• Bmw M235i

Votes: 41 44.1%
  • VW Mk7 Golf R

Votes: 52 55.9%

• Total voters

corrado917

Go Kart Champion
Mario.
I would get the Xdrive feature on the 228i + Piggy back tune. Not sure how good can be the AWD bimmer's system, but I would take that one over the R, if it's the case you rather go with the Coupe instead of the hatch.
-No happy tailslide
+Lighter than the 6
+AWD
+Cheaper tune
+No being “that” Bimmer afraid of the snow.

P.S:The R has good reviews,specially in the rain:That could apply to snow too.

KO7

Ready to race!
If you can afford it and don't need the hatch practicality, M235i AND IT AIN'T EVEN CLOSE.

AM407

Autocross Champion
It's obscene to me that a small RWD car could weigh more than a small AWD car.

I'd take the R for that reason alone, and I still think the R is a bit of a porker.

PrayforMojo

Go Kart Champion
balls, golf R runs about the same times with a tune and will be a lot faster than the bmw on a non-prepped surface

No doubt the R is the bang for buck car. If our basement wasn't full of never installed MK6 parts, ours would be destined for trade once the R lands here.

m3bs

Passed Driver's Ed
If not the R, I'll hold out for the M2. Unless the R400 makes it here at a realistic price. Then again, the GT350 looks interesting. Decisions, decisions.

Lots of interesting cars hitting the market now.

veedoubleme

Go Kart Champion
How is your winter? The thing about any fast 2wd car here in MN is that it's only fast 6 months of the year. The rest of the time it has shitty tires and shitty traction. Right now my stock Audi Q5 2.0T Quattro can take my stage 2 GTI. It'll be that way from now until next spring when it's warm enough for sticky rubber again. Having a quick car for 6 months of the year is a lot less entertaining than having a quick car 12 months of the year.

My next car will be AWD. Period.

Mk6Mario

Passed Driver's Ed
How is your winter? The thing about any fast 2wd car here in MN is that it's only fast 6 months of the year. The rest of the time it has shitty tires and shitty traction. Right now my stock Audi Q5 2.0T Quattro can take my stage 2 GTI. It'll be that way from now until next spring when it's warm enough for sticky rubber again. Having a quick car for 6 months of the year is a lot less entertaining than having a quick car 12 months of the year.

Good point. I live in new jersey so yes our winters are filled with rain and snow...the golf R would def have the upper advantage when it comes to traction in all types of weather and it being my daily kind of makes me think twice.....

All in all i think my decision will be made on the day i test drive both cars.....

theunholy

Go Kart Champion
Good point. I live in new jersey so yes our winters are filled with rain and snow...the golf R would def have the upper advantage when it comes to traction in all types of weather and it being my daily kind of makes me think twice.....

All in all i think my decision will be made on the day i test drive both cars.....
I think its pretty simple... If you lived in the area where winter are rainy and snowy, Golf R is for you. For other places thats won't snow in the winter... get a M235i, but it will be expensive. For me I will just get one with one or two options like RVC and H&K sound, AT or MT your choice. around $46k

reelknead1

Go Kart Champion
There are a couple things you should consider. The M235i is a N55 motor, these do fairly well with tunes but not nearly the monsters that the N54s were. I'm assuming you know this if you plan on modifying the car but figured I would mention it.

I currently have a 328i M-Sport which has the N20 motor. I've driven a car with a Stage 1 tune and wasn't impressed, coming from a GTI with a Stage 1 APR tune. I felt the piggy back tune was very laggy. It made the car feel as though it was being driven with a massive turbo just without the massive amount of power. Overall the N20 is quick with a tune but nothing compared to a tuned N55 or N54.

Another useful piece of information is if you're planning on going with the manual gear box, take an extended test drive. Maybe its different with the inline 6 but in my N20 it is awful. The throttle response is so bad that I stall letting the clutch out at least twice a week to and from work. Its driving me crazy and making me wish I went with the 8 speed auto.

My suggestions would be spend some time on the 2addicts forum and see what people like and dislike. As others have said though the price difference between the two cars is quite large.

I hope that helps.

Tk_mkv1

Go Kart Champion
It's obscene to me that a small RWD car could weigh more than a small AWD car.

I'd take the R for that reason alone, and I still think the R is a bit of a porker.

thats nothing new to bmw's, an e46 m3 is just as heavy as an m235i as well as power, wheelbase, etc, 1 series is about 3,200-3,300. mk5 gti is also 3,200. bmw's started getting fatter once the e60's and e90's started

NJ winter is obviously not as bad as the north midwest, i live in Va so 2-3 hours away from jersey (philly to be exact), even when theres 5 inches of snow, almost everything is closed anyway.

My reason for m235i is more balanced, rwd etc. only good on non-frozen weather conditions, Golf R is more fun and more usable in the snow. But i believe winter tires are doable on the m235, i saw people on v8 mustangs forums threw snow tires and they seem to do the job fine.

golf r is a great car, no doubt, but switching from gti to an R which is almost the same car minus the power bump and a al all wheel drive is meh, but thats just my opinion. winter tires on m235 is doable and can have some fun.