reduce oil accumulation in the intake track.

timneedscoffee10

Go Kart Champion
Larger than a soda can for sure....maybe 24oz? I'll get some pictures tomorrow so you can see

Okay so I was way off :). The can is 6.5 inches with a 2" cap, so 4.5 inch tall canister, and is 2.75" in diameter.

I'm calculating a volume then of 26.7 inch^3, which translates to about 14 US fl oz

Still bigger than a soda can - but nowhere near 24 oz! :).

They recommend never letting it get more than half full, so you should be looking at a 7 ounce drain interval.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Speeddemon691

Go Kart Champion
Also, I got rained out today, so the engine bay is still filthy, but here's a better picture of it installed

Should of taken advantage of the rain and thrown some simple green degreaser on that engine lol. [emoji16]

mr wrong

Drag Racing Champion
Is there any modification/trimming that can be done to retain the engine cover?

Arin@APR

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor

The can is designed to trap the junk, so hopefully nothing gets by but cleaner gasses. It's catching the gunk as much as possible to prevent it from getting into your intake directly.

You can't run the can to the manifold alone. Think about how the engine works when there's boost pressure. Boost would go from manifold -> leak into can, pressurizing it -> blast full force into the PCV system.

All the pressure building up in your crankcase at that point would have nowhere to go. Remember, the gasses in the crankcase build up much faster when you're boosting the engine hard. So, they can only go slipping past the rings, or maybe blow up the PCV and blasting out the rear plug if not alleviated. In that scenario, the can would only work when you're off the throttle, so no good.

Is there any modification/trimming that can be done to retain the engine cover?

I believe so. There is an engine removal hook that would need to be removed, then the edge may be trimmed to fit.

zrickety

The Fixer
Cover blocks some sound but is mainly cosmetic.

Speeddemon691

Go Kart Champion
I'm down, it would be the perfect time to compare to the newly installed ECS Catch Can which I listed my concerns on their layout and setup in their product launch thread.

Anyone else want to see a review on this?

Arin?

Nothing yet Hyde? Waiting for a comparison between this and the other CC's you ran. Eagerly waiting! Thanks lol

Speeddemon691

Go Kart Champion
I want to, I just can't find the funds now to buy the APR CC then sell the ECS CC.

Nooooooooo!! [emoji33][emoji33]

I guess I'll step up to the plate but my reviews aren't as good as yours that's for sure lol. Nor will I get a discount for my honest review either lol.

RaySkodaTSI

Ready to race!
Are there any disadvantages to not using the engine cover?

Obviously catch can over engine cover, just wondering if it is worth the trouble to do all that for just cosmetics.

Cover also traps heat. If ur running K04, your better off running the car without it. Your coilpacks will love you for it.